Discount groceries in Zurich and elsewhere

• Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    18 July 2019 at 20:02:28 #822926

Someone told me that they heard about a new discount grocery store, most likely somewhere in the Zurich train station, that sold less than perfect fruit and vegetables and also items like pre-made sandwiches that were a day old, things like that. They didn’t know the name of it. Does anyone know the details about this store? I am familiar with all other grocery stores in Switzerland. If this new type of discount store is also in any other city, I’d love to know that too. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 3:55:21 #918156

Hello Gailannski,

There are two such things I know about in Zurich near the station.

One is a shop in the “Niederdorf”, parts of the Old Town, where bread, buns, cakes, etc. are sold from the day before at a cheaper price:
    http://www.aess-bar.ch/index.html, unfortunately not in English

Then there is a group of people who have a project to sell “unperfect” vegetables and fruit, so the ones, which supermarkets won’t sell because they don’t fit into their perception of sell-able food. They have a stall in the Zurich main station (HB), every Thursday and Friday, in the underground shopping area of the station.

Best,
    Steph

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    20 July 2019 at 12:43:25 #918157

Appreciate your help! Thanks!

• The thread ‘Discount groceries in Zurich and elsewhere’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.