Cable car usage with Swiss Travel Pass & Flex

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 3:13:54 #811003

Hi

If I take the free Mt Pilatus trip or do a discounted 50% off trip to Gornergrat (or elsewhere) or travel on a discounted cable car does this count as a travel day on the swiss travel pass or swiss travel pass flex even if I don’t travel on a train, bus or boat on the same day?

Kind regards

Sandy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 8:34:03 #859761

Hi Sandy,

Yes it counts as a day used on a Swiss Travel Pass Flex (to get free transport you must write in the date of use for any form of transport in Switzerland (train, gondola, cogwheel, bus, boat etc).

On the Swiss Travel Pass the days are consecutive after the first day of use (chosen by you) so a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass started on May 1 will only be valid for May 1, 2 and 3 whether you travel on those days or not.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 11:09:09 #859762

Thanks for confirming that for me, I guess it’s not really free as you have already paid for the pass for that day, so the cost of the trip is 50% of the full price plus the daily cost of your pass – is that correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 16:29:03 #859763

Hi Sandy,

Yes, once you buy the Swiss Travel Pass Flex, you still have to buy a ticket from Zermatt to Gornergrat (at 50% the regular price).

There are only a few routes that you still have to buy a ticket with the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex when traveling.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2017 at 3:28:12 #859764

>> I guess it’s not really free as you have already paid for the pass for that day, so the cost of the trip is 50% of the full price plus the daily cost of your pass – is that correct?

Yes, if that is the only trip you make that day using your Swiss Travel Pass. But you can make unlimited trips on any day using your pass, and travel for unlimited distances. So it’s not quite that straightforward 🙂

If you are using a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, then it makes sense to use it on the days that would otherwise be the most expensive to buy tickets for.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Cable car usage with Swiss Travel Pass & Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.