Can't reserve Golden Pass train on May 26, 2018

Can't reserve Golden Pass train on May 26, 2018

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
dkanaly
dkanaly
5 posts
Mar 23, 2018 - 5:26 PM

Hello!

Would like to travel on the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Interlaken on May 26th; I am not able to make seat reservations. Am I too early or is it full?

Lucas
Lucas
7223 posts
expert &
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:31 PM in reply to dkanaly

Hi dkanaly and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Due to construction on the Golden Pass line between Montreux and Zweisimmen reservations can not be made until June 1. For about 10 minutes of the trip you will be taken off the train and put on buses to get around the rail construction.

Last modified on Mar 23, 2018 - 8:32 PM by Lucas
rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Mar 23, 2018 - 8:38 PM in reply to dkanaly

Don’t let the bus detour deter you.

dkanaly
dkanaly
5 posts
Mar 23, 2018 - 10:19 PM

OK-thanks!

I hate to be so clueless but how do I book this trip? I plan on buying a 3 day pass. If I book on sbb site it seems to take me to through Bern. I'm actually trying to end up in Interlaken.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Mar 23, 2018 - 10:24 PM in reply to dkanaly

You need Montreux to Interlaken via Zweisimmen for timetable search.

With a Swiss Travel Pass just roll up to the station at the appointed time and hop on board. No bookings required. πŸ€“

You just need to show the inspector πŸ‘©πŸ»‍✈️on the train your Pass if asked.

dkanaly
dkanaly
5 posts
Mar 24, 2018 - 3:30 PM

Ok - ..... from what I can understand, my trip from Lausanne to Interlaken would look like: Lausanne-Montreux (11:17-11:38) by train, change in Montreux to Montboven (11:44-12:29), then change to bus Montboven-Chateau-dOex (12:31-12:43), then train Chateau-dOex to Zweisimmen (12:45-13:33), then train Zweisimmen-Interlaken (13:38-14:49). Total time: 3 hours, 32 minutes. My other option is Lausanne-Bern-Interlaken, 1 change, total time: 2 hours. Is it worth all the schlepping with luggage to see the scenery on the Golden Pass route? I really wanted to work in a scenic train on this trip but it's looking pretty grim - or not? I am just beginning to work on the Switzerland leg of my trip - arriving from Paris on 5/24 (to ???Geneva/Interlaken/Lucerne) and departing Zurich on 5/29. Would like to purchase railpass and use it as much as possible, have already been to Lucerne/Titlis but with different son, would like a couple of nights in Berner Oberland but other than that no real agenda. If you have the time, I would appreciate any thoughts on this before I proceed any further.

Arno
Arno
10757 posts
expert &
Mar 24, 2018 - 4:43 PM in reply to dkanaly

Hello Dkanaly,

It's hard to decide if it's worth it for someone else. I've been on holiday in Zweisimmen when they were working on the railroad as well. So it was buses only and an extra change between Zweisimmen and Saanen. It was perfectly doable for day trips with not much luggage, although I would have preferred the trains.

Alternatively you can ship your luggage to Interlaken so you can travel light. Or you can take another route which is also pretty nice: Lausanne to Brig, change to the regional train to Spiez, then change to Interlaken. All train, 2 changes.

Last modified on Mar 24, 2018 - 4:44 PM by Arno
rockoyster
rockoyster
3725 posts
expert
Mar 24, 2018 - 7:43 PM in reply to Arno

If you follow Arno’s suggestion make sure you add via Kandersteg to travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route between Brig and Spiez.

If you are at Brig you are sooooooo close to Zermatt and the Matterhorn. Do you have time for a side trip or are your Interlaken plans locked in?

Schilthorn is great value (free) with Swiss Travel Pass when in BO. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn and Allmendhubel if you have time. All covered by STP. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018