Route in Jungfrau region doable in 1 day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 10:15:07 #814513

Hi,

I need some advice to plan my itinerary at Jungrau region.

I will reach Lauterbrunnen on 17/4/18 afternoon and plan to spend evening in the lauterbrunnen valley. On the following day I wish to go to Jungfraujoch and hope I can do a short hiking along Kleine Scheidegg as well as have a walk around Grindelwald.

Is it possible to do a route like this: Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Mannlichen. Take a walk from there to Kleine Scheidegg. Then take the train to Jungfraujoch. After sight-seeing at Jungfraujoch, take train to Grindelwald then back to Lauterbrunnen? Am I too greedy to do all in a day? And is it more costly for the train ticket if I purchase it separately than return ticket between 2 fixed station?

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 14:54:56 #877256

Hi pstano629,

The hike Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg will not be accessible. In mid-winter it’s usually maintained as a winter hiking trail, but in the off season they may shut down the route due to melting snow and mud.

There is a circular route up to and back from the Jungfraujoch. You can go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa).

It’s not more costly when you purchase the train tickets separately. Are you by any chance carrying a Swiss Rail Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 16:36:54 #877257

Dear Chantal,

Thanks for enlighten me that the hiking route is closed during my visit. Then i shall skip that and take the circular route to jungfraujoch.

I Will buy the Swiss rail pass but I will only be in Switzerland for 7 days. Considering whether should I buy half fare card for first 2 days in Jungfrau region and last day from Zurich to airport, the 4 days in middle of the trip I will use Swiss pass?

As I saw from some forum suggesting that as we can get 50% discount for the train to Jungfrau rather than 25% from Swiss pass. Any opinion on this?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 20:54:50 #877258

I would recommend to read “How to choose the best rail pass”. A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can download an Excel spreadsheet to help you do the math and use the Swiss train timetable to work out the fares for any trip.

When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With a Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the area of validity map.

Different rail passes do give different discounts on top attractions. You can find that information when you read about the different rail passes here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 6:49:14 #877259

Thanks Chantal,

I will do the manual calculation first before decide on which pass to take. Thank you very much!

• The thread ‘Route in Jungfrau region doable in 1 day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.