13 day in Sept 2020 in Lucerne, Wengen, Montreux

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2019 at 13:49:09 #824047

I’m planning a 12 night trip to Switzerland in September 2020, it will be our first time here. It seems like the more research I do, the more things I want to go see! I’m beginning to wonder if I have too many mountain trips on this itinerary. Here’s what mountains I have planned so far:

3 nights Luzern – Mt. Pilatus via Golden Round

5 nights Wengen – Schilthorn with Trumellbach & Staubbach Falls, Grindelwald First & Bachalpsee lake, Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg hike

3 nights Montreux – Glacier 3000

1 night Zurich

Too many? Just right?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    1 October 2019 at 19:18:40 #922977

Hi Navymoon,

it really depends on your tastes and interests, as well as your group (any children?)

I would say just right: you skip Titlis, Jungfraujoch, Zermatt, and many others. You could also skip Glacier 3000 but it depends on the other things you want to do. It is probably better to be modest from the planning stage, rather than realize at the last minute that “doing” Titlis and Pilatus (and why not Rigi?) on the same day is just too much.

Enjoy your trip!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 October 2019 at 21:25:26 #922978

Hi navymom-

Snowman has offered a balanced perspective, correctly noting that it is wise to not plan too many items for the same day.

I do not remember from your earlier posts exactly what your interests are and your motivations for visiting Switzerland.

So, before I venture further comments, could you briefly refresh my memory?

What to do or not to do always has alternatives. So, if you do not visit a lot of mountains, what might you like to do?

I was in Switzerland from September 11 through September 26th, had beautiful weather everyday…maybe a few showers one day….and only spent two days in the Alps…at Wengen. However, I’ve been up there a lot, with several days most years. Mostly I visited areas in the lower elevations. I found two locations deserving of repetitive attention for the “Alpenblick” (view of the Alps) for photography on absolutely crystal clear days in the future. Always seekingto add to tthe collection. Slightly too hazy this time, although Photoshop allows me to de-haze images a bit.

I did notice while in Ligerz and while in Sugiez that there were a lot of wine festivals…the one in Motier tempted me in particular.

There also a fair number of Jodlerfests in September, here and there, and the Alpabzugs – cattle descents from the alpine pastures.

So- what would you choose to do if you did not visit every famous mountain in Switzerland?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2019 at 21:50:20 #922979

It will be hubby & I (early 50s) on this trip, our first to Switzerland. We are looking to take in the scenery, visit a few mountain tops, easy to moderate hikes and visit a few old towns.

Why Switzerland? We saw pictures on TV and were blown away and said …LETS GO!!! 😁. Then I started researching the area and came up with the 3 bases I’m working with. The Oberland Region seems to “speak” to me… mountains, waterfalls, meadows, hikes, vistas, cute towns, etc. everything I read about I want to go see, but know I can’t do everything in one trip.

Other things I’m hoping to do :

Luzern – explore Old Town, I have an extra full day here that I don’t have anything planned .

Wengen – Grindelwald Glacier Canyon, explore Wengen & Mürren, and a full day here with nothing yet.

Montreux – Chateau de Chillon & a Lake Geneva lunch cruise, and a full day with nothing planned yet.

Zurich – not sure, depends how late we get here from Montreux and what time our flight is the next day.

thank you for your help!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 October 2019 at 22:58:23 #922980

Any interest in museums?

http://www.rosengart.ch/en/we lcome

http://www.roemerholz.ch/sor/ en/home.html

Visiting villages that are not on the normal tourist routes?

(attached) (ooops…not attached…I have to down sample files. I used them for another purpose. I’ll add them tonight or tomorrow.)

More strenuous alpine hikes?

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-schynigeplatte

Anything else on these lists?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities

Some people can spend two weeks in the Jungfrau region………

I like the lake boat cruises on Lake Lucerne, although Lake Geneva is also quite nice.

Lake Lucerne has more options for different routes:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetables-fares/seasonal-timetables.html

This thread about a hike at the south end of the lake includes pictures that give a feeling for that part of the lake:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2019 at 23:15:33 #922981

Thank you Slowpoke.

Museums… probably not.

More strenuous hikes? Nothing more than a “moderate” hike.

The culinary activities are interesting… making (eating) chocolate and/or Cheese, sign me up!!!

Since I’m planning on the Golden Round ticket for Mt. Pilatus, I thought I’d pick a different lake for a cruise, should i reconsider?

Any not so tourists places to go from any of the 3 bases I’m using I should be considering? I’m open to suggestions. We’re happy to go off the beaten path & explore.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 October 2019 at 23:54:06 #922982

That gives me some ideas. More tomorrow or later this week. I’m trying to get some outdoor work on the house finished before it gets too cold to paint.

Re- Pilatus…you only get a short boat ride on the less interesting ( for me) part of the lake.

Search this site for various threads about Hammetschand, as well as the internet. See what you think.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2019 at 13:23:43 #922983

Hi Navymom,

if you like chocolate and cheese – have already you planned Gruyeres and Broc with the cheese- and the chocolate factory (Maison Cailler)? You can do that from Montreux. Gruyeres is also a little medieval town with a castle on a hill.

Also wine tasting in the Lavaux area is a good idea, if you’d like to try te gastronomy. See these too: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/culinarytours

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2019 at 18:57:50 #922984

Thank you for the suggestion of Gruyeres & Broc, I’ll be adding it to my itinerary and plan a full day for that. If possible, we could go to Le Moleson and skip Glacier 3000.

Hammetschwand looks very interesting. I’ll have to do more research on it.

Thank you for the information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2019 at 5:06:26 #922985

Although I love Le Moleson, Glacier 3000 is more monumental and impressive than Moleson. Le Moleson is not that high (only 2002 m) and has fewer things to do on the summit (for the same reason it is not that touristy and cheaper). I think you shouldn’t skip Glacier 3000.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2019 at 12:40:11 #922986

Thank you lldiko! When I first started looking at everything in the Gruyeres area I figured why not add Le Moleson, BUT once I wrote out travel times to Gruyeres, and the amount of time I estimate we’d need for the touring the castle, walking around town, and going to both factories I realized Le Moleson would be too much.

So Glacier 3000 is back on the itinerary!!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 October 2019 at 13:00:47 #922987

Hi Navtmom –

Ildiko is doing a good job with some ideas for day trips, so I’ve not rushed to add ideas.

I was going to suggest the Show Dairy ( die Schaukäserei) in Affoltern im Emmental:

emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/en/

It is reached by train+bus from Luzern….1 hr 23 minute trip each way, so about a half day round trip which can include lunch.

But there is one in Gruyeres.

http://www.lamaisondugruyere. ch/visits-discoveries/the-cheese-factory/

I like the one in the Emmental better because of the “extras” as noted in the images attached. And, the Emmental is a nice part of Switzerland to visit to get into the heart of the country, and has attractive scenery. A couple of images, attached. Nice country for easy walks, and some of the nicer sights need a car or a walk to get to them.

I certainly would not do both, but if the one in Gruyeres does not fit your timing, you might consider a trip to the Emmental.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2019 at 15:55:17 #922988

Thanks Slowpoke, I’ll look into Emmental, but I’m hoping La Madison du Gruyere will fit into our schedule!

I truly appreciate everyone’s help!!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 October 2019 at 16:04:19 #922989

<<“Madison”>>

Maison

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2019 at 16:17:22 #922990

Good ole auto correct!!! 😁😂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 October 2019 at 16:20:38 #922991

The spill chucker on my computer tries to control me, too.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘13 day in Sept 2020 in Lucerne, Wengen, Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.