A Swiss Travel Pass for my stay in Lauterbrunnen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 12:32:18 #813662

Hi…

I am travelling to Interlaken, Murren, Schilthorn & Gimmerwald in December and will be staying in Lauterbrunnen.

Question: Do i need to purchase a Swiss Pass for a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 children) or purchasing Individual Tickets would be better…Help please, thanks.

Hazmi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 18:06:09 #871907

Hi Hazmi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The only way to know if a rail pass (like the Swiss Travel Pass) is a better deal than point to point tickets is to plan out your trip itinerary for each day and do the math to compare prices.

Our page on how to choose the best rail pass has an excel sheet to help you do this.

Let us know if you have further questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 1:09:15 #871908

Hi Hazmi,

>> I am travelling to Interlaken, Murren, Schilthorn & Gimmerwald in December and will be staying in Lauterbrunnen.

If you are there between 13 Nov and 8 Dec 2017, the cable car to the Schilthorn will be closed for maintenance.

>> Do i need to purchase a Swiss Pass for a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 children)

How old are your children?

If you are going to be spending your entire time in the Jungfrau Region, you might want to consider getting the Hiking and Sledging Pass, which provides unlimited free travel on the following:

• Trains between Interlaken Ost, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Mürren
    • Trains Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and Eigergletscher
    • Gondola Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen
    • Cable car Wengen to Männlichen
    • Gondola Grindelwald to First
    • Bus Grindelwald to Bussalp until 16.00
    • Funicular Mürren to Allmendhubel
    • Bus and cable car Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg-Mürren
    • Cable car and train Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren

If you get a Hiking and Sledging Pass for at least 3 days, you also get 50% discount on tickets between:

• Mürren-Schilthorn
    • Eigergletscher-Jungfraujoch

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauhikingsledgingpa ss

I have attached a map that shows the coverage of the Hiking and Sledging Pass. However, depending on exactly when in December you will be there, some mountain transport might be closed.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 13:14:55 #871909

Hi Alpenrose

Thank you for your reply. My boys are 11 and 8 yrs old respectively. I will check out the Hiking and Sledging Pass.

Thanks a million

Hazmi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 14:16:47 #871910

Hi Alpenrose

For the Hiking and Sledging Pass, does the Train Tickets valid for both 1st class or only for 2nd class?

Hazmi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 22:42:27 #871911

Hi Hazmi,

>> For the Hiking and Sledging Pass, does the Train Tickets valid for both 1st class or only for 2nd class?

It is valid in 2nd class only. There are no trains offering first-class seating beyond Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen in any case.

If you wanted to, you could purchase a first-class upgrade for the sectors Interlaken Ost-Grindelwald or Interlaken Ost-Lauterbrunnen. However, as these trips only take 34 minutes and 20 minutes respectively, you would have to consider whether it would actually be worth it.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘A Swiss Travel Pass for my stay in Lauterbrunnen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.