About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Do I need both Swiss Travel & Jungfrau Travel Pass
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Do I need both Swiss Travel & Jungfrau Travel Pass

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cheryl Niu
Cheryl Niu
4 posts
Jun 17, 2022 - 9:41 AM

Hello! Good day everyone.

I need some help on the train passes as I'm really confused with which pass to get.

I'm going to Switzerland for 15 days in late July. I will be going to Zurich, Lucern, Jungfrau region, Montruex and Zermatt.

As I will be travelling to a few cities, I was thinking to get the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days.

However, I saw that the Jungfrau region mountain railways are not free for Swiss Travel Pass holders, with some 25% or 50% discount. I will be staying at Jungfrau region for 5-6 days. Hence, I'm not sure if I should get the Jungfrau Travel pass as well? Noted there's some discount if I were to purchase it with Swiss Travel Pass.

In Jungfrau region, I will want to visit the Jungfraujoch, The First, Schilthorn, as well as the towns in Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald.

Below are some options that I could think of, could someone kindly help me with it please? Really confused with the different types of options. Want to save money where possible :)

Option A: Get the Swiss Travel Pass for 15 days, and purchase the Jungfrau mountain rails separately with Swiss Travel Pass discount

Option B: Should I purchase Swiss Travel Pass for days that's I'm not in Jungfrau region, and then purchase Jungfrau travel pass for the days I'm in the area?

Option C: Get both the Swiss Travel Pass and Jungfrau Travel Pass

I think there's also Swiss Travel Half fare, not sure it's applicable for me since I'm going to many cities. Or it is good choice too? Thank you everyone in advance for helping! Sorry to sound really confused here. :)

Anna
Anna
3881 posts
expert &
Jun 17, 2022 - 10:47 AM in reply to Cheryl Niu

Hi Cheryl Niu,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Based on your plans, I think getting the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass (STP) is sensible. Whether you need a Jungfrau Travel Pass in addition to the STP will depend on your plans in the Jungfrau region. With the STP, you still need discounted tickets to do mountain excursions. This includes cable cars to Grindelwald First, Männlichen, Harder Kulm and Schynige Platte. With the JTP, additional tickets are not needed except for trips to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. So it's best to look at your itinerary again and see where the JTP would benefit you. Otherwise having the STP only may be sufficient.

You can compare the two passes by downloading and studying the validity map carefully:

Be sure to check this page out for practical tips on how to choose the best railpass.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Dbrimstone20
Dbrimstone20
2 posts
Jun 26, 2022 - 8:32 AM

I have the same dilemma. My plan is to buy a Swiss Travel Pass Flex (6 days) and Jungfrau Travel Pass (8 days).

My travel itinerary are as follows:

July 5 - Arrival date in Geneva and will stay till the 7th July (2 days)

July 7-15, Will be based in Jungfrau Region (Wengen is my home base for 8 days)

July 15-17, Will stay in Lucerne (2 days)

July 17-19, Will stay in Zurich (2 days)

I plan to use the STP Flex in Geneva and will deactivate it online on the 7th of July to use the JTP from July 7-15 for my Jungfrau region stay.

I will then reactivate the STP starting July 15-19 to use it in Lucerne and Zurich

Please advise if it's feasible.

Also, regarding the discount price for JTP, I understand that I would be able to get the reduced price once I validated the STP (Flex)? Let me know if this is right.

Thank you in advance. :-)

Arno
Arno
15661 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2022 - 9:58 AM in reply to Dbrimstone20

Hi Dbrimstone20, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Unfortunately you can only profit from the discount on the Jungfrau Travel Pass if you use Swiss Travel Pass Flex travel days at the exact same dates on which you use your Jungfrau Travel Pass. That's why we usually do not recommend this option. The combination you mention can still work, just with the full Jungfrau Travel Pass price. Please find details below:

Note that there's no need to deactivate your Swiss Travel Pass Flex on the days you don't use it. All you have to do is register the days on which you want to use it and get a day ticket:

What are your plans while you're in Geneva? If you plan to stay within the town, you could consider just getting regular local tickets. Then check if a cheap Saver Day Pass is available for your transfer to the Jungfrau region on July 7. Use a Jungfrau Travel Pass or a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (with a much wider area of validity and thus much more options) during your stay in Wengen, plus a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass for the remaining days in Lucerne and Zurich:

And then there's the option of a Swiss Half Fare Card with discounted tickets and a discounted local/regional pass for your stay in Wengen. To me this is less flexible, as the Swiss Half Fare Card requires you to buy discounted tickets for each and every trip:

Only a detailed list of plans and calculations can tell which option is best for your itinerary: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

I hope this is some food for thought :-).

If you have further questions about your plans that aren't directly related to the Jungfrau Travel Pass/Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) combination, you an best open a new thread.

Dbrimstone20
Dbrimstone20
2 posts
Jun 26, 2022 - 10:14 AM in reply to Arno

Okay, this is noted. Thanks for your advice. :-)

Marggy
Marggy
51 posts
Jul 3, 2022 - 8:20 PM

Sorry to jump in on Cheryl Nui’s post but I have a similar question about the Jungfrau Pass. My husband and I will be spending about a month in Switzerland from mid-August to mid-September. We will be driving and plan to purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card. We will be spending 4 nights in Bonigen (near Interlaken) late August and are trying to work out whether it is also worth purchasing the Jungfrau Pass. Our plans for the 3 days we are there are as follows:

1.Go up to Jungfraujoch – one way via Wenger and Lauterbrunnen and the other via Grindelwald. I found the information at www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere extremely helpful.

2.Cruise on Lake Thun.

3.Go up to Schilthorn – up via Stechelberg and down via Grutschalp (we will also visit Murren on the way down). The information at www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/gettingthere is fantastic.

As we are staying in Bonigen we will also receive the free Interlaken Guest Card. I understand that the Swiss Half Fare Card would mean that we would receive 25% discount on the Jungfrau Pass – is this accurate?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on whether it will be worth our while to purchase the Jungfrau Pass. Thank you.

Anna
Anna
3881 posts
expert &
Jul 4, 2022 - 2:59 AM in reply to Marggy

Hi Marggy,

The Interlaken Guest Card has a limited validity area, which does not include Lauterbrunnen,, Wengen, Grindelwald and Mürren. But with the Swiss Half Fare Card, you can enjoy discounted travel to these destinations (including Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn). The return ticket from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch with the Swiss Half Fare Card cost roughly CHF117: https://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets. If you have the Jungfrau Travel Pass, you pay only CHF75 and you also get to travel for free on public transport and selected mountain excursions in the region. You can check out the JTP validity map here: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/validity

And yes, if you have the Swiss Half Fare Card you can purchase the Jungfrau Travel Pass at a reduced price. I think combining the two passes is a sensible option if you plan on doing several mountain excursions during your trip.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Jul 17, 2022 - 8:55 AM by Arno
Marggy
Marggy
51 posts
Jul 15, 2022 - 9:29 PM in reply to Anna

Thank you Anna. It is now just over 4 weeks before we depart for Switzerland and as this is a holiday that we had originally planned for 2020, we are quite excited to be actually coming.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022