Do the Swiss pass fare vary as the date closes in

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2017 at 19:31:41 #811168

Hi,

I am Alok and planning a trip to Switzerland in June 2017 and I was planning to buy swiss passes as I understand it covers a lot of trains within with some discounts on trip to titlis and pilatus and etc.

I haven’t purchased the passes yet. Are there any limits for those passes or whether the rates vary as the date closes in. Also if there is a possibility if I can purchase it on the same day of travel and i will get the same at the same price.

This swiss pass once purchased, will i get a online copy which is to be printed just like e tickets or there is some other process like the printed copies would not be valid during the rides and actually i might need to take some hardcopy tickets in exchange of the online ticket. Please let me know.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 March 2017 at 21:03:43 #860389

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps Alok!

The pass you need is the Swiss Travel Pass (not the Swiss Pass, which is for residents). You’ll find purchase options and prices here: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price. The basic price in Swiss francs won’t change between now and June, but the price in other currencies may increase or decrease due to exchange rates. Also there may or may not be promotions you can take advantage of. The linked page as well as this forum keeps you informed about that.

Yes, you can order a pass that can be printed at home. The PDF document you’ll receive needs to be printed and it’s the paper that must be presented on request once on board. The PDF is a good backup just in case, so you can print it again if needed. The easiest way to order is to go to the web shop of the Federal Railways at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 16:11:59 #860390

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the useful information. Very much helpful.

Another thing i want to ask is if the Swiss Travel Pass applicable in any city travel within Switzerland by any local transport like Bus, Train, Tram and also boat. Further do i need to pay any additional travelling in any scenic train like Golden pass route.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 March 2017 at 16:39:56 #860391

Hello Alok Datta,

Yes, urban transportation in many larger towns is included. The ride with the Golden Pass train is as well. Only Golden Pass seat reservations (if you’d want those) have to be paid for additionally. Please check our Swiss Travel Pass validity page with its list of attractions and downloadable coverage map for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 21:58:26 #860392

Thanks Annika.

In the link – http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity, i can see Montreaux to Lucerne is free for Swiss Travel Pass holders. I have 2 questions:

a. I am planning to travel from Lucerne to Interlakken Ost. Does that mean Swiss Travel pass will not cover this route. If you could clarify on that.

b. If I just take Swiss travel pass and dont do any seat reservations, then there is a risk, I might not get a seat on the specific day when i need to board the train. Is my understanding correct ?

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 9:05:10 #860393

Hi Alok,

A. Lucerne to Interlaken Ost is included in the Swiss Travel Pass – be sure to open the PDF may to see all routes covered the by pass – virtually everything in Switzerland.

B. Seat reservations are not needed on any train except a few panoramic trains such as the Golden Pass. You should never have an issue getting a seat on any train – the odd exception is a very busy commuter train within say Zurich or bigger towns when people are going to/from work but even then it is rare and won’t last longer than 10 or 15 minutes as people slowly get off at their train stops.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 9:36:00 #860394

Thanks Lucas.

I am planning to travel in June with my wife and I will have some luggage (not much though – 1 suitcase and a backpack each). So as you said hopefully that will also not be an issue if i dont reserve a seat.

Another option I was thinking if can continue to plan my Jungfraouch trip from staying in Lucerne itself(i.e. if not staying at Interlaken) , will that be a feasible option in your opinion. If it is feasible , what should be the route or commute option from Lucerne to Jungfraouch and back to Lucerne again same day and how much will it take for us to be back in Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 13:22:09 #860395

Luzern to Jungfraujoch is about 4 hours each way – so I wouldn’t recommend it as a day trip.

You can search for all train schedules for Switzerland here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Do the Swiss pass fare vary as the date closes in’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.