Do Swiss train stations accept US dollars

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 19:47:29 #816893

Hi,

I would be travelling to swiss from USA.

Do train stations accept USD currency for Jungfrau and Titlis tickets

Note : I have already purchased STP.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 5:51:50 #889466

Hi Ankit,

No, they will not accept USD. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swissfranc

You’ll need to use Swiss Francs when you are in Switzerland. You can get some before you leave the US, exchange at the train station or withdraw from an ATM at the train station with your bank card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 6:26:11 #889467

But i am hoping train station will accept Euro currency or visa credit card?

Pls confirm

Arno
    15482 posts
    26 June 2018 at 7:12:59 #889468

Hi Ankit,

If I recall correctly you will already have a Swiss Travel Pass when you reach Switzerland. So you won’t have to buy a lot of tickets. In cases you do need tickets a credit card or cash (CHF, EUR) will work. Paying in EUR will be expensive as it is a foreign currency so the exchange rate will be relatively high.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 7:29:25 #889469

Thanks Arno.

I was asking for cogwheel and mountain trains, which are not free under STP.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    26 June 2018 at 9:24:58 #889470

Should not be a problem with a credit card.

As has been suggested, you can obtain Swiss francs when you arrive. Withdrawing cash at an ATM via a Visa debit card works for me in different parts of the world.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 20:44:46 #889471

I bought the half fare pass before I arrived in Zurich this week.

In Zurich SBB there was no problem using my Canadian visa (so I would assume US visa would work) and it gave me the choice of using francs or canadian$.

Helene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 9:21:40 #889472

Yes swiss francs works. Moreover I will be in zurich also between 30th and 16th of July. I wish you a safe and enjoyable stay

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    27 June 2018 at 19:46:29 #889473

We had swiss francs with us when we were in Switzerland last year.

Our Visa, American Express, and Mastercard credit cards were a problem in Zurich–a hotel and a restaurant had problems with all credit cards that were from the US, Australia and some parts of Europe on the evening that we had dinner there. Numerous tables weren’t able to use any of their credit cards. I would have thought that the restaurant manager would have known who to call and how to resolve the problem. In Zermatt, there weren’t any problems, they have many tourists throughout the year and the stores and restaurants don’t seem to have any of these issues.

If you are going to use your US credit cards, have the international toll free number handy to call if your card is rejected. The restaurant finally put through our charges –which were significant that night. We called the restaurant the next day and they said that the charges were still outstanding and wanted us to wire money once we were back in the US. We had to get a transaction number to prove that the charges had indeed been sent through the system. Unlike the US, there doesn’t seem to be a number that merchants in Switzerland can quickly call and resolve their issues with credit cards. (I have a client here in the US that does this for restaurants so I know the procedures here).

• The thread ‘Do Swiss train stations accept US dollars’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.