Do Swiss train stations accept US dollars

Do Swiss train stations accept US dollars

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ankit jain21
Ankit jain21
47 posts
Jun 25, 2018 - 7:47 PM

Hi,

I would be travelling to swiss from USA.

Do train stations accept USD currency for Jungfrau and Titlis tickets

Note : I have already purchased STP.

Lucas
Lucas
7222 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 5:51 AM in reply to Ankit jain21

Hi Ankit,

No, they will not accept USD. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swissfranc

You'll need to use Swiss Francs when you are in Switzerland. You can get some before you leave the US, exchange at the train station or withdraw from an ATM at the train station with your bank card.

Last modified on Jun 26, 2018 - 5:52 AM by Lucas
Ankit jain21
Ankit jain21
47 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 6:26 AM

But i am hoping train station will accept Euro currency or visa credit card?

Pls confirm

Arno
Arno
10757 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 7:12 AM in reply to Ankit jain21

Hi Ankit,

If I recall correctly you will already have a Swiss Travel Pass when you reach Switzerland. So you won't have to buy a lot of tickets. In cases you do need tickets a credit card or cash (CHF, EUR) will work. Paying in EUR will be expensive as it is a foreign currency so the exchange rate will be relatively high.

Last modified on Jun 26, 2018 - 7:13 AM by Arno
Ankit jain21
Ankit jain21
47 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 7:29 AM

Thanks Arno.

I was asking for cogwheel and mountain trains, which are not free under STP.

Gunzel
Gunzel
108 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 9:24 AM

Should not be a problem with a credit card.

As has been suggested, you can obtain Swiss francs when you arrive. Withdrawing cash at an ATM via a Visa debit card works for me in different parts of the world.

Enjoy your travels!

Helene
Helene
20 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 8:44 PM in reply to Gunzel

I bought the half fare pass before I arrived in Zurich this week.

In Zurich SBB there was no problem using my Canadian visa (so I would assume US visa would work) and it gave me the choice of using francs or canadian$.

Helene

Last modified on Jun 26, 2018 - 8:46 PM by Helene
Mohermes1965
Mohermes1965
1 post
Jun 27, 2018 - 9:21 AM in reply to Helene

Yes swiss francs works. Moreover I will be in zurich also between 30th and 16th of July. I wish you a safe and enjoyable stay

cam223
cam223
66 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 7:46 PM

We had swiss francs with us when we were in Switzerland last year.

Our Visa, American Express, and Mastercard credit cards were a problem in Zurich--a hotel and a restaurant had problems with all credit cards that were from the US, Australia and some parts of Europe on the evening that we had dinner there. Numerous tables weren't able to use any of their credit cards. I would have thought that the restaurant manager would have known who to call and how to resolve the problem. In Zermatt, there weren't any problems, they have many tourists throughout the year and the stores and restaurants don't seem to have any of these issues.

If you are going to use your US credit cards, have the international toll free number handy to call if your card is rejected. The restaurant finally put through our charges --which were significant that night. We called the restaurant the next day and they said that the charges were still outstanding and wanted us to wire money once we were back in the US. We had to get a transaction number to prove that the charges had indeed been sent through the system. Unlike the US, there doesn't seem to be a number that merchants in Switzerland can quickly call and resolve their issues with credit cards. (I have a client here in the US that does this for restaurants so I know the procedures here).

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018