Can I not board full Swiss trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 13:26:46 #819544

Aside from the specific scenic trains where you make advanced reservations, should I be concerned about not finding a seat on a train? I want to plan an Itinerary with hotels booked in advance, but am fearful that I might find myself and my luggage left on the platform, or be stuck with standing if the train I want is full. Thoughts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 14:51:36 #902459

Hi Lquinn29 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss train system operates similar to a subway system in most countries – just walk on and find a seat.

Like subways, during peak times there may be no seats available for a little while (2 minutes or 20 perhaps). But you would never be left on a station – like a subway train, you just stand if no seats are available.

You can use the timetable for Swiss railways here to see details on anticipated capacity as well (little figures, 1 black, 2 black or 3 red = not busy, a little busy, very busy). http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Also read about seat reservations here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 23:34:20 #902460

Lucas would this be the same for say going to Geneva from Zermatt or just regional trains please?

We are like the person who posted this, wanting to make sure we don’t get left behind because of no booking.

Cheers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 0:01:21 #902461

This comes up quite often on this forum.

You will never be left behind on a platform in Switzerland. Trains are frequent enough to cater for everyone. Like all trains all over the world, at a busy time you might have to stand for a short period but only under very specific circumstances.

I have never in 58 years been unable to find at least a seat – even on a busy train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 0:02:22 #902462

You should have no problem at all Geneva – Zermatt – a journey I have done 100s of times. There are trains twice per hour all day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 1:10:27 #902463

Thanks everyone this information really does help us tourists.

Is there any best train site to use or are they really much of the same.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2019 at 1:55:06 #902464

The SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) is the bible. The SBB mobile app is also extremely useful for buying tickets while travelling or even in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2019 at 10:00:55 #902465

Yes, this would be true for any domestic train in Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Can I not board full Swiss trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.