Do trains run to Jungfrau &Titlis during snowfall?

Do trains run to Jungfrau &Titlis during snowfall?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ankit jain21
Ankit jain21
47 posts
Jun 25, 2018 - 7:46 PM

Hi,

I am seeing thunderstorm/rain/snowfall on 4-6th July.

I am planning to visit Jungfrau and Titlis during that timeframe. Since i have the option of these days only, wanted to confirm do trains/cogwheel/cable car run if it is raining/snowfall/thunderstorm ?

I know it's not the best time time to visit these places but since i do not have option and have to cover these places on these dates only.

1960man
1960man
394 posts
top member
Jun 25, 2018 - 11:10 PM in reply to Ankit jain21

Mountain railways around the world (not just Switzerland) reserve the right to stop running in bad weather. This is for safety reasons (staff and customers) as well as because fewer passengers want to go up a high mountain in poor weather.

However, snowfall is less likely to stop a Swiss mountain railway as many have their peak use in the winter for skiers

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 3:19 AM in reply to Ankit jain21

It is unlikely that the train to the Jungfraujoch will be disrupted in the middle of summer just because of rain, storms or snowfall. Services were suspended a couple of times last winter in severe weather conditions, but those sort of conditions are very different from what is likely to occur in summer. It is not so much the snow and rain as high winds and the danger of avalanches or landslides that will affect the operation of the train.

Disruptions due to high winds are much more common with cableways, and I have experienced this a couple of times. The Titlis gondola may well not operate in adverse weather conditions. You can check the status of the cableway on the following website before heading out to Engelberg or buying a ticket.

www.titlis.ch/en/live/ lifts

Alpenrose

hansaria
hansaria
38 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 4:12 AM in reply to Removed user

Dear Alpenrose Sir, as you stated there were disruption and operation suspended couple of times in last winter,so my visit to titlis/ragi/pillatus in the last week Nov only, so can you please say such suspension of service generally happened which month of the winter....Further, i talked with all three mountain companies through mail, and all confirmed me that their mountain are still very safe in winter and sometimes windy and stormy rainy conditions may face but other day may also sunny warm days...

Further, as your own experiences, if cable car in the midst of the journey and disruption comes through storm and high wind, how much safe remain these journeys specifically in the last week of Nov...thanks.

Arno
Arno
10767 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 4:49 AM

Hi Ankit,

Your travel dates are more than one week away. Weather forecasts for the Alps only start to make sense about 3 days ahead of time. What you see in the forecast now could be totally different from reality, or it could be right, by coincidence :-)

www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Lucas
Lucas
7275 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 5:49 AM in reply to hansaria

Hi Hansaria,

The cable cars are very safe. If a bad windstorm occurs they will close cable car until it is safe to resume operations - later that day or the next day perhaps. Depends on the storm. It doesn't happen very often.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 6:51 AM in reply to hansaria

>> as you stated there were disruption and operation suspended couple of times in last winter,so my visit to titlis/ragi/pillatus in the last week Nov only, so can you please say such suspension of service generally happened which month of the winter

The operation of the Jungfrau Railway was suspended for a short time on a couple of occasions in January, but last winter was an unusually severe one. The times I encountered cableways closed due to weather conditions were in October, December and January, but you could get high winds at any time of the year.

>> Further, i talked with all three mountain companies through mail, and all confirmed me that their mountain are still very safe in winter and sometimes windy and stormy rainy conditions may face but other day may also sunny warm days...

Yes, safety in Switzerland is first class - there is no need to be concerned on that account. You can indeed get beautiful calm sunny days in the middle of winter, even on top of the Jungfraujoch. It won't be warm though.

>> Further, as your own experiences, if cable car in the midst of the journey and disruption comes through storm and high wind, how much safe remain these journeys specifically in the last week of Nov.

They monitor weather conditions very carefully, and will usually stop operating cable cars before the weather conditions deteriorate. Although you couldn't rule it out completely, it is extremely unlikely you would get stranded mid-journey due to weather conditions.

The thing you need to consider more than anything else really is whether the top of the mountain is in the clouds, because if it is, you won't see anything.

Before buying a ticket and going up to the top, it's a good idea to check the webcams for visibility:

www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/

www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Webcams

www.titlis.ch/en/live/ weather

www.stanserhorn.ch/_we bcam/video/video.html?TB_iframe=true&height= 350&width=384

Make sure to have a backup plan in case the weather isn't suitable for a mountain-top visit.

One more thing I might mention if you are concerned about safety on cableways: gondolas will often stop mid-journey for a minute or so. This is normal, and nothing to be concerned about.

By the way, are you aware that the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus only runs until 18 November 2018, before closing for the winter? After that, you can still get up and back on the cableway from Kriens.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jun 26, 2018 - 7:16 AM by Removed user
hansaria
hansaria
38 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 7:16 AM in reply to Removed user

Thanks you Sir for prompt and valuable advice..........Yeah i am aware of stopping cogwheel train since 18th Nov.....and i think stenserhorn also will not be operating in last week of Nov....One more issue with regard to shoes, what me been advised that if no trailing is doing at Mountain, then still Nike sports shoes be very fine those winter season journey.......is it ok if we having wear Nike sports shoes for our mountain visit!Please suggest with your invaluable advice again..thanks and regards

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 7:23 AM in reply to hansaria

>> is it ok if we having wear Nike sports shoes for our mountain visit!

As long as they keep your feet warm and dry if you encounter wet weather, or want to walk through a bit of snow, they should be OK.

>> and i think stenserhorn also will not be operating in last week of Nov

Yes, the transport to the Stanserhorn only operates until 18 November 2018, before closing for the winter.

Alpenrose

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018