How close to Zurich train station should we stay?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 1:29:04 #817725

I am looking for a hotel in Zurich for 26 September and one in Basel for 1 October. We’ll be going to three other places by train during the week between. My husband and I will have Swiss pass but I’m not sure if it’s more important to have a hotel that’s convenient to the train station (will it be noisier etc) or one that is in a more quaint or otherwise interesting part of town (then just deal with buses etc to get to the train station.). Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    7 August 2018 at 7:24:45 #893553

If you’ve got luggage being closer to the station is always preferable.

In Zurich, there are several “suburban” stations that you could also choose from.

Not so sure about Basel; others can better assist than me.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 8:05:44 #893554

Hi Bambamrice,

I’ve had family visit in Zurich and stay at the Hotel Montana, they liked it, it was close to station but not noisy.

For other suggestions in Zurich look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zurich/hotels – it sounds like you won’t have much luggage with you on the day trips so being close may not be too important expect on moving in/out days?

If you are flying out of Basel you don’t need to stay there the night before unless it is an early flight 9or you just want to of course). Zurich to Basel airport (train and bus) is about 1.5 hours.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 11:34:02 #893555

Thanks so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 11:39:18 #893556

I’m sorry Lucas. I confused the issue a bit. We have one night in Zurich then on to zermatt for two nights then on to grindelwald for two nights THEN finally to Basel for one night. Total of 6 nights.

Maybe I should consider the day trips out of Zurich instead but my husband really wants to stay at Matterhorn area especially. What do you think?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 11:45:21 #893557

So yes we will have one regular size luggage each. We’re going on 7 day cruise to Amsterdam from Basel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 11:49:53 #893558

Oh I see. I thought all nights were in Zurich except that last one in Basel, I miss-read!

No I would agree to move around and not stay in Zurich the whole time – it isn’t a convenient location for many of the mountain attractions in Switzerland that most visitors want to see.

In fact, if you don’t have a late arrival in Zurich I’d be tempted to go straight to Zermatt from the airport – one less hotel change.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 12:21:51 #893559

Thanks again Lucas. I’ve considered that but I think after overnight flight from US it would be too hard on my traveling companions. The problem is I want to see too much in too little time. I haven’t even gotten to Switzerland and I already know I have to go back and revisit!

We’ll likely choose a Zurich hotel convenient to the train station so it will be easier the next day. I’ll look at the Montana and the link you provided.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 August 2018 at 13:00:41 #893560

Hi Bambamrice,

Yes, you will have to come back! I did for the past 21 years and I’m still not done, so be prepared 🙂

If you prefer a hotel near the airport for your first night, then check this: http://www.myswissalps.com/zu richairporthotels. Or check http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/hotels (the page that Lucas mentioned), and pick a hotel close to the main train station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 14:03:20 #893561

Thank you Arno. Travel is fabulous! An entire world to see in only one lifetime.

• The thread ‘How close to Zurich train station should we stay?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.