Swiss Travel Pass or the Jungfrau Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2019 at 1:09:28 #824244

Hello,

My wife and I are flying into Zurich and then were planning to take the train to Grindelwald where we will stay for 4 days before returning to Zurich for a few days. While in Grindelwald it probably makes sense for us to get the Jungfrau Pass for regional trains, cog railways, etc. We had originally planned to get the Swiss Travel Pass (4-day unlimited) but it looks like that is only of use for the trip to / from Zurich if we need the Jungfrau Pass anyways. At a price of around 600CHF for the 2 of us for a Swiss Travel Pass, why wouldn’t we just buy a round trip ticket Zurich–> Interlaken and then travel on the Jungfrau Pass from there?

Furthermore, wouldn’t it just be cheaper overall to get a rental car for around 200-225 CHF for 6 days? I’m struggling to see how the train system works out to be lower cost (even considering fuel)? I realize there are some places you simply can’t drive once we reach Jungfrau region (I’ve been before). But am I missing something? I had initially assumed it would be lower cost (and much more enjoyable) to take the train everywhere.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 October 2019 at 9:29:43 #923873

Hi Panschel,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps!

If your plan is specifically to explore the Jungfrau region, then getting the Jungfrau Travel Pass is definitely a good option. For your transfers from Zurich and back, you may consider the point-to-point tickets or Saver Day Pass.

You did not mention when you will be traveling to Switzerland. Just to let you know, the Jungfrau Travel Pass is only available in the summer (in 2019: April 13 to October 27). In winter, the option is to get the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging Pass. Details of each pass are presented in the links:

Travelling by train is certainly not for everyone. Some travellers prefer to drive for different reasons, sometimes it’s more practical, some find it more affordable. In fact, this question gets asked a lot that we have a page specifically addressing the pros and cons of driving vs train 🙂

Other helpful links to help in your travel planning:

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2019 at 23:31:31 #923874

Thanks Anna – this is VERY helpful and seems to confirm my findings. Our trip is next week so we will make it just before the Oct 27 deadline. I had seen the Car vs. Train page and it was very helpful.

Thank you.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or the Jungfrau Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.