Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 June 2021 at 9:30:11 #932927

Hi all! The Swiss government will decide about allowing vaccinated travelers from non-EU/non-Schengen countries in June – this month. They’ll probably act similar to EU countries, who have already decided on this approach.

This article sheds some light on the current government strategy and explains how the official Swiss tourism organization is pleading for quick and clear decisions: http://www.watson.ch/schweiz/eu/274897974-us-touristen-bleiben-ausgesperrt-geraet-schweiz-ins-hintertreffen. It’s available in German or French, so some translation may be required. I hope it’s still interesting for all of you who are wondering when they’re welcome.

Marvelett54
    Participant
    12 posts
    6 June 2021 at 10:22:39 #932928

Thank you for this only thing is it’s not in English but I’ll try and see if I can translate it , I’m really hoping I can get to come but I’m from UK and if Switzerland and Germany are not taken off our amber list I’ll still not be able to come and visit this year , I’ll have to wait another year 😳,I’m hoping not ☺️

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 June 2021 at 13:04:52 #932929

Hi Marvelett54,

If you’re browsing with Google Chrome you can right click anywhere in the article and select “Translate to …” (the dots are your language). Otherwise, go to translate.google.com to translate sections at the time.

Marvelett54
    Participant
    12 posts
    6 June 2021 at 13:34:35 #932930

thank you ive done that still no mention off UK thought ,think this is going to be a tough one !

Anna
    6274 posts
    7 June 2021 at 13:19:49 #932931

Hi Marvelett54,

As of now, the UK is still on the high-risk list. But the list is updated every two weeks so things may change then.

The next round of re-opening is expected to be announced before the summer break, possibly before 30 June. So please follow this thread and we will keep you updated with the latest information.

Regards,

Anna

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    7 June 2021 at 14:57:36 #932932

Today’s update – > http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/switzerland-to-start-implementing-eu-covid-19-passport-system-on-june-7/

Under the Federal Office of Information Technology, Systems and Telecommunication (FOITT) solution, Switzerland has announced the implementation of the COVID-19 certificate system, which will be effective immediately and running until the end of June 2021.

During the pilot phase, which is set to start on June 7, Swiss cantons will be issued gradually with the first digital certificates, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

Obviously this does not (yet) affect anyone outside of Switzerland but it’s another step forward hopefully!

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2021 at 15:21:32 #932933

Thank you for that update Luvmystang! It’s indeed a step forward. I’m not sure if this certificate will ever be issued to non-EU citizens. But entry restrictions for vaccinated non-EU citizens are already being lifted by several EU countries and Switzerland too, so that’s another step.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    7 June 2021 at 15:23:57 #932934

Yes, thank you. This is such good news. I still have an issue – my vaccination will have been completed in over 6 months – but it tells me I have to see what I can do about getting a booster in the next 6 weeks. Or, hopefully, Switzerland will drop the “6 month” requirement.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2021 at 15:24:18 #932935

Hi everyone,

Travel restrictions to Switzerland for US citizens have party been lifted: direct flights are not allowed yet but entry by land via France or Italy is allowed for vaccinated travelers. Please find more details and the attached country list in my first post: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

I’m sure more restrictions will be lifted, but this is it for now.

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    7 June 2021 at 15:28:33 #932936

Thanks Arno,

So if my flight from US lands in France first (or Italy) and the connecting flight is to Zurich from there, that is now allowed? Or only if I land in those countries and travel by train to Switzerland?

Thank you!!!

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    7 June 2021 at 16:50:21 #932937

so…being the typical dense traveler…your post indicated direct flights…

Flying from the US to Amsterdam and then on to Zurich. That would be a connecting flight I looked into the transiting through Amsterdam and there didn’t seem to be and issue….I tried to look the list one items.

Thank you again for your patience….

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    7 June 2021 at 17:07:03 #932938

I think I found the answer to your question (as I had the same question)…

Per SEM – > If you fly via one or more transit airports – without leaving the international transit area – you enter Switzerland from the country in which the aircraft originally took off, not the transit countries.

This means that if you begin your journey in a high-risk country and travel in transit via an airport in a non-high-risk country, you are travelling from a high-risk country.

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    LTommy
    Participant
    18 posts
    7 June 2021 at 18:34:23 #932940

Hi Arno, thank you for your update. I have a few questions that will help me to clarify, if you don’t mind. I’ve been researching to do a trip to just Italy, or scrap this Euro trip altogether, which we would prefer not to do.

1) US can travel to Switzerland as long as they do not come in on a direct flight? Currently, our July 2021 flights have a short stop in London (which is also not the best location). Should I try to switch our tickets to another destination, and then train to Geneva?

2) My family will be completely vaccinated by next week (my youngest are getting their 2nd shots), however, we will only be vaccinated since beginning March. Does that cause a problem?

We will have cards and happy to sign up to any app that makes sense. We are flying United which also wants us to scan our passports – a Covid related issue. Does this help, in your opinion?

Thanks.

Anna
    6274 posts
    7 June 2021 at 18:36:34 #932941

Thanks for the link luvmystang

Anna
    6274 posts
    7 June 2021 at 18:45:52 #932942

Hi LTommy,

Here is quote from the SEM website, just to make it clear.

A third country citizen may not enter Switzerland from a high-risk country, even if they travel in transit through a country that is not on the high-risk list.

We hope some of the travel restrictions will be lifted soon, hopefully in the next round of reopening.

Regards,

Anna

LTommy
    Participant
    18 posts
    7 June 2021 at 19:07:23 #932943

Hi Anna,

So with “some” restrictions lifted for the US (as I believe someone stated), does Switzerland still believe the US to be high-risk? I’m trying to follow it all but, candidly, getting so wrapped up to finalize our trip in one month that it’s a bit confusing..

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    7 June 2021 at 19:18:30 #932944

not sure I want to get into this discussion..however, if our flight from the us lands in Amsterdam…we will go through customs passport control and then take a domestic flight to Zurich…..all speculation on my part….

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2021 at 5:42:04 #932945

Hi everyone,

The current restrictions for the US are quite peculiar: it’s a mix of Schengen regulations, surrounding countries easing restrictions for vaccinated travelers, while the US is still on Switzerland’s high risk list. Please be sure to download the attachment in the very first post of this thread. There you can read the explanation by Switzerland Tourism. For the US, they currently say that travelers can enter “by land”. So you could land in Paris or Milan, for example. Then take a train to Switzerland, which is better than flying anyway for that short distance: http://www.myswissalps.com/travel/toswitzerland/train/tickets.

I’d expect the rules for vaccinated travelers to become less strict around July 1, when the EU COVID-19 certificate becomes effective. Switzerland is not an EU member but does join this initiative. Again: no guarantees, this is speculation.

Best wishes for everyone!

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    8 June 2021 at 13:55:21 #932946

Once in Switzerland, do Americans need to quarantine if originating country was USA? What about dual citizen Swiss-Americans; do they need to quarantine?

Thank you.

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.