Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    6 July 2021 at 16:33:32 #933027

I’m trying to upload our CDC vaccine cards to the Swiss Covid certificate app however it is not accepting the format even though it’s a pdf. Do we need the Swiss Covid certificate/url when traveling around Switzerland?

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    6 July 2021 at 16:36:13 #933028

I wonder the same. But weighing having to pay the Swiss test prices if it IS still required then (I also return mid Aug) vs. the Binax (potentially unnecessary) cost, I chose to bite the proverbial Binax bullet.

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    6 July 2021 at 16:51:02 #933029

I flew to Switzerland from US last Friday. Before leaving I went on the FOPH site and filled out the online contact tracing form for arrival by plane and printed out a copy of the QR code they emailed me. We flew Delta. At the airport they asked for passport, vaccine card or negative test, etc and then they wanted to see the QR Code from FOPH which I was not expecting. We flew into Amsterdam and did passport check there but did not have to show either that QR code or our vaccine card. From there we flew to Zurich where we had absolutely no checks, not even passport, I guess because we came from an EU destination. So all in all the process was much easier than I had anticipated.

luvmystang
    Participant
    104 posts
    6 July 2021 at 16:52:57 #933030

I’ll be doing my Ellume test Sunday morning. Fingers crossed!

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    6 July 2021 at 16:55:12 #933031

Good to know. Thanks.

I don’t leave until the 8th of August, so I’m hoping things will change. But right now you can’t even transit through Heathrow (where I’m connecting) without having a test within the last 72 hours. So, unless the UK changes things on their 19th of July update, I’ll have to be tested before leaving home as well as before returning.

Anna
    6274 posts
    6 July 2021 at 17:11:44 #933032

Hi Xpresso,

The COVID certificate is mainly use for international travel but some local establishments might ask to see it to avoid being responsible for spreading the virus. I think it’s fine to show the PDF copy as well as the electronic format.

Regards,

Anna

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    6 July 2021 at 17:15:05 #933033

Will the physical COVID vaccination card work as well?

Anna
    6274 posts
    6 July 2021 at 17:25:06 #933034

Hi SteelyD,

Yes, a COVID vaccination card that proves you have been vaccinated in the last 12 months with any of the approved vaccine would suffice.

Just to add a little. As mentioned by Luvmystang, before entering Switzerland, you are required to fill out an entry form online. You can find it here. Once you’ve filled out the form you’ll be emailed a QR code as confirmation. Have this code ready for inspection when you enter Switzerland. If you are controlled you can show the QR code on your smartphone or produce a printed confirmation. According to the website, filling out the form is obligatory and liable to a fine of if you fail to show it upon request.

Regards,

Anna

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    6 July 2021 at 18:02:26 #933035

Thanks Anna.

We have the CDC vaccine cards from the US and while we will primarily be in Switzerland for the three weeks, we will be going to Stresa, Italy (a day trip from Brig), Yvoire, France (a day trip from Nyon) and Konstanz, Germany for 2 nights. Will we be permitted to go to these three towns/cities with just our CDC vaccine card and not the Swiss vaccine certificate? Should I make Konstanz a day trip instead of spending 2 nights?

Thank you as always for your knowledge!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2021 at 7:11:19 #933036

Hi Xpresso,

I would say that other counties accept your CDC Covid certificate as well but just to make sure I recommend having a look at those countries regulations. At the moment you can enter from Switzerland to Germany, Italy and as well to France but every country has different regulations.

Italy: http://www.salute.gov.it/travellers
    France: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/
    Germany: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus

Ildiko

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    7 July 2021 at 14:18:00 #933037

Thank you for the links. Thus far I have not been able to find in writing that the US CDC vaccine card would be accepted for day trips to Italy, France, or Germany and the Covid-19 Green certificate application doesn’t seem to be compatible with our US CDC card. So maybe I will need to just stay in Switzerland this entire trip (which is really fine, no complaints here).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2021 at 15:59:15 #933038

Hi Xpresso,

I’ve found so far this non- official link: http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/all-details-on-eu-covid-19-passport-revealed-heres-what-you-need-to-know/ – saying that citizens of the United Nations will be able to apply for the EU Digital Covid Certificate.

This might be a help for you, right?

Ildiko

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    7 July 2021 at 20:08:52 #933039

Thank you for the article. This statement that includes the word “intends” makes me think that there is not yet a system in place for those holding the CDC vaccine card to leave the Swiss borders, and that travelers will be checked at the border, so we will stay within Switzerland. It sounds like it’s still a work in progress.

“As the Member States reopen the borders for travel from non-EU countries for non-essential purposes, they also intend to issue EU COVID travel certificates to travellers from third countries intending to enter their territory.

The Commission also intends to accept certificates issued in third countries, which are issued under the same conditions as the ones by the EU.” and “Travellers are able to show them [EU vaccine passport] to the border guards, either in paper format or in their smartphones or tablets, up to their choice.”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2021 at 12:00:59 #933040

Hi Xpresso,

right. We haven’t found any official page declaring that non-EU residents can apply for the EU Covid Certificate.

If there will be a change Arno will update the first post in this thread as soon as possible. Please come back regularly and have a look at that post.

Thank you,

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    8 July 2021 at 16:35:29 #933041

Sounds good, thank you!

Going back to the discussion many of us were having about purchasing a home Covid kit ahead of time versus paying more for a test in Switzerland, I called my health insurance company (Kaiser Permanente) today and they informed me that they don’t reimburse for the home kit (that’s $300 for my family) but they will reimburse me for getting the test done in Switzerland. I just submit a reimbursement form along with a receipt. Just thought others might want to consider their options depending on who their health insurance provider is…

Janice3401
    Participant
    29 posts
    8 July 2021 at 17:06:09 #933042

Greetings–

I am departing the U.S. on a non-stop flight to Zurich on July 15 on United Airlines. According to written guidance linked to my electronic ticket, United says that if you are fully vaccinated you do not need to fill out the FOPH form (the link you provided is the same one United provides ). I probably will fill it out even though I am fully vaccinated but there still seems to be a lack of information coordination between Swiss authorities and U.S. carriers.

Also, a big thank you for all the wonderful information MySwissAlps provides!

Janice

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    8 July 2021 at 17:52:17 #933043

I just found this on the Swiss FOPH Site:

EU certificate

A digital COVID certificate (the EU Digital COVID Certificate) is also being introduced by the EU and other EFTA states. The COVID certificate in Switzerland will be interoperable with the EU’s as soon as the Swiss certificate is formally recognised by the EU. The EU Digital COVID Certificate is designed to facilitate safe travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is to be in widespread use from 1 July 2021.

The EU acceptance of Swiss Certificate would make things so much easier for those of us that are adding other EU countries to our Swiss itineraries, such as Germany & Austria. Otherwise I assume we would have to apply for both separately??

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 July 2021 at 6:35:33 #933044

Hi all!

As far as we know, it’s not confirmed that non-Swiss/non EU-residents can apply for the Swiss or the EU COVID-certificate. This might change in the near future and if so, we’ll of course add this information to our 1st post in this thread. For the time being, US citizens and many other ‘third-country’ citizens can travel to Switzerland and the EU with a wide variety of documents containing proof of vaccination, a negative test or being cured from COVID. So not being able to use the Swiss or EU certificate (yet) doesn’t result in any restrictions: it’s just a matter of showing your own native documents.

And yes, Mwrights1984: as of today, the Switzerland and the EU will officially recognize each other’s COVID-certificates, so that’s easier for European travelers to start off with!

Annika
    7104 posts
    9 July 2021 at 6:37:24 #933045

And thank you all, for sharing your news updates and your tips about tests and airline information. It’s great to see you’re all helping out each other in these still somewhat confusing traveling times!

Memok
    Participant
    16 posts
    11 July 2021 at 10:13:34 #933046

Hello

Is there news regarding traveling from france to Switzerland by train ? Any confirm ?

I want to come to france with chingen Visa then from paris i will travel by train to Switzerland

Do i need any PCR test from france to cross Switzerland by train ?

I already have 1st dose vaccine certificate from my country(outside EU countries) and i already infected by COVID-19 before 3weeks

Plz help me as this trip will costs me alot

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.