Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    23 July 2021 at 8:32:47 #933087

Look at that alpen glow in the last photo!! These are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, and for attaching the form. So glad you had a lovely trip. And you return in September!! 🙂

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    23 July 2021 at 10:18:38 #933088

Update on going to a French regional town: We went across Lac Leman to Yvoire yesterday and nobody checked for vaccination documents so we got there and back just fine. We had asked in advanced if our US CDC card would be acceptable and they said it was fine as serving proof of vaccination but again nobody asked for it on the boat or off.

V_stringfell
    Participant
    1 post
    23 July 2021 at 12:28:40 #933089

When traveling to Switzerland from USA , is PCR test required prior to departure?

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 July 2021 at 17:43:09 #933090

Hi Vstringfell,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you are fully vaccinated, a negative PCR test is not required. You can find all the information you need regarding entry requirements in the first post of this thread.

Let us know if you need further information.

Regards,

Anna

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    23 July 2021 at 17:46:19 #933091

If you’re not flying directly to Switzerland, you might also want to check out the requirements in connecting airports. When my flight was scheduled to pass through Heathrow airport, there was a need for a test. Now that it’s been changed to pass through Madrid, the test isn’t necessary.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    28 July 2021 at 18:47:17 #933092

We fly in September to Zurich from Chicago. Do we need a test/ We have our vaccine cards? Will we be able to visit France and go into restaurants with just our vaccine cards? Doyou think that Switzerland will make it harder to visit in September because of the DElta Variant?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2021 at 19:15:47 #933093

Hi Rgoppelt,

I am very sorry but I think there will be nobody who could answer you these questions for sure. Things are changing very (too) fast and September is still quite far away.

Please, keep an eye on the first post in this thread, we update it regularly. This might be useful too: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus

I hope you’ll be able to travel as you wish in September.

Take care,

Ildiko

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    29 July 2021 at 5:47:52 #933094

Does anyone know if the rapid antigen test is acceptable for return to the United States from Geneva? It’s cheap and fast and offered right there at Geneva airport, but I want to be sure I can get the rapid test before I reserve. The Geneva airport has the following options:

What kind of test you want to take ?

Nasopharyngeal PCR test

Rapid Antigen test

Saliva PCR test

United’s automated system says:

If you’re traveling to the U.S., your COVID-19 test must be conducted by a medical facility or laboratory as a viral test (NAAT or antigen) no more than three calendar days before departure.

Thoughts?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2021 at 14:20:43 #933095

Hi Xpresso,
    from these, that you wrote down, my understanding is that Rapid Antigen test is enough, but I think it would be better if you ask your local authorities, to make sure and avoid negative surprises.
    Ildiko

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    29 July 2021 at 15:13:28 #933096

Xpresso, I found this information on the CDC website:

“What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?

Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.”

I hope that helps!

SwissMiss

PS: edited to add the link to the CDC page: http://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    29 July 2021 at 19:08:20 #933097

Ok thanks! I think this means rapid antigen test is okay, and the United rep I texted with said it is too so hopefully it will work out when we go back mid August and get the rapid antigen at the airport.

SwissMiss72
    Participant
    22 posts
    29 July 2021 at 19:53:20 #933098

Let us know how it goes, we fly back August 20th 😉

Heart_Voyage
    Participant
    99 posts
    1 August 2021 at 12:20:12 #933099

Hello,

Is there Covid test centers at major train station? We are flying from Zurich back to US at 7:00 am on Monday. I am concerned is hard to find Covid test center on Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you.

Thy

Annika
    7121 posts
    1 August 2021 at 12:51:10 #933100

Hi Thy,

It won’t be a problem to find test centers. You’ll find a link to locations and opening hours under “Important notes” at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland and also under “Where to get a COVID test in Switzerland?” at http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus/planning. As you’ll see, there’s a test center right at the airport, open daily from 04.00 to 20.00.

navis
    Participant
    6 posts
    1 August 2021 at 23:00:40 #933101

Hello, any insight into whether Switzerland will require a “green pass”, similar to France and Italy, to access public spaces such as buses, trains, grocery stores? I’d like to book a mountain walking trip for early September, but don’t want to if there will be such a pass. Complicated for an American. Thank you

Xpresso
    Participant
    93 posts
    2 August 2021 at 4:35:54 #933102

I’m in Switzerland now and nobody has asked for the green pass or CDC vaccination pass yet. Not sure what the future holds but as of now there’s no mention of it.

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 August 2021 at 9:50:11 #933103

Hi navis,

I think the ‘green pass’ is required at the borders and particularly if you’re flying in to Switzerland from another country or region. Once you are in Switzerland, you don’t need to show it to use the public transport or go to the shops. Some leisure or entertainment outlets such as clubs and bars may ask for it. However wearing masks in public transport and places where social distancing is not possible is still highly recommended.

For tips on planning your trips: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus

Regards,

Anna

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    2 August 2021 at 12:50:12 #933104

I happened to be looking at a train schedule (Bahn.com) and noted that some listings say they require a “FFP2 masks”. This is the first I’ve seen that. In your experience, are specific types of masks required on public transportation? If so, I need to order today.

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 August 2021 at 16:30:21 #933105

Hi Tourgypsy,

I’ve used reusable textile masks while travelling on the train and so far it has not been an issue. But some places such as hospitals or pharmacies are strict with the type of masks you use and will ask you to switch to the hygiene or surgical masks at the entrance.

For practical reasons I think it’s good to bring a few spares of these hygiene/surgical masks with you on your trip. You can also conveniently get them from the shops here.

Regards,

Anna

navis
    Participant
    6 posts
    2 August 2021 at 16:34:18 #933106

Thank you

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.