Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    29 August 2021 at 7:30:55 #933167

Hi all!

We haven’t heard any news about Switzerland re-imposing travel bans for US citizens. Switzerland often follows EU regulations, but not always. And even if the US would be put back on the ‘high country list’ as specified in the 1st post of this thread, this doesn’t have to mean that tourist entry isn’t possible. At the moment travelers from non-high risk countries can enter if they are vaccinated, cured or have a negative test. Travelers from high-risk countries can only enter if they’re fully vaccinated. Assuming this policy won’t change, vaccinated US travelers could still enter if Switzerland would follow new EU restrictions.

I can’t guarantee anything, but I don’t think there’s need for concern for vaccinated travelers from the US. If we have confirmation about any changes, we’ll update the 1st post of this thread. The country list compiled by Switzerland Tourism, that’s attached to that first post, will be updated in case of relevant developments as well.

Once more I want to express my thanks to all of you that are so helpful in this thread. It’s great that you’re sharing tips about test kits, regulations for return journeys and news sources. Keep up the good work and keep planning! Together we’ll figure out how to still enjoy Switzerland’s beauty :-).

MegandChris
    Participant
    6 posts
    29 August 2021 at 12:22:06 #933168

Hi Terry,

I first saw it here:

Schengen News – All the latest breaking news on Schengen (schengenvisainfo.com)

And then after searching saw it on Forbes.com

Meg

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    29 August 2021 at 14:45:52 #933169

Thank you Meg and Annika,

We are running out of time to regroup if we can’t get into Switzerland in a few days (we fly there on Wednesday, arrive on Thursday). As I said, we are fully vaccinated. If we have to take a test to get in, that’s reasonable. If we have to do a 10 day quarantine, then there is no point in going. We don’t want to find that out mid-air. (This is our third attempt at a honeymoon in the last 15 months and planned this trip when we heard this spring that the EU would open for vaccinated US citizens).

Any guidance we can get will be helpful as things unfold. We are so glad this forum exists.

Terry

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    29 August 2021 at 15:36:47 #933170

I am traveling into the Netherlands from the US and into Switzerland by boat. What is the entry form I fill out before we get to Switzerland and the QT code that will be sent to me for the locator? I’ve lost track of this in all of the requirements.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 August 2021 at 16:02:11 #933171

Hi Terry,

I think it’s very unlikely that vaccinated travelers would have to quarantine. We’ll post any updates here of course.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 August 2021 at 16:04:59 #933172

Hi Joejax,

No entry form is needed to enter Switzerland by boat, but you do need your proof of vaccination or negative test and of course your passport. Please double check the info and links in the first post here http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland, that’s where we post updates. Also ask your cruise company as they will know for sure.

Steve_83429
    Participant
    4 posts
    30 August 2021 at 14:34:54 #933173

A little help, I saw that this topic has been briefly mentioned (and may have been fully addressed in the extensive post of which I have not read-sorry).

I am vaccinated and have paper documents. I have have filled out the info on the Swiss health department and I was sent a qr code. I inputted info about my flights, etc but it I could not add online or through the app my covid vaccination.

So I have my covid vaccination paper records and a qr code that was emailed to me (that does not contain any vaccination info). Is this all I need? We sent an email to various departments but their responses were focused on people that had the testing done in Switzerland.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    30 August 2021 at 18:13:28 #933174

That’s all you need. Or at least it’s all I needed when I arrived in Switzerland about two weeks ago. Things could change, so keep watching this site for updates. But for now, you’re good to go.

Anna
    6274 posts
    30 August 2021 at 18:18:49 #933175

Hi Jim,

No worries. The QR code is a confirmation that you have filled out the entry form. Have this code ready for inspection when you enter Switzerland. When asked, you can show the QR code on your smartphone or produce a printed confirmation along with your proof of vaccination (CDC card or equivalent).

As per Tourgypsy’s advise, these regulations could change so please keep an eye on the first post of this thread for new updates.

Regards,

Anna

Yeldus
    Participant
    28 posts
    30 August 2021 at 18:30:36 #933176

Hello Jim,

For couple of weeks I have been reading posts by kind and patient SwissAlps administrators and members of this community. I also checked all the links posted by them. I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer/Biontech and I am going to Geneva on September 7th from USA. The 2 Covid related documents I wiil carry are:

1. The PAPER ORIGINAL of my vaccination cert with my name, birth date, dates of vaccination and the name of the vaccine

2. QR code (pdf format)sent to me by Swiss Health Department when I filled out their form.

I am also certain that I will not need any Covid test for entry because I am vaccinated.

My flight is to Geneva with Lufthansa. I filled out a form and uploaded the 2 documents listed above as .pdf files.

I would suggest to check with your airlines and see what you need to board the plane. If you are leaving from USA, the airline is ultimately responsible to ensure that you have all the documents necessary to enter Switzerland.

Have a wonderful trip!

Yelda

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 August 2021 at 18:44:28 #933177

Hello everyone,

The European Union issued new recommendations regarding travel restrictions. You’ll find our update under “Update 30 August 2021” in the first post in this thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

As of now, nothing has changed yet, because EU member states and Switzerland will make their own decisions based on the recommendation.

We’ll keep you posted as always.

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    31 August 2021 at 2:01:40 #933178

We just saw that the CDC moved Switzerland into the highest risk category for travel. We fly to Switzerland on Wednesday, which give us less than 24 hours to decide if we want to cancel our flights and our accommodations (we are fully vaccinated). Does anyone have thoughts/advice about how risky it is for us to travel from the U.S., through Switzerland right now? (We will be staying in Zurich near the airport the first and last nights, then in Grindelwald and outside Montreux the rest of the time, traveling by train. We planned to be outside hiking and now it looks like rain is in the forecast most of the time. We don’t want to do inside activities because of covid.) We’ve been asking questions on this forum for several weeks now and everyone has been so helpful.

Terry

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    31 August 2021 at 2:39:17 #933179

Hi Terry

I would think your risk in Switzerland would be similar to the risk in the US, assuming the Delta variant is the most common strain in Switzerland as it is the US now. Which is to say a very low risk for vaccinated people in outdoor activities like hiking.

The real risk will be in inclosed spaces for 15 minutes or longer with proximity to anyone unvaccinated, unmasked, or with COVID who is shedding virus. The more people and the closer the proximity the more risk. Even with precautions, airports, airplanes, public transport, restaurants and hotels could be a problem. There are definitely reports of fully vaccinated people getting quite sick from the delta variant, especially in Israel which has a 60-70% vaccination rate. Most of the people in the hospital in the US (90%)are unvaccinated.

I guess it boils down to the risk you are comfortable with that you could become sick in Switzerland and need health care outside the US or have trouble returning to the US with a positive COVID test. The incubation period is typically 2-5 days I believe. I don’t think anyone can tell you the exact risk as there is no clear cut consensus.

Mark

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    31 August 2021 at 2:47:44 #933180

Thank you Mark. Wish we had another week to decide (or we traveled there a month ago). We are leaning towards coming. Weighing risk of illness despite the vaccine and the toll of heartbreak (which isn’t so great for the immune system!).

Terry

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    31 August 2021 at 7:03:57 #933181

I’ve been in Switzerland for the last 3 weeks. I can tell you that I’m impressed by the compliance with Swiss regulations of masking indoors, etc. I found it much more reassuring than being in my home town in the US the few weeks before I left. I would recommend you purchase N95 masks if you have any concern. They are recommended for public transportation, but any mask seems to be accepted just fine. I have two more weeks left and can tell you I’m more concerned about returning home than my time spent here.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2021 at 10:53:43 #933182

It does not look like anything will change for vaccinated travelers. Non-vaccinated travelers from Israel and the USA can no longer enter Switzerland as of mid September. Please see the first post for updates.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    31 August 2021 at 12:10:25 #933183

I think tourgypsy’s suggestion of a N95 mask is a good one. Regular masks are primarily for the protection of others. They give only limited protection to the wearer. A tight fitting N95 will give significant protection to the wearer. Also the more widespread compliance in Switzerland is a comforting fact.

Mark

Billandsuz1
    Participant
    22 posts
    31 August 2021 at 13:30:40 #933184

All – it is the morning of August 31st. The CDC has Switzerland on the list of countries at level 4; travel advisory unless you’re vaccinated. We are vaccinated…. Any educated guesses about how Switzerland will react in terms of closing their own borders?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2021 at 13:40:24 #933185

Then stay there. Most Americans agree that masks are useless and politically motivated. However many arguments you have for masking, there are just as many against.

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    31 August 2021 at 13:45:18 #933186

Thank you everyone. We figured compliance is better there in Switzerland. We are coming unless they turn us away!! We are vaccinated and that appears to be the golden ticket.

Terry

Viewing 20 posts - 501 through 520 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.