Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    9 September 2021 at 13:49:36 #933227

Thank you so much for the extra link. The reason why I didn’t see this is because I was using my iPad and when I opened the page, I only could access the center of the web page and I did not have access at all to the list on the left! Isn’t that strange? I’m sorry I must have sounded so stupid! I opened the links on my computer and now I see the whole page and where it says “application for persons vaccinated or recovered while abroad”. So my advice for others looking for this – use a computer!

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 September 2021 at 14:30:51 #933228

Hi traveler in Wengen, my favorite place in the world. I called my Hotel Alpenrose and they said you could easily get your covid test in Wengen. Is that what you are doing? Tell me if there was any problem gettign the covid or antigen test for returning to the states in Wengen. Also is there snow on the Mannlichen cable car hiking trail that goes from the top of the cable car to Kleine Scheidegg. My wife wants to pretend it is still summer but I worry about snow on the trial. Looking forward to our trip on the 14. So far everything is a go.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    9 September 2021 at 14:33:01 #933229

Hi. I’m not a Wengen person – I’m a Mürren person. But I did that hike earlier in the week and there’s no snow. Have fun.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 September 2021 at 14:41:13 #933230

Yes, you can get rapid antigen and PCR tests at the medical center in Wengen. Currently I think they are offering tests between 3 pm and 5:30 pm but that might change. They are very busy so you would need to book an appointment, they suggest 3 or so days in advance of when you want the tests. Their number is +41 33 856 28 2. Or just pop over. Follow the signs in the middle of Wengen village for “Artz”. They are open from 8:00 am to 12:00 then 2:00 to 6:00pm or so. They all speak excellent English. For some reason I can’t find their website right now but I’m sure the good people at Alpenrose can help you. BTW, we are right next door, at holiday apartment Alpina. Small world!

No snow here yet. We were on that trail yesterday and it was 19C, light cool breeze, bright and sunny. Our experience has been that even if an early snow comes in during September it’s usually just a light dusting and melts off the next day. But one never knows about weather — and not much else these days!

Clewis104
    Participant
    5 posts
    9 September 2021 at 14:45:16 #933231

We are traveling to Zurich later this month. I used the Covid Certificate link to get to the Zurich canton website but I can’t find a way to change this page to English or find the certificate application on this page. Does anyone know how I can access this page for Zurich?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    9 September 2021 at 15:06:49 #933232

@rgoppelt, I found the link for the medical practice in Wengen with additional information about COVID tests.

xundheitszentrum.ch/standort/wengen/

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 September 2021 at 19:05:45 #933233

After much consternation and repeated attempts to understand the canton web sites. None of which really address the issue of how non-residents are to obtain a Covid certificate for the Swiss App. Since we depart the 13th for Switzerland, I contacted the hotel where we are staying for four nights in Brunnen. They said “If you have already been vaccinated 2x it counts as a certificate. You just need to take your vaccination card with you, the app works too”. We will test it out. Clearly ( I think ) the details will be worked our for visitors.

So:

Passports ready. Check

Global entry cards ready. Check

Covid cards ready ( laminated ). Check

Swiss entry form with QR code printed and ready. Check

Covid test kits recommended by airline bought. Check

Video monitoring scheduled. Check.

Wife packed ( three weeks ago ). Check

My packing…I will get to it in the next day or so.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 September 2021 at 21:25:21 #933234

Please read the previous posts. I go tthe Swiss Covid health passport by following the posts with the websites. You need to use the address of the HOtel where you are staying to get Swiss Health passport. I got mine in 24 hours. I suspect as long as you have your vaccine cards you should be good. Also you need to locate the Canon of your hotel. I was going to use the Zermatt one but that website did not translate well. Tne Bern Canon, Wengen, worked really good and could be translated with Google translate. The only glitch is they want you to check a box for Ger/ or Fr language, I just checked FR and it was fine. Enjoyu the trip despite all the hassle. Also check you airline website, United and Swiss which I am going on , one of them wants your documents uploaded 72 hours before your flight. Your passport and Swiss documents.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    9 September 2021 at 21:34:30 #933235

Thanks. I think it will all work out. I check my airline, Delta, almost daily

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2021 at 22:17:35 #933236

Hi Clewis104,

I had a look and I couldn’t either find that page in English, I am sorry. I guess it does not exist, although that is weird.

You can try it with Google Translator or maybe you should also try the website of canton Bern. That worked well for the others.

Ildiko

Clewis104
    Participant
    5 posts
    10 September 2021 at 1:12:43 #933237

Okay, thanks for trying!

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    10 September 2021 at 4:51:49 #933238

We are currently in wengen and just received an email from our next hotel in montreux stating we need a certificate.. although people here are thinking the vaccine card may be good enough… to be safe I was able to somehow get to the English version of certificate application for canton of Bern. Here is the link…http://www.gef.be.ch/gef/de/index/Corona/Corona/covid-zertifikat/application-for-persons-vaccinated-or-recovered-while-abroad.html

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    10 September 2021 at 4:54:56 #933239

I figured out on my iPhone how to find English version…. Use the link provided in very first post.. select canton, then click on the navigation banner with plus sign that appears at bottom of screen

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 September 2021 at 16:16:49 #933240

I tried the Bern site. We don’t have an address for in bern. Site says residents or temp residents. Not sure tourist fall into that category. The certificate thing looks to be a work in progress. Need to carry COVID card. Have a good day.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    10 September 2021 at 17:26:36 #933241

The Bern site works with using your hotel address. It does not work if you use your home addresss in the states.

Annika
    7115 posts
    10 September 2021 at 17:29:04 #933242

Hi all! The option for tourists to obtain a Swiss COVID-certificate was announced very recently, and right now it’s indeed work in progress. A well operating system should be available by late September. Until then, tourists can use a test done in Switzerland to get their certificate. It’s explained in the first post of this thread and we’ll add details once we know more.

Thanks to all of you for adding your useful links and translation tips!

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    11 September 2021 at 1:40:46 #933243

I admit to being a bit confused, so please bear with me. I am already in Switzerland and have been here almost 5 weeks. My next “public” encounter will be on 14 September for my trip via rail to Zurich airport – where I will take a test, stay overnight in a hotel, and then fly back to the USA.

To be safe, I just filled out the Bern certificate application. Will I need to fill out another one for whatever Canton Zurich is located in? Is there anything I’m missing?

Annika, you have all been such a big help in this confusing time. I sincerely thank you.

Judy

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    11 September 2021 at 4:52:50 #933244

Hello all,

We are currently in Switzerland (vaccinated couple from the US). We are the ones who nearly cancelled our trip starting on September 1st as things were changing rapidly, but we are here and the trip has been easy so far. We have not been asked for proof of vaccination this whole time (other than at the airport in Atlanta in order to board our flight to Amsterdam). We have been riding trains, many have been easy to keep our distance from other people, but we did encounter a train full of school kids yesterday. They were getting off the train as we were getting on (we decided to double mask for that leg of the train ride). The smaller gondolas near Grindelwald we took to go hiking were easy to deal with because we could get a gondola to ourselves. We have eaten outdoors when we’ve eaten out and have otherwise shopped for food at grocery stores and eaten at our airbnbs. We only went to one small museum in Gruyeres (at the chateau) which is partly outdoors and inside it was easy to keep our distance. There were a couple restaurants there with QR codes at the tables for contact tracing, but it didn’t seem mandatory.

Today we will get our antigen tests in Vevey because we fly home on September 13th. It sounds like we might need the Swiss certificate or an EU certificate just in case, but our flight is at 7:00am on the 13th, so perhaps the new policies will not quick be in place. If we any relevant experiences in the next couple of days with the new policies/restrictions, we will post them here.

Terry and David

navis
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 September 2021 at 5:32:48 #933245

I have been in Switzerland 4 weeks and return to US on Tuesday. Covid certificates, from what I’ve read, only pertain to public spaces such as gyms, clubs, restaurants, pools, etc. not shops, hotels or public transit. My hotel here in Grindelwald told me the only problem I could encounter was using breakfast room and that they’d provide room service for breakfast, if necessary. I have no intention of “showing my papers” anywhere, except to board plane for US.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    11 September 2021 at 6:32:47 #933246

Thank you all very much for the updates to the main page about COVID restrictions

We are fully vaccinated (Moderna) from US, have been in Switzerland 9 days with 8 more to go. I applied on line 48 hours ago for our Swiss Covid certificate using the links on this site. I have zero response other than the auto-response that appeared immediately upon submission saying they received the information, would investigate, and get back to me.

The following is not quite clear to me:

“From September 13, you’ll need a Swiss or EU COVID-certificate to enter public areas: foph-coronavirus.ch/certificate/how-do-i-get-a-covid-certificate-and-how-do-i-use-it/#contents1. From late September, travelers can obtain a Swiss COVID-certificate once in Switzerland, if they can prove they are vaccinated. Until then, a negative speed test performed within Switzerland is the way to get a Swiss COVID-certificate. The tests are free until September 30. Here’s a list of test locations by canton: http://www.stnet.ch/app/uploads/2021/09/Liste-der-kantonalen-Testorte.pdf.”

1.This seems to indicate that tourists can only get a certificate via the application process beginning the end of this month? But others that have posted on this thread have already received theirs?

2. What recourse, if any, do I have if I continue to get no response to my applications? Should I repeat the application process?

3. Receiving a certificate after being tested seems to be the suggested alternative if there is no response to certificate application. However, the certificates received via this method are only valid for 48 hours (rapid antigen)? I find it hard to believe that fully vaccinated tourists will be required to spend many hours every 48 hours traveling to/from testing locations and waiting for test results. What am I missing here?

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.