Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    11 September 2021 at 6:47:37 #933247

Terry, thanks for your message. If it doesn’t involve trains and hotels, I’m good. Relieves my mind. Thanks, again.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    11 September 2021 at 10:42:11 #933248

Checked my email this morning and found two COVID Certificates from Bern for my wife and I. Imported the QR codes into the application. Another hurdle solved. Thanks.

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    11 September 2021 at 12:31:31 #933249

I am sure I am just be nervous, but I need clear information regarding the new Federal rules going into effect on September 13th.

We are traveling to Lucerne October 14th. We are both fully vaccinated in the US with Pfizer.

Will we have to show our US covid certificates in restaurants, etc? Will they be accepted?

Will we be able to get the Swiss Covid app to accept our certificates?

I have looked at the Zurich canton website and apparently We cannot apply for a covid certificate because we are Americans.

I realize this is all new but would like any assistance you can give.

Mwrights1984
    Participant
    14 posts
    11 September 2021 at 14:45:10 #933250

Just curious Richard… we are in Wengen and submitted for Covid certificate Friday morning Swiss time…. How long did it take for them to send you the email because we have received nothing yet???

Billandsuz1
    Participant
    22 posts
    11 September 2021 at 14:45:29 #933251

JM5245, I am writing this from Lauterbrunnen. We just returned here from Mürren. We’ve been in Lucerne. No one had asked us for anything. Our entry into the country was very easy. People are not wearing masks outside. They ARE wearing masks indoors in museums, in stores, entering a restaurant. We, too, we’re nervous but so far it’s been lovely!

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    11 September 2021 at 14:50:55 #933252

I applied for the certificate Thursday morning and just got it today. So 48 hours. I upload the QR to the COVID certificate app so I am all set. Thanks to all for the help. Now if Mother Nature will just change. Thanks.

Anna
    6274 posts
    11 September 2021 at 14:54:12 #933253

Hi jm5245, Kim11,

As Annika mentioned, a Covid certificate will only be available to fully-vaccinated travellers from abroad in late September. But there’s no harm trying to apply for one if you really need it. Some fellow travellers have managed to get it done from the cantonal links provided in the first post of this thread. One great tip would be to use your hotel address instead of your home address in the application form.

In the meantime, I think it is acceptable to use your vaccination card in lieu of this. Your personal details on the vaccination card should correspond with those in your passport or on your ID card. This will ensure that you do not experience possible difficulties when your vaccination card is being checked against your identification document.

From Monday 13 September, the Covid certificate will be required to access indoor areas of restaurants and bars. But without it you can still access the outdoor areas such as restaurant terraces or decks. The following infographic may be useful.

Hope this helps.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    11 September 2021 at 14:57:10 #933254

I submitted an application yesterday and the day before. Just glad and somewhat surprised to find certificates this morning. We leave Monday

traveler42
    Participant
    6 posts
    11 September 2021 at 15:12:26 #933255

Has anyone used the video monitored version of the BinaxNOW self-test from eMed for a return flight to the US on Swiss? Any issues with the airline accepting the result? Did you need to print it out or was showing it on your phone acceptable?

Thanks for any info!

Anna
    6274 posts
    11 September 2021 at 15:52:04 #933256

Hi traveler42,

I think a fellow traveler Laurae did the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag At-Home Test Kit for her return trip to the US, without any problem. But she flew United. Not sure if this would be OK with Swiss Air. I think the best thing to do is to contact the airline for clarification.

Regards,

Anna

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    11 September 2021 at 17:19:32 #933257

I’m not sure if this will help anyone, but we got our rapid covid (antigen) tests today at the Medical Centre Du Gare at the Vevey train station today. We had an appointment set up a couple weeks ago, knowing we would need tests to fly back to the U.S.

They asked for confirmation of our home address and asked to see our passports. It was free. At the front desk, they had the QR codes for the Swiss Covid Certificate apps (available on Apple and for Android), but we had downloaded them from the U.S. before traveling to Switzerland two weeks ago. You can download them in advance, but won’t have information to input until your covid test is done. Once we were checked in at the medical center, they sent some type of registration number to our app. They asked us to fill out a form and include that number on the form. (That probably syncs our identity with our test results in the app, I’m guessing). We got our test and half an hour later we got our results (negative) and the QR code we’ll need to show at the airport appeared on our app. (follow the prompts on the app to get the QR code). Hopefully things will work as easily when we get to the airport.

I hope that helps!

Terry and David

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    11 September 2021 at 22:24:29 #933258

Got an email from hotel in Brunnen. After being told that a COVID vaccination card would be sufficient. They said we would need have a app/Cert to enter the hotel starting on Monday. The alternative testing was not available at the hotel. Looks as reported, things are tightening up. Glad we were able to get our certificates

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    12 September 2021 at 6:28:44 #933259

Our COVID certificates finally arrived! 52 (nervous) hours after registration. Today’s project is to get the COVID app downloaded (is there a preferred app? It looks like there are several. . .) and our QR codes uploaded to that.

Wengen tourist office staff confirmed to me yesterday that beginning Mon 13 Sept entry to indoor restaurants, bars, and some other venues (from this thread it appears some hotels will be on that list too) will indeed require the Covid certificate QR code; CDC vaccine cards will not suffice.

That said, it remains to be seen how stringently the regulation will be enforced in small villages. Since we arrived in Switzerland 4 Sept no one has asked us for any vaccination proof at all (we arrived via train). We are based in Wengen and traveling only around the Jungfrau region. I will report back in the days to come!

JM5245, I recommend you apply for your Swiss COVID certifcates using the links in the thread. Alternatively, since you are not traveling until October, you may choose to wait and see what the Federal Council announces on 17 Sept regarding entry and mobility requirements for those vaccinated abroad. They may have new approaches that are even easier. It has been announced that whatever they say on 17 Sept will become effective 20 September. So you still have time.

I want to extend special thanks to the moderator team for your hard work to uncover the important information we tourists in country (and those arriving soon) need to have a successful holiday. It is so much work and your patience is much appreciated. Even the agent we are leasing our apartment from (Interhome, the largest agent in the area) has absolutely no idea how to advise their clients on these issues. (Nor did the tourist office.) They were amazed when I had them print out our Swiss certificates yesterday and have asked me to forward all the good myswissalps info to them.

Finally, for those of you that are planning to get re-entry testing done at the Wengen medical center, one of the doctors there told me yesterday that they have become overwhelmed and are now only testing patients that are actively exhibiting Covid symptoms. Trips to Interlaken are in our futures! http://www.portmann.ch/covid-test-apotheke-portmann-interlaken. Or at the airport, for those waiting until last minute.

Caprichosa
    Participant
    3 posts
    12 September 2021 at 7:18:34 #933260

Do you mind asking which app did you download QR code to?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    12 September 2021 at 7:22:12 #933261

@Caprichosa, here is a very informative link to the covid certificate information, including links to the covid apps for various devices. I downloaded from the Apple App store (for iPhone) and it is very simple to use.

http://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/covid-zertifikat.html

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    12 September 2021 at 10:43:55 #933262

Thanks a lot. I will start checking the cantonal map. I believe Lucerne is in the Canton Zurich.

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:13:15 #933263

Hi Judy! Did your application for Bern succeed? I don’t think you have to apply for Zurich too. One (succesful) application should be enough to obtain the certificate that’s valid throughout Switzerland.

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:17:29 #933264

Hi Terry and David! Thanks for keeping us updated. I’m happy to hear you had a smooth trip so far, and your explanation about the test procedure before flying home is very valuable. We’d be be very happy with a trip report (http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports) once you’re back, but you’ve already been very helpful :-)!

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:19:20 #933265

Hi Navis! Good to hear you didn’t encounter any problems during your 4-week stay. I hope you had a wonderful time :-)!

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:21:37 #933266

Hi Richard123, good to know you received your certificates in time. It looks like the online application process starts working, for some cantons at least. I hope you’re all set now!

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.