Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:23:57 #933267

I haven’t received a response yet. I’m hoping before tomorrow morning.

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:28:36 #933268

Hi Kim, thanks for your kind words. Yes, it’s a challenge sometimes keep all information updated, especially if new rules are announced but not all details are confirmed yet ;-).

Thanks back to you for keeping us updated while you’re in Switzerland. That’s very valuable! i added the link you provided, with details about the COVID-certificate, to our first post. I think it’s helpful to many travelers, as it also explains which apps to use, where it’s required, and so on. Good catch!

I hope there will be a clear, nation-wide application process in a few weeks. Meanwhile, it’s good to see that some cantonal applications already work successfully.

Have fun in Wengen!

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    12 September 2021 at 11:55:29 #933269

All set for now. Thanks

Newtraveller
    Participant
    10 posts
    12 September 2021 at 15:37:28 #933270

Submitted on Friday afternoon (east coast time) for my wife and I in Bern. Nothing yet. Did people submitting to Bern receive any confirmation of receipt?

hopefully we get it by tomorrow. Gl everyone else also. Fun times traveling during covid :).

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    12 September 2021 at 15:42:32 #933271

I, also, submitted late on Friday. Have not received it yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

traveler42
    Participant
    6 posts
    12 September 2021 at 15:51:26 #933272

When I got my certificate through Bern last week the only e-mail I got was the actual certificate. I’m on the US west coast and applied in the evening, which would have been the middle of the night in Switzerland, and got the certificate a bit after midnight, which would be just after 9 AM the next day in Switzerland. My guess would be that someone needs to manually review the documents you upload to make sure they match what you entered in the form before the certificate is issued, and that whoever does that is only working during normal business hours in Switzerland. Hope you get your certificates soon!

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    12 September 2021 at 15:53:19 #933273

Yes. I agree. I also think that the volume they’re receiving since the formal announcement must be increasing. So I will be patient.

Yeldus
    Participant
    28 posts
    12 September 2021 at 19:47:43 #933274

Hello Kim,

Thank you for the link. But the iphone app link at Swiss Health site didn’t open for me: it kept saying “waiting”. I tried several times. I am in Bern and I don’t have access to a printer. Can I use the pdf file with the app? Tomorrow I am going to Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you very much,

Yelda

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 September 2021 at 5:22:37 #933275

Here is the link to the iPhone version of Swiss Covid App at the Apple App Store:

apps.apple.com/ch/app/id1509275381

The link is also in the document cited in the long summary (first entry to this thread)

The app itself doesn’t do you much good unless you have the QR code from your Swiss Covid Certificate to upload into it. It seems to be just a place to store documents in one place

When you receive the Covid Certificate it will come in a PDF document that also contains the QR code. You can simply show that on your phone. You don’t need to use the app, it’s just a convenience thing

Yeldus
    Participant
    28 posts
    13 September 2021 at 5:49:02 #933276

Thank you Kim. This link worked!

Yelda

Anna
    6355 posts
    13 September 2021 at 6:50:03 #933277

Hi Jm5245,

Lucerne is in Canton Lucerne. The cantonal link for the Covid certificate is here: http://www.lu.ch/covid_zertifikat

The website is in German. You might need Google Translate to help you fill up the form. The link to the Covid certificate app is also provided on the website.

Hope this works out for you.

Regards,

Anna

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    13 September 2021 at 10:01:21 #933278

Thank you Anna.

I have the page translated. But there appears to be no way for a US visitor to apply. I am waiting until the 20th to see what the Federal authorities come up with for tourists. I have downloaded the app. We depart for Zurich on October 13th. So I hope we will have time to comply with whatever rules they issue

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 September 2021 at 10:10:29 #933279

@jm5245, lots of activity on this and other forums today about travelers trying to apply for Swiss Covid Certificate. As of this time of this day (things changing constantly!) the only success I have heard about is from those applying via the Bern canton site. Here is the link:

http://www.gef.be.ch/gef/de/index/Corona/Corona/covid-zertifikat/application-for-persons-vaccinated-or-recovered-while-abroad.html

It’s in English. You may want to give that a try. A number of locals here in Switzerland have heard that the Certificate is valid across all of Switzerland (and maybe even all of EU) regardless of which canton issues it. My Certificate says it was issued by Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH), not a specific canton

Or, as you say, wait to see what is announced 17 Sept. That’s the day the announcement is supposed to happen with decisions put into effect beginning 20 Sept. Official announcements show up at this site, usually on same day:

http://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov.html

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    13 September 2021 at 10:27:42 #933280

Thank you for all you do on this site.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    13 September 2021 at 12:34:54 #933281

As a follow-up. I did receive my certification documents on Saturday morning from the Bern site. I had sent a note to the Schwyz canton web site covid hot line. Since Schwyz is where Brunnen is. The web site did not have link to request a certificate. I received a note this morning requesting our vaccination cards and identification information so they could send us our certificates. Plus a welcome to Brunnen note. I had also applied at the Jura canton web site. They sent a note saying certificates were only available for residents. So clearly, the process is still developing. We leave in a few hours to arrive in Switzerland tomorrow. Have a nice day.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    13 September 2021 at 16:56:11 #933282

Hi Today, I sent an email to all my hotels in France and Switzerland wiht a pdf of my Swiss Covid Pass. They all sai dit would work including the french hotel. Several hotels sent me an email yesterday informing me that we would need a Swiss Covid Pass to stay at their places because of the new rules in Switzerland. I fyou are going to Switzerland, get your Swiss Covid pass before you go. The Bern pass cam eback in less 24 hours. Apparently the French hotel said we could use the Swiss pass there . We applied several times for the French pass and only got an automatic reply saying they were busy. Enjoy your trips but make sure you ahve vaccine card and get theat Swiss pas or you may be very unhappy when your hotel refuses to check you in until you get a Covid Test which will cost you 70 SFR or more. Some of hte towns also may not have a place to get the fast covid test like Zermatt.

This note came from our Hotel in Zermatt today:

The Swiss Federal Council decided on 08.09.21 that from Monday, 13 September 2021 the Covid certificate obligation for restaurants, bars and wellness areas will also be extended to hotels. This means for us and for you that all guests as of 16 years must present such a certificate at check-in.

If you are not vaccinated or have not recovered, you have the option of testing for a certificate. We recommend that you have a PCR test done 1 day before arrival as this is valid for 72 hours, whereas an antigen test is only valid for 48 hours.

If you are staying longer than the validity of your certificate, please note the following:

At the moment Zermatt does not have its own testing centre.
    Please book an appointment with one of our Zermatt doctors well in advance (before your certificate expires), you will find a list of telephone numbers HERE.

The antigen rapid test takes 15 minutes and costs CHF 90.00 per person here in Zermatt. For a PCR test, the result can take up to 48 hours and the test costs CHF 180.00 per person.

We look forward to your visit,

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    13 September 2021 at 17:29:33 #933283

There are 8 of us in Grindelwald right now . We all applied for the covid ceeticated the same day. 6 of us got it in two days the other two still have not gotten it and starting today they are requiring it to eat inside . We tried a couple place to get inside showing their covid cards and nobody took them .

Newtraveller
    Participant
    10 posts
    13 September 2021 at 17:31:55 #933284

Giants fan when did you apply? I applied on Friday and so far nada which is making me feel a bit nervous.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    13 September 2021 at 17:39:10 #933285

I’m in Murren ….. and I, also, have not gotten my Bern certificate. It’s now been 72 hours since I applied. I’m hoping to be able to get by without needing it now, as I head for the airport tomorrow and fly out on Wednesday. I’m assuming my test results (that I will get at the airport) will be sufficient for sleeping at the hotel overnight.

Anna
    6355 posts
    13 September 2021 at 19:21:57 #933286

Hi everyone,

It seems like most hotels are asking for the Covid certificates for overnight stays although it’s not obligatory according to the FOPH. If you have a trip coming up or arriving before Sept 20th, please contact your hotels and ask for clarification. Please see our latest update (first post of this thread).

Right now, the only cantons I know that have successfully issued Covid certificates to travellers who are vaccinated abroad are Canton Bern and Canton Geneva. Apparently some requests could take a few days as there has been a lot of requests since this regulation came into force.

The Swiss Covid certificate is compatible with the EU Digital certificate so you should have no issues using it in Germany, France, Italy, Austria and other Schengen countries. However always check with the regulations of the countries you are visiting as changes could happen at short notice.

Regards,

Anna

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.