Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Terry
    Participant
    28 posts
    14 September 2021 at 18:09:41 #933307

Looks like we got in under the wire (our Switzerland trip was September 1-13). We got the Covid certificate on Sunday with our negative test results (see prior post), and had documents in hand for our flights yesterday. We had to sign the CDC Attestation form to board our flight (link sent by Delta airlines, but it was also possible to sign it at the airport) from Zurich to the U.S., stating that we had been tested within 72 hours prior and had tested negative. We were not asked to show our Swiss Covid certificate or our CDC vaccination card the whole way back. But, I would say that for anyone flying back to the U.S. to get to the boarding gate earlier than usual. After a normal checkin process before security, most of the time it took to get on our flight was at the gate because of the Covid-related checks and lines.

Whew! It was a perfect trip, just modified a few times because of changing virus situations.

Terry and David

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    14 September 2021 at 19:10:58 #933308

Staring our trip The United checkin asked for our Covid test even rboyfh I had a vaccine caed. Luckimy we got one just in case. Asked if we flled out the Swiss cobtact form which we had vut did nit ask to see it.

In Wengen you can get a test by calling tbe cli ic which we did becore we left.

So far so gpod.We keep our fingers crossed and masks on.

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 September 2021 at 6:38:05 #933309

Thank you TonyS! For other readers: the link with an overview of test locations can also be found in the 1st post of this thread and at http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus/planning.

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 September 2021 at 6:40:57 #933310

So happy to hear that, Terry and David! We’d love to hear more about your experiences :-). If you have time and feel like it, you could write a trip report (http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports).

Newtraveller
    Participant
    10 posts
    15 September 2021 at 10:57:23 #933311

Got the Bern certificate. Applied on Friday and then again yesterday as the website had changed. So not sure which one went through. Bit of a relief as we fly tomorrow.

Can we show the pdf or do we need to link it through on the my covid app? The pdf also seems to have a Qr code that can be scanned.

Tourgypsy
    Participant
    52 posts
    15 September 2021 at 11:35:18 #933312

I applied for the Bern certificate last Friday as well and received it a our an hour ago. Unfortunately I’m on my flight about to take off for home. 😀

It’s been another wonderful stay in Switzerland. And it would have been almost impossible with the help of all of you. Thank you. See you next year.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 September 2021 at 12:21:25 #933313

Hi Newtraveller,

Both the Covid certificate in PDF form and electronic form (on the Covid App) are accepted. The most important element of the certificate is the QR code. And you might also be required to show your ID/passport for verification.

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 September 2021 at 12:26:18 #933314

Hi Tourgypsy,

Glad it worked out for you. Have a safe trip home and we’d love to hear about your travel experience when you have the time.

The Covid certificate is valid for a year in case you decide to come back for another visit soon 🙂

Regards,

Anna

TonyS
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 September 2021 at 13:20:17 #933315

Hi Anna,

The Covid certificate is valid for a year from the last dose. In my case, my last dose was on April 30 and the certificate says it is valid until April 29, 2022.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    15 September 2021 at 16:21:37 #933316

We are in France. They asked for the certificate at passport control at Zurich and at our hotel un France.

Richard123
    Participant
    44 posts
    15 September 2021 at 18:02:24 #933317

Staying at a hotel in Brunnen. Desk clerk scanned our Cert app on the phone. Tonight at dinner, hostess came to each table and asked our status. Left a marker on the table.,

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 September 2021 at 18:07:54 #933318

Hi Richard123, Rgoppelt,

Thanks for sharing. It’s great to get updates in real-time. safe trip everyone 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Igor_MK
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 September 2021 at 18:44:54 #933319

Hi

Do We who have a common pass need to get a Swiss Covid certificate?

Regards,

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 September 2021 at 5:31:59 #933320

Hi Igor MK,

The Swiss Covid certificate is required for access to indoor places such as restaurants, bars, museums, fitness centres and theatres. Some hotels may ask for it too for overnight stays. Please check with your hotel regarding this. The EU Digital Health certificate is also recognised in Switzerland.

Please read the first post of this thread for more details and useful links.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 September 2021 at 15:15:54 #933321

Dear travelers,

I just updated the 1st post of this thread. It contains information about the new entry rules starting from September 20. I also updated information regarding the COVID-certificate. Note that until October 10, all foreign vaccination certificates are recognized and are valid to enter the public areas a Swiss/EU certificate is required for :-).

Not all details are available yet, but we’ll keep adding more once they’re confirmed. I hope this helps all of you who are planning a trip to Switzerland.

Annika

Igor_MK
    Participant
    5 posts
    17 September 2021 at 16:26:07 #933322

Hi

finally good news and those from Canton Bern overbooked gave up issuing certificates to tourists 🙂

See you on monday 21 sept

Regards,

traveler42
    Participant
    6 posts
    17 September 2021 at 17:44:37 #933323

One quick note regarding my experience with my certificate from Bern — the immigration officer at the Zurich airport on the 15th would not accept the QR code on my phone as proof of vaccination. She did accept a printed version of the same Swiss certificate (and I believe would have accepted the CDC card as well if I had dug that out of my bag first.) The QR code on my phone has worked fine at museums and restaurants in both Switzerland and Liechtenstein though, although some people were surprised I had one.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    18 September 2021 at 16:10:34 #933324

One tipwith certificate.Print out a hard copy

The museum in France couls not read tbe pdf form and needed to use the hard copy.

MegandChris
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 September 2021 at 16:31:55 #933325

For anyone traveling from Switzerland to Italy:

We are in Italy now after a week stay in Switzerland. We are flying United home from Italy so we just purchased extra covid test kits through them and used their monitored system to take a test before we traveled by train from Grindelwald to Milan. Our last train was from Spiez to Milan. At the stop in Domodossola, we didn’t get off just passing through, they came around and checked everyone’s documentation for a negative covid test. It was quick and easy.

Today we used the NAVICA/emed system again to test as we are flying back to the states in a couple days. Both times we tested there was no wait and it was very easy. Whole process done and documentation received in a half hour.

Hope this is helpful to someone as we received much helpful guidance from this site!

Meg

Anna
    6382 posts
    18 September 2021 at 18:21:25 #933326

Hi Meg,

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I’m sure it will help someone on the forum who may be travelling in that direction.

Safe travels and hope you’ll share your Swiss experience once you’re back home 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.