Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 September 2021 at 12:59:46 #933327

This is an excerpt from SWISSINFO.CH

CORONAVIRUS:The Situation in Switzerland

Switzerland is tightening curbs to prevent further spread of the virus. From September 20, anyone over 16 entering Switzerland who has not been vaccinated against Covid-19 or recovered from the virus must provide a negative Covid test result, then another negative test 4-7 days after entry into the country, the government said on September 17.

From September 13, Swiss residents must show a Covid certificate to access indoor spaces like restaurants, bars and museums in order to quash a fourth wave of infections that is putting pressure on hospitals.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 September 2021 at 13:12:47 #933328

Thank you Jwd226, and welcome to MySwissAlps! You’ll find of all that and more details in the very first post in this thread.

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    20 September 2021 at 13:48:18 #933329

InZermatt

The Hotel Julen checks all their diners for the healrh oass. Every store has a sign and a hands cleanser station. Poor weather today. We were lucky wr were not driving on the Gfimsal pass on Monday. Snowed .There was a very long line for thr cR train at Lochst urg going north.

at the entrance….

Inermatt Z

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 September 2021 at 15:57:02 #933330

A Swiss covid certificate for entry into certain public areas is not available to citizens of the United States traveling in Switzerland. What does a US citizen show in lieu of the Swiss covid certificate, proof of vaccination?

Anna
    6362 posts
    20 September 2021 at 18:23:01 #933331

Hi Jwd226,

The Swiss government is still working on setting up a system for vaccinated travelers to obtain a Swiss COVID-certificate digitally. This should be possible in the first half October. Until then, foreign vaccination cards approved by WHO can be used to access areas that require Covid certificates. As Arno mentioned you can find this information in the first post of this same thread (refer #7).

Regards,
    Anna

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 September 2021 at 18:35:49 #933332

Thank you!

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    20 September 2021 at 19:25:42 #933333

I am American. I got my zwuss certificate througg the Bern website within 24 hours. I attached my passport and my covid card. I listed my hotel in Wengrn. I tried the zermatt Vslais website and could not get that one to work. All my French and Swis hotels required it before we couldcheck in. Every restaurant and museum requiref it. It was che ked at Zurich airport by passport. Control. One place could not read the phone sl I had hard copies with me. The United and Swiss airlines che ked my vaccine cards

. The United rep in Madison asked for my covid test even tbough as a vaccinated person it is bot required for Switzerland

.We fkew direct from Cbicago to Zurich. If you have a transit airport they mau require a covid test. I would getthe PCR tesy juzt in casr. Bring extra KN95 or better masks. Everyone in Swiss wears them and I reading a post that said some countries do not açcept tbose cheap blue surgical masks

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 September 2021 at 20:57:28 #933334

Just read this on news.artnet.com

From today, all visitors to Switzerland who have received an EMA-approved vaccine will be allowed to obtain a Swiss Covid certificate.

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 September 2021 at 21:03:45 #933335

This is what is on the canton of Bern’s website.

Please note:

No certificates are currently issued for tourists. You can get tested to gain access to areas with certificate requirements. Thank you for your understanding.

This application form is only for people who, live in the CANTON OF BERN, have their place of origin (Heimat) in the CANTON OF BERN or plan a stay of at least one month in the CANTON OF BERNE.

If you live, are staying or have your place of residence in another canton, you are kindly requested to contact that other canton.

You will find an overview of the other cantonal websites for applying for the COVID certificate

Other cantonal websites

Anna
    6362 posts
    21 September 2021 at 7:58:36 #933336

Hi Jwd226, Rggopelt,

Thanks for sharing this information.

During this transition phase, we expect there will be some confusion and complications regarding the issuance of Covid certificates to tourists. We obtain our information from the Federal Office of Public Health and the SEM, and try to update our info regularly. In lieu of the Swiss Covid certificates, other WHO- or EMA-approved vaccination proofs are indeed recognised. If you are travelling during this transition period, please check with your hotels about this travel requirement. Some hotels may have more restrictions than others.

Safe travel everyone.

Anna

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    21 September 2021 at 9:06:46 #933337

Thank you!

Billandsuz1
    Participant
    22 posts
    22 September 2021 at 17:56:40 #933338

We have just returned from a most memorable vacation in Switzerland. I’ll write a trip report to post later today. BUT – we monitored this thread several times a day while we were there with great interest. We had NO difficulties at all with restrictions or with re-entry into the US.

Swiss COVID restrictions: We applied to Bern, received nothing. However, we used our passport and our vaccination cards several times and they were accepted. (The Swiss staff are alerted each day re the status of the Swiss restrictions. They recognize that there is now a transition process until early October and that their own procedures are not fully set up yet. We used our vaccination card in restaurants, in museums, and in the Olympic Center.)

Re-entry to US: We had taken with us 2 self tests that we’d gotten from United Airlines; one for each of us. We downloaded the app. We took the tests in our room, 72 houris prior to our departure. It’s a very easy process. Simply follow directions. Tip: to go through the process, you’ll be prompted to use the Navica app. Sign on to Navica first, but then sign in to Emed.com to go through the testing process. They’re very quick and responsive. We showed the test results when we checked in for our flight from Zurich to the US. ALSO, we’d read in this forum and heard from others that different countries have differing restriction requirements. We were scheduled to return home, flying through and stopping at the Frankfurt airport. We changed our return airlines in order to go straight from Switzerland to the US in order not to deal with German restriction issues.

So go and have a wonderful time! The upside to dealing with the restrictions is that there are very few foreigners traveling so it’s just not crowded. Have fun!

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 September 2021 at 18:18:42 #933339

Hi We are havung a wonderful time in Zermatt. We are glad we have our Swiss covid passes.Today a week too late to help us,we got an email from France saying they are reviewing our application for a French health pass. If you are going to France try to get the Swiss pass if available otherwise you need to apply very very early like more than a month. We had applied to France many weeks ago. The Swiss are very efficient. We also mailed our pass info to all our hotels .The Swiss Hotel still checks your pass for admission and all their restaurants. Zermatt everyone wears a mask inside at all times. At the cable car today one person was not wearing a mask. The operator stopped him until a stranger gave him a mask to wear. Every store has a hand cleanser station right at their entrance.I wish America had the same rules and followed them like everyonre in France and Switzerland does everywhere.

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    22 September 2021 at 20:21:09 #933340

Thank you!

Was your vaccination card, Swiss entry form and US passport all that you needed to board your flight to Switzerland and to pass Swiss customs?

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 September 2021 at 20:43:40 #933341

We needed a passport and we had the swiss health pass. When we left from Madison we luckily had taken a covid PCR test because the United attendant tbe ticket counter was not aware of the Swiss rule which at that time did not require a test if tou were fully vaccinated..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2021 at 8:22:05 #933342

Hi Rgoppelt,

thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Please feel free to write a post about your expereinces also in the trip report part of the forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports.

Thank you,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2021 at 8:23:56 #933343

Hi Billandsuz1,

thank you for sharing this information, I am sure that many other readers find it helpful too. I cannot wait to read your trip report! 🙂

Tace care,

Ildiko

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 September 2021 at 11:35:17 #933344

Hi Billandsuz1! Thanks for your valuable input. I’m happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. Can’t wait to read your trip report :-)!

Billandsuz1
    Participant
    22 posts
    23 September 2021 at 13:11:54 #933345

Jwf226

Yes, We entered all of our information on the Swiss Entry Form. It must have been linked to our passports because the only documents they asked for at entry was the passports.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2021 at 13:27:16 #933346

So you removed my post.

Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.