Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

traveler42
    Participant
    6 posts
    24 September 2021 at 14:31:54 #933347

For anyone else who might be concerned about using a monitored self-test on SWISS in the future, it worked out well for me. I did the eMed monitored self-test on the 20th in Wengen and there was no wait for a proctor, so the whole process took about 20 minutes. I printed out the eMed lab report you receive by e-mail after the test and SWISS accepted it for my flight to the US on the 23rd without issue. I needed to show the negative test result printout when I checked my bag and again at the gate in Zurich, and then just before we arrived in San Francisco they announced that we should also have it ready to present for random inspection by the US health authorities as we disembarked, so be sure to hold onto it throughout the trip as you may need it more than once..

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 September 2021 at 15:14:54 #933348

Hi Harveyshot,

We’d like this forum to be on topic and friendly. Personal views on political matters are risky in that respect and might be removed. Please take a look at our forum rules to get a feel for what type of discussions we prefer here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules.

Enjoy your weekend!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2021 at 15:21:02 #933349

I’m in America, I certainly will.

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    24 September 2021 at 15:26:00 #933350

There were 8 of us who all took the at home test 3 day prior to leaving this past Sunday. NO wait and it was simple enough. The only slight snag we had as one of the couples went to an agent who said they did it too soon. (we knew that it was not 72 hours but 3 days) My friend said no the rules changed and please call a supervisor. Check in lady told them to go outside and get a rapid test. She, said no she wanted to speak to someone. Someone did come over and correct the check in lady that indeed was 3 days not 72 hours. Otherwise, no issues and will use them for all our future trips.

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    24 September 2021 at 15:51:17 #933351

Was this for your flight to the US?

GoGiantsfan
    Participant
    52 posts
    24 September 2021 at 18:03:01 #933352

Yes, it was for our flight back to the US. No testing needed to come to Switzerland .

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    24 September 2021 at 18:21:09 #933353

How about from the US to Switzerland? Did you need just the vaccine card, entry form and passport? Did you fly Swiss Air?

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 September 2021 at 19:01:17 #933354

Thanks for the update GoGiantsFan. Glad everything worked out for you.

Regards,

Anna

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    25 September 2021 at 10:48:48 #933355

I thank you for all your time and effort. I attempted to get a covid certificate from Luzern and was denied. I also attempted to get one from Zurich and there was no place to apply on their website. We were denied because our CDC vaccination cards are still valid. However we will not arrive in Zurich until the 13th of October. Three days after our CDC cards will no longer be accepted. So apparently the Federal Authorities have not set up anything with the cantons under these new rules, yet. I am hoping the new system comes on line. Otherwise we will have to cancel our trip by October 5th.

So please keep us all advised as soon as you get some news.

Thanks

Annika
    7124 posts
    25 September 2021 at 12:02:02 #933356

Hi jim5245! A nation-wide system to apply for the Swiss COVID-certificate is not available yet. In some cantons the application process already works, in others it doesn’t yet. Until October 10, there’s a transition phase. In this phase all valid foreign vaccination documents serve as a certificate, meaning you can enter the public areas for which a certificate is required. This probably explains why you were denied, because (at the moment) your vaccination cards are still valid. Plus, the cantons needs time to set up their digital systems.

By October 10 at the latest, a solid application process for tourists should be up and running, and I expect this will be in time for you. Otherwise, travelers entering shortly after October 10 (such as you) would get stuck. I’m pretty sure Switzerland doesn’t want this to happen :-). As soon as we have news, we’ll update our 1st thread of this post (currently under #7).

Rgoppelt
    Participant
    44 posts
    1 October 2021 at 21:03:44 #933357

We returned home on Sept. 30. I was pleasantly surprised that when I wento the clinic in Wengen there was no charge for the rapid antigen test. When I got to the airport the Swiss checkin agent asked for the paperwork of the test and that was the last time I needed the form. I also got an emai lfrom the French who said since I was home they would not process my application for the health pass. I was so lucky that I had Swiss health pass when I went to France before going to Zermatt. It worked everywhere. In France and Switzerland everyone work masks except children. In the Cable Car going up to the ice place in Zermatt, the operator stopped the car until one person not wearing a mask got one on. I felt very safe in Switzerland. Sadly it is not safe in the u. S. The Zurich airport was clean and provided plenty of hand santiizer stations. The Chicago Aiprport while trying to abide by Covid Regs was way to busy and the line for security and the crowded busses did not feel safe at all.

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 October 2021 at 5:16:37 #933358

Hi Rgoppelt, thanks for your travel update! Happy to hear you had smooth stay and felt safe in Switzerland. I hope you enjoyed your holidays. If you like, you can write a trip report here: https://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports.

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 October 2021 at 5:23:59 #933359

Dear travelers,

Please note that the transition phase for validity of foreign vaccination proof is extended from October 10 to to October 24. Until October 24, travelers who can provide proof of full vaccination don’t need a Swiss or EU COVID-certificate yet. A nation-wide system to apply for the Swiss certificate is being set up and it should be available by October 11.

Details can be found under #7 in the 1st post of this thread.

Have a lovely weekend,

Annika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2021 at 15:03:39 #933360

Funny how you moderators allow rgoppelt to bad mouth the US (again) but won’t allow me to defend my country. I guess if they suck up to Switzerland all is fine.

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 October 2021 at 18:39:59 #933361

I think our forum rules (https://www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules) are very clear. Everyone’s opinion is welcome, even if we or you do not agree. The trip reports section is available to share all experiences, good or bad. Political discussions and unrelated topics are not welcome, especially not with an unfriendly tone of voice. I do not see that in the post you mentioned.

I recommend to ignore comments about your country if you feel offended by them. The US and Switzerland are both amazing countries, but it’s not about that. Not at all. Simply focus on friendly replies or questions about trips to Switzerland please. Thanks.

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    2 October 2021 at 19:33:54 #933362

The Canton of Luzern changed their website this week. My wife and I applied for the Covid certificate again, for the third time. We received the QR codes via email this morning. The Canton wants a copy of your CDC card, Your entry and departure dates and the Address you will be staying at in Luzerne. It all went very smooth. We leave in 11 days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2021 at 19:51:56 #933363

“Sadly it is not safe in the u. S.“

That is a blatant political opinion.

Annika
    7124 posts
    3 October 2021 at 9:28:23 #933364

Thanks for letting us know jm5245. Happy to hear you got your certificate. I expect that many more cantons will soon have a smooth online application process for the COVID-certificate. It should be up and running for all of Switzerland by October 11 at the latest. I hope you’ll have a wonderful trip! Switzerland in autumn is beautiful.

Jchaluh
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 October 2021 at 22:36:41 #933365

Hi all,

This is my first post. I am traveling to Switzerland on the 10/21. I have had Pfizer vaccine. Getting the booster on Tuesday. I know that my vaccine card issued in the US is good to get into Lucerne. My concern is if we need to get a PCR to board a Viking river cruise, where can we find it in the center of Lucerne where it will not cost a $160 CHF?

I will be coming home in United in Paris. Viking will provide the needed test to enter the USA.

Thanks in advance.

Jwd226
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 October 2021 at 23:10:32 #933366

Would you provide the link to the website?

Viewing 20 posts - 681 through 700 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.