Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

vincenology
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 October 2021 at 7:16:58 #933387

Hi, this thread is so useful and informative on the covid travel.

However I do have a bit confusion though. I’m Malaysian (fully vaccinated Sinovac) travelling into Switzerland on 27 Dec for 14 nights. I noted that it doesn’t required Swiss Covid Certificate to travel into Switzerland. However the Swiss Covid Certificate is required for most restaurants and hotel. Does that meant I will not be able to entering into train(Glacier Express), restaurant, ski resort, hotel if I do not have the Swiss Covid Certificate?

I have browse through some official site it says, vaccinated Sinovac outside Switzerland will not be able to get the Swiss Covid Certificate. If that’s the case, the entire trip doesn’t make sense right?

Cheers,

Vincent

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 October 2021 at 10:41:42 #933388

Hi vincenology,

Yes, you are right. You are allowed to enter Switzerland if you are fully vaccinated with Sinovac. However you will not be able to apply for the Swiss Covid certificate as this vaccine is currently not recognised for this purpose. For travellers fully vaccinated with Sinovac, you will have to show a negative PCR or antigen test to obtain a Covid certificate, which will be valid between 48 to 72 hours. More details about this on the first post of this thread (refer #7).

You need the Covid certificate to access indoor facilities such as restaurants, cinemas and museums, as well as private events or gatherings. At the moment, the government is still considering whether to extend the use of Covid certificates in ski resorts. We will update this information as soon as this becomes clear.

Hope this helps you make your travel plans.

Regards,

Anna

vincenology
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 October 2021 at 14:51:38 #933389

Yes Anna, you’re right. However, I get in touch with the official in Zurich (city where I will be enter), he said even himself is not too sure on the actual procedure to obtain the Swiss Covid Certificate because the rules keeps changing from time to time. haha.

Do you know where can we obtain the certificate once we landed in Zurich?

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 October 2021 at 16:19:40 #933390

Hi vincenology,

The government is still working on a centralised system to issue Swiss Covid certificates for fully vaccinated travellers. This system will only be available commencing the final week of October.

For travellers unable to obtain the Swiss Covid certificate using their original vaccination certificate, they will need to take a PCR or antigen test, after which they will be issued with a Covid certificate that is valid for up to 72 hours. The tests can be taken at any test centres. Zurich Airport has its own testing facility and there are various local pharmacies that will do it for you too for a fee. Locate a test centre near you using this link: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/planning/about-switzerland/covid-pcr-test/

Let us know if you need further clarification.

Regards,
    Anna

Manjiri_vora
    Participant
    16 posts
    16 October 2021 at 2:37:41 #933391

Hi , found this regarding swiss covid certificate. Think from 18th october it can be applied for online.

http://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/covid-zertifikat/covid-zertifikat-erhalt-gueltigkeit.html

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 October 2021 at 7:40:13 #933392

Hi Manjiri Vora,

Thanks for the link.

For travellers who wish to get the Swiss Covid certificate now, you can apply through the cantonal websites but not all of them are currently working or provide English translation. The government plans to launch a centralised platform soon to enable travellers vaccinated abroad to obtain a Swiss Covid certificate. We will update this information as soon as the platform becomes available.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2021 at 22:34:31 #933393

I have noticed that the cantonal websites listed from the national govt website are only in German. That will not be much use to most tourists.

hmmm…

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 October 2021 at 4:55:18 #933394

I took a look at the websites for the cantons where French is spoken. For the Valais, Fribourg, and Berne (let’s not forget we have the Jura bernois) one can chose between French (FR) or German (DE). For the cantons of Jura and Neuchâtel, the only language available is French. The only canton where English is an option in addition to French is Geneva. Actually, this comes as no surprise when one considers the importance of English in many organizations based in Geneva. I didn’t check the other cantons as you have already looked at them, although I kind of wonder about Basel City.

And since most of what is discussed on this forum is centred on the cantons where the websites are exclusively German, I totally understand your your “hmmm…” comment (about the lack of English).

Maomaopug
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 October 2021 at 21:22:29 #933395

We are fully immunized (Moderna) US citizens who will be spending 10 days in Northern Italy 10/21-10-31.

After that we are traveling via train to St. Moritz for 3 days 2 nights. After much time online I have been unable to

use the Swiss Locator Form (which I’ll continue to try). My BIG concern is for getting the Swiss COVID pass.

When the new system is up (after 10/24 I believe) will we have time to apply and receive it online while in Italy?

Thank you for any assistance. Traveling is frustrating now. 🙁

Anna
    6382 posts
    19 October 2021 at 6:00:31 #933396

Hi Maomaopug,

Please apply for the Swiss Covid certificate online. The platform should be working now: covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign

The link to the online digital passenger locator form is listed in the first post of this thread (#1 under Can I visit Switzerland).

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    19 October 2021 at 8:29:18 #933397

Hi travelers!

A nation-wide system to request the Swiss COVID-certificate is available now. It’s in English and clearly explains how to apply, which documents to upload, and so on.

More good news: the certificate is available for travelers vaccinated with any of the vaccines approved by the Swiss and the European medical authorities, and by the WHO. This means that travelers who are fully vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, AstraZeneca, Sinovac and Sinopharm can all get a certificate.

We adjusted our 1st post of this thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. Information about the COVID-certificate can now be found under #5.

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    19 October 2021 at 10:17:13 #933398

Hi Annika, i am a british citizen do i need to apply for this?

Is UK’s proof of COVID-19

recovery and vaccination record will be accepted?

UK is not part of the EU anymore, is EU countries exempted to this?

Please see attached one photo which says that Switzerland will accept our vaccination record.

Thank you

Anna
    6382 posts
    19 October 2021 at 12:35:44 #933399

Hi NannyNorman,

Based on the information from the Federal Office of Public Health, foreign vaccination certificates, including NHS certificates, will be valid for access to events or facilities requiring a COVID certificate until 24 October.

After this date, if you don’t have the EU Digital Covid certificate and wish to access indoor public spaces during your visit in Switzerland, you should apply for the Swiss Covid certificate from the online platform mentioned above.

Regards,

Anna

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    19 October 2021 at 14:57:23 #933400

Hello and again thanks for all you are doing!

Am I correct that for the Pfizer vaccine, when filling out the form for the Swiss Certificate, I would choose Biontech Comirnaty?

Thanks!

Anna
    6382 posts
    19 October 2021 at 15:14:41 #933401

Hi luvmystang,

Yes, that’s correct.

You can find a list of the recognised vaccines in the first post (#2. Who is considered vaccinated)

Regards,

Anna

NannyNorman
    Participant
    56 posts
    19 October 2021 at 15:15:20 #933402

Thank you Anna

Maomaopug
    Participant
    5 posts
    19 October 2021 at 15:20:52 #933403

What a relief to get this link. Thank you so so much. Now we can relax and know we

will enjoy our few days in Switzerland.

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    19 October 2021 at 15:47:01 #933404

Oh sorry, I didn’t read all the way down to that part….

Thanks!

Jchaluh
    Participant
    11 posts
    19 October 2021 at 16:04:06 #933405

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but when I input my email and ask for the code, (about four hours ago) I do not receive an email from the Swiss authorities with that code.

jesse

Jchaluh
    Participant
    11 posts
    19 October 2021 at 16:21:57 #933406

We’re you able to receive the code after inputting your email address? I have been trying for over 4.5 hours. I am not getting g a reply. Maybe it has to be done on a laptop instead of a phone.

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.