Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    21 January 2022 at 16:15:50 #933627

Hi Rachbryn8,

Israel is one the countries where the vaccination and testing certificates are connected to the EU Digital Covid Certificate system. So these are also valid in Switzerland. You can see the list of countries with recognised Covid certificates here: foph-coronavirus.ch/certificate/where-can-the-covid-certificate-be-used/# (Scroll to section Travelling with the COVID certificate: entering other countries)

Regards,

Anna

APFELS
    Participant
    28 posts
    21 January 2022 at 23:43:39 #933628

Thank you! This is welcome news for those of who are vaccinated and trying to plan ahead. In the United States we have the CDC Vaccination Card. I (and the rest of the family) also have our vaccination recorded by our health provider on our mobile app and that provides a QR code to read details. Can you share how widely accepted the US CDC card is accepted for entry and does the health care provider’s record via the QR code assist for verification purposes?

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    22 January 2022 at 0:10:14 #933629

Thank you to all of you who responded to my concerns. It looks like the 270 day count begins with the date of the last shot, which is the booster in my case. Onward to June and here’s hoping things only get better!

Link

Link
    Participant
    34 posts
    22 January 2022 at 0:14:10 #933630

I am interested in the answer to your question too. I am from the US and have the proof of vaccination QR code also. It would be great if it will become compatible with the Swiss and EU certificates. Here’s hoping for both of us!

Link

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    22 January 2022 at 0:19:05 #933631

I am trying to rearrange our trip from Thailand to Switzerland. We have had two AZD (A1001 and A1021) and one Pfizer. The AZD were made in Thailand. Airlines and Swiss Embassy have been unable to confirm that we can enter Switzerland without having a test as the AZD vaccines were made in Thailand. Can you help please? Thank you.

Anna
    6355 posts
    22 January 2022 at 9:44:37 #933632

Hi Sweyne,

As far as I know the AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines are recognised in Switzerland. If you are able to obtain a Swiss Covid certificate from the national platform application system (you’ll find the link on the first post of this thread), then you should have no issue travelling to Switzerland.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 January 2022 at 10:21:21 #933633

Hi Apfels and Link!

The US card isn’t recognized by Switzerland. Maybe it will soon. We’ve added a link listing the countries from which certificates are accepted in the overview under #3 here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. As you’ll see, the United States aren’t listed there. But if you’re recovered and/or fully vaccinated you can apply or the Swiss certificate without any problems!

This all may change for the better before your trips. Many things might change in the coming months and let’s hope the developments will be positive :-).

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 January 2022 at 10:33:40 #933634

Hi luvmystang and Mark,

I understand your concerns about the validity period of your last jab. My expectation is that Switzerland is (or will be) aware of this upcoming problem and that it will adjust regulations in time. Today, an interview with the Swiss health minister revealed that he thought the COVID-certificate might become redundant if everything goes well. Of course that’s no guarantee whatsoever, nor does it concern entry rules for tourists. But I think it does show there’s willingness to relax measures if it’s possible.

I think you can quite safely go ahead with planning, but of course I can’t guarantee anything. If you make bookings, check cancellation conditions carefully. Not much of a definitive answer, I know :-).

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    22 January 2022 at 12:23:07 #933635

Thanks I too am very hopeful that by the time September rolls around things will be much better.

As always, thanks for all of your hard work to keep us updated and informed.

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    22 January 2022 at 12:37:53 #933636

Always helpful. Thank you Anna

APFELS
    Participant
    28 posts
    22 January 2022 at 13:21:30 #933637

Here is our situation: we are entering Switzerland from the U.S. with a flight landing in Zurich, then taking a train directly to Austria with no overnight stay in Switzerland planned, so it seems like I cannot apply for a Swiss certificate from a canton. Am I to book a room somewhere along the route and apply for a certificate after proof of securing overnight lodging?

Anna
    6355 posts
    22 January 2022 at 14:08:13 #933638

Hi Apfels,

If you are travelling directly to Austria via Zurich Airport with no overnight stay, you don’t need a Swiss Covid certificate to board the train. I’m not sure what the latest travel requirements are if you’re entering Austria from Switzerland. You would need to check this with the Austrian travel authority.

For information about train tickets to Austria: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/austria

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    22 January 2022 at 16:06:25 #933639

Hi Annika

Thanks for your thoughts

Of course your right, no one can predict the future regarding COVID effects on travel. Two years ago many thought all this would be over in 6 months (like the flu season). Well that ship has sailed.

The main dilemma many of us face in the US is with booking flights. I usually try to book them 6 months or more in advance. If you wait too long to book you risk the prices increasing substantially. But having to cancel the tickets because my booster shot is over a year old likely won’t qualify for a refund or even credit perhaps. We can buy refundable tickets but they are much higher($500 more for 2 business class tickets). Oh well as they say, “it is what it is”.

BTW hope you and Arno had a good New Year.

Mark

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    22 January 2022 at 18:46:02 #933640

Hey guys!

just a few questions. My family is planning to visit Switzerland this June. Our first and second dose are Sinovac, for the 3rd dose, some of us had Pfizer and some had Moderna. When applying for the covid certificate do we choose Sinovac or the 3rd dose (vaccine brand)?

Also, if we got our 3rd dose this January 2022, we are still covered for our travel on June 2022?

Lastly, when checking with travelcheck, does anyone know what “document” to choose? The only options are residence permits, cross border visa, D Visa, etc. There’s no option for tourist visa?

Thank you

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 January 2022 at 10:14:01 #933641

Hi Samuelxchang,

I’m not sure if the COVID-certificate is still required in June. But if it is, you can best fill out the vaccine you received most recently. So that would be Pfizer/Moderna in your case. The last dose you received is valid for 9 months (270 days to be more specific). So yes, your 3rd dose will cover a trip in June.

The documents that are listed in the travelcheck tool don’t include tourist visa, but that’s no problem. Simply click ‘Other’ at the bottom of the list. This will more or less tell the system you’re traveling as a tourist (as you don’t have any of the listed official documents relating you to Switzerland), and the advice you receive will be adjusted to that.

I hope this answers your questions!

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 January 2022 at 10:17:19 #933642

I get the dilemma Mark. It’s hard to figure out the right moment and the right type of ticket to book. Fingers crossed that traveling planning will soon become less insecure! I hope you’ll get to enjoy easy preparations and a fantastic stay in Switzerland this year :-).

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    23 January 2022 at 10:35:17 #933643

I’m so confused again … Yesterday it looked like I would be able to travel from Thailand to Switzerland being fully vaccinated and not needing any PCR/ART tests or quarantine etc. But today after contacting the hotel in Zermatt who have been holding my booking for the past 2 years things do not seem that straight forward. I was referred to a zermatt.ch website and bag.admin.ch and have been informed that the booster is only valid for 120 days and not 270 days. And that PCR tests will be required to enter Zermatt and leave Switzerland. This is all too confusing, I might just scrap the idea of holidaying in Switzerland and write off the hotel nights that I prepaid 2 years ago.

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    23 January 2022 at 13:14:35 #933644

Hi Annika!

Thank you for the very informative reply. Appreciate it!

Cheers

Samuel

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 January 2022 at 13:29:18 #933645

Hi Sweyne! That seems to contradict the information we have received so far. The rules have all just been updated, so maybe there’s still some confusion with the hotel staff. We didn’t see any mention of booster vaccines being valid for 120 days on the BAG site. Do you have a specific page on which this is stated? And a page that mentions PCR tests being required to enter Zermatt? Then we can see what’s it about.

In case of doubt you can call the international BAG/FOPH or COVID-certificate info line. Their contact details are at http://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/covid-zertifikat/covid-zertifikat-erhalt-gueltigkeit.html#-1428730671.

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    26 January 2022 at 8:24:29 #933646

Hi everyone! I’m planning to take the Bernina Express (Chur-Tirano-Lugano) on June and I am wondering if I need to take any RT-PCR test prior? Since the Bernina Express Bus from Tirano to Lugano will pass by some towns in Italy? Also, will there be passport control along the way?

Any help or suggestions are all appreciated.

Thanks

Viewing 20 posts - 961 through 980 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.