Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Oberland18
    Participant
    5 posts
    26 April 2020 at 21:45:23 #932747

Thanks for keeping current on the situation. I’ve been (blindly? foolishly?) holding my paid flight ticket and booking in the Scuol area for first week of June. However, as mentioned, the new realities of traveling anywhere at all may dictate otherwise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2020 at 17:58:44 #932748

Hello everyone!

As a new subscriber to this site, I am so thankful for this thread! Thank you so much for those of you taking the time to update all of us, as much as possible. I plan on spending July 21-26 in Switzerland. Fingers crossed this dream becomes a reality!

-Emily

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2020 at 14:08:40 #932749

Hi Emily, welcome to MySwissAlps!

End of July is a bit further, anything can happen. Let’s hope for the best 🙂 Keep an eye on the first posts of this thread. And check this one too: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus.

Take care, Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 April 2020 at 21:59:37 #932750

Hello,

On Wednesday the Conseil fédéral extended the ban on gatherings of more than 1000 people until the end of August. This was done in order to guarantee a certain coördination with neighbouring countries and also to reduce unwelcome surprises to potential organizers. As for gatherings of less than 1000 people, this decision will be made only on May 27. There are hundreds of gatherings that are affected by this decision.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 April 2020 at 22:21:05 #932751

More bad news, I am afraid. La Désalpe du Boéchet (canton du Jura) which was scheduled for October 10 has been cancelled and postponed until 2021.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 May 2020 at 0:48:16 #932752

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2020 at 18:36:39 #932753

Unfortunately our river cruise and airline reservations have been cancelled due to Covid 19. All our hotels in Switzerland allowed us to cancel our reservations with no penalty. We have reservations at Arenas Hotel in Wengen for June 1 and 2. We booked a non-refundable reservation, of which we always book because we have never had to cancel a trip yet. Mistake this time around.

Do you have any idea yet when hotels will be open for U.S. tourists in Switzerland. If the hotel is not open for tourists then I am hopeful they will refund our money.

Thank you for all for the information being posted.

Phyllis

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 May 2020 at 19:25:31 #932754

<<“Do you have any idea yet when hotels will be open for U.S. tourists in Switzerland. “>>

Hi Phyliss-

I think that is a question…but, I dont have the answer. I live in the USA.

The forum moderators keep this thread up to date, I believe.

Perhaps they can add more information.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2020 at 19:46:07 #932755

Thank you Slowpoke.

I will wait to see if the forum moderators have any up to date regarding the date hotels will open to visitors.

I am thinking that since we will not be taking boots on our river cruise next year and to our visit to Switzerland maybe we should forego a visit to Jungfraujoch and concentrate on other villages.

Phyllis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2020 at 4:57:40 #932756

Hello Phyllis,

At the moment there is no clear answer to your question, as the decision when and how to open the borders again for travellers has not yet been taken. That’s my up to date knowledge for the moment.

Regarding your plans to visit the Jungfraujoch I just wanted to comment, that you don’t NEED boots to visit, as lots of the “walking tour” on top of the mountain is do-able also in normal shoes. Going out in to the snow is another story, but I just wanted to let you know.

We’ll keep updating the forum with new information about the current situation and hope to be able to answer your question soon.

Best,
    Steph

WTandBeyond
    Participant
    31 posts
    15 May 2020 at 17:54:55 #932757

My family and I have a trip to Switzerland planned June 20th through July 2nd. I was pretty much assuming that it would have to be cancelled, but over the last few days I have received communication from Swiss Air that my flight (Chicago to Zurich, return) will be operating in June (and in fact has started operating now). It’s great that I have a mode of transportation to and from the country, but so far as I can tell Swiss borders will still be closed to travelers from the US on June 20th. Is there something Swiss Air knows that I don’t? I must admit that I was surprised they were starting up operations again, as Europeans aren’t allowed into the US currently and Americans aren’t allowed into Switzerland, so who is on the planes? Will borders be open to tourists from the US on June 20th? Thanks.

Anna
    6355 posts
    15 May 2020 at 22:15:56 #932758

Hi WTandBeyond,

Switzerland is gradually easing its border restrictions. As far I know, entry for citizens of other states (other than Germany and Austria) including the US continues to be restricted. However this might change when the Federal Council convene again on 27 May to decide on the next phase of easing the lockdown measures on 8 June.

At the moment, border restrictions have seen gradual relaxation since 11 May. From midnight 15 May, the borders between Switzerland, Germany and Austria will be open again. But these rules do not yet apply for France and Italy.

In your situation, I would recommend contacting Swiss Air direct for clarification about flight possibilities and entry restrictions.

The main airports Zurich, Geneva and Basel continue to operate with very restricted flights. According to the latest news, Swiss Air is planning to reintroduce more flights mid June. This is all assuming that current Covid-19 cases of infections and deaths remain low in Switzerland. It is envisaged that after 8 June, we would be allowed to go to the theatres and cinemas again, and visit zoos, parks and most mountain attractions. Public transportation has been running on regular schedule since 11 May, but gatherings and events of more than 1000 people are still banned until 31 August.

For more information about the coronavirus and the situation in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus

Regards

Anna

Alansheppard
    Participant
    5 posts
    25 May 2020 at 11:44:35 #932759

can anyone tell me if they think my trip to switzerland will run on 20/09/20 from london luton,i intend to travel by swiss travel pass for 8 days,also is it it better to buy swiss pass now or later,thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2020 at 17:12:14 #932760

Hello Alansheppard and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Currently it looks like a journey from UK to Switzerland in September might be quite possible, HOWEVER, it’s really hard to say, how things will develop.

One thing I can advise for sure – buy the Swiss Travel Pass later, if not even upon arrival, as there is no difference in price. Check out all tabs of below link to find detailed information on the Swiss Travel Pass:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

Stay positive and hopefully see you in Switzerland soon.

Best,
    Steph

Alansheppard
    Participant
    5 posts
    25 May 2020 at 23:02:08 #932761

thanks for the info

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    29 May 2020 at 4:24:51 #932762

Some useful advice below. Bottom line:. Best to avoid proactively cancel your trip, and wait for the official cancellation to get your refunds.

(From Scott’s Cheap Flights – 5/26/20)

FROM SCOTT: Airlines have spent the past month doing everything they can to avoid giving out refunds for canceled flights. Their favorite alternative: offering travel credit instead. It’s not right, it’s not legal, and you can’t pay for groceries with a Delta gift card. But they’re hoping you don’t know any better.

⚖️ Know your rights – If an airline cancels your flight, you’re eligible for a cash refund. Period. That’s not me talking, that’s federal law. (see passage above)

🗓 Schedule changes count
    If an airline significantly changes your flight itinerary, you’re also eligible for a refund.

Annoyingly, the law doesn’t define exactly what a “significant schedule change” is. Though it varies by airline, in general these would be considered significant:

2+ hour change to your arrival or departure time

Nonstop flight changed to a connecting flight

💵 No excuses
    If an airline cancels/changes your flight, you’re eligible for a refund, even if:

They only canceled/changed one flight in your itinerary

You had a basic economy ticket

It’s on a foreign airline. As long as a flight takes off or lands at a US airport, the airline must follow US law

The airline could really use the cash. That doesn’t give them the right to keep your money

✈️ What about third-party bookings?
    If you booked through a major online travel agency (think Expedia or Priceline), the good news is they’re generally following the airlines’ refund policies. If your flight is canceled, you’re owed a refund, even if you booked through a third party.

💪 Be proactive
    Few airlines are proactively telling passengers about their right to a refund because they’d prefer you accept a voucher instead. If they’re stonewalling, these are the three things you can do:

Hang up, call again. Airlines have thousands of call center agents and each has discretion to grant a refund. Countless times, I’ve been told no on the first two calls, only to be told yes on the third call.

File a complaint. The Department of Transportation will forward your complaint to the airline and threaten “enforcement action” if they don’t act soon. Here’s the form.

Credit Card Dispute. Banks have protections for customers in case they pay for something that they don’t ultimately receive (like, say, a flight that got canceled!).

✋ Wait to cancel
    If you voluntarily cancel, you’re only entitled to a voucher. Even if you’ve decided not to take a future trip, hold off as long as possible in the hopes the airline cancels your flight.

Anna
    6355 posts
    29 May 2020 at 6:23:35 #932763

Thanks for sharing Virgingorda!

Oberland18
    Participant
    5 posts
    30 May 2020 at 20:39:03 #932764

Thanks Virgingorda.

I have paid tickets with SwissAir, however the flight with their sister airline Edelweiss from Vancouver was canceled. My understanding from the SwissAir site is that because my ticket was booked prior to May 15, I should be able to re-book through 31 December 2021, provided I contact them by 31 January 2021.

Apparently there’s also an incentive discount CHF 50 ( for what it’s worth). I still want to visit, and for the moment considering this September. The question is what Switzerland will look like then, as far as tourism goes. Hoping for the best.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    31 May 2020 at 20:19:05 #932765

Thanks for the updates; As an American, I’m not betting on Swiss travel in 2020 (I have Swiss Air reservations for a two week trip in mid-July) and am chuckling that if any parameters are offered for American tourists to be allowed in, that it might include the caveat that we will be required to quarantine for two weeks upon entry, before country wide travel is allowed.

But I am genuinely curious about the re-opening of mountain transports. In many mountain gondolas, with an operator in the car, will 12-20 people packed in a car be allowed? That sounds like a recipe for wide scale transmission? Am I missing something here?

Stay Safe!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2020 at 21:49:19 #932766

Hi Will –

<<“That sounds like a recipe for wide scale transmission? Am I missing something here?”>

>

Hard to tell what you are missing; I can’t even do it for myself half the time. 😉

However, in my profession, hazardous operations are carried out only after safety reviews, which are followed up by mitigation of identified hazards.

If you run a chemical plant or a petroleum refinery successfully for even one day, you are necessarily mitigating a lot of hazards.

So, I shall now exceed my knowledge and authority, and presumptuously propose some ideas for consideration to the Safety Review Committee(s) of the transport systems which carry out those activities that you mention.

1.- I note that there are very short contact times… a matter of minutes, for the cableways, which in itself can reduce transmission of infectious matter for the passengers, if not the operator(s).

2.- Compulsory wearing of masks by passengers and the operator(s) could materially reduce transmission.

What would you do if you were running those transport systems?

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.