Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2022 at 9:43:22 #933647

Hi Samuelxchang,

June is very far so we cannot predict what will be the rules by then. At the moment you do not need any PCR tests to enter or reenter Switzerland, the same applies to Italy.

Regarding the pass control, yes, they might control it.

I hope this helps,

Take care,

Ildiko

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    29 January 2022 at 14:08:57 #933648

Thank you Ildiko.

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    29 January 2022 at 19:14:20 #933649

Hello,

I am planning to purchase the swiss travel pass and it says free cancellation up to 4 working days before the first day of validity. Does first day of validity mean, the day the trip starts?

Also, after buying the STP, how can I reserve seats for Glacier Express and other trains? When traveling with normal trains, there’s no need to buy ticket or do some validation or anything? You can just go straight to the platform?

Also, does anyone knows if there is a border restrictions between Austria and Switzerland? I heard from a friend that even if you have Schengen visa issued by Switzerland, there’s a chance that Austria might reject entry when visiting their country because of the border restrictions.

Thanks!

Anna
    6382 posts
    29 January 2022 at 20:04:49 #933650

Hi Samuelxchang,

Yes, I think the first day of validity means the first day of your trip.

The Swiss Travel Pass (STP) is valid on the Glacier Express and Bernina Express. You just need to make seat reservations. You can do that online using the following links:

If you travel on the regular trains, there is no need to make seat reservation. And you don’t need tickets either if you have the STP. Details on how to use the STP are provided here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse

Regarding border restrictions between Austria and Switzerland: currently there may be restrictions due to Coronavirus. You might need to present a Covid certificate prior to entering Austria. Make sure you check the latest travel restrictions with the Austrian authority. However under normal circumstances, a Schengen visa allows you to travel freely within the EU and member states.

For information about train tickets to Austria, have a look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/austria

Regards,

Anna

MyTravels
    Participant
    25 posts
    29 January 2022 at 22:54:06 #933651

Hi, just wanting to add further information to the Swiss COVID Certificate validity post, if you have applied for the certificate prior to the 31 January, the certificate will be valid for 365 days. I have just recently reapplied for a certificate based on my 3rd dose of the vaccine as the original certificate issued was only valid to the 29th July 2022 (as I had my 2nd dose of vaccine on the 30th July 2021) and my return flight home was booked for the 31st July (meaning I would not have a valid certificate for the final 2 days of my holiday). I received the new certificate this morning and was surprised to note the validity date is 28th December 2022 (I had my booster shot on the 29th December 2021) so I thought it would be helpful to let everyone know that if you do apply before the 31st January you will have 12 months validity on the certificate (if you find yourself in a similar situation to me).

Looking forward to another amazing Switzerland Holiday!!!

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 January 2022 at 8:29:41 #933652

Hi Samuelxchang,

The ‘first day of validity’ means the day on which your Swiss Travel Pass validity starts (https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse). You can choose this date yourself when purchasing your pass. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the first day of your trip.

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 January 2022 at 8:31:35 #933653

Thanks for sharing your additional information about the certificate validity, My Travels! That’s definitely helpful to know. I hope you’re all set for your visit to Switzerland :-).

CRCJR
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 February 2022 at 16:55:08 #933654

My wife and I plan on arriving in Zurich from the USA on April 1st for a month in the Alps. We will be traveling by rental car. We plan to drive from Switzerland to the Dolomites and Lake District of Italy. Then, after Italy, we drive back to Switzerland and to Zermatt. From Zermatt, we drive to Chamonix, France for 4 days. After Chamonix we return to Switzerland for the final part of our trip and return home from Zurich.

What type of tests and/or documentation will we need to make the multiple border crossings on our itinerary?

Anna
    6382 posts
    1 February 2022 at 18:22:39 #933655

Hi CRCJR,

For entry into Switzerland, currently you need to be fully vaccinated or recovered. There is no need to present a negative test unless you can’t show documentation of being vaccinated or recovered. These rules however may change in April, so I would advise to check on the rules again closer to your departure date: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

Similarly, you should check with the official travel authorities in France and Italy about their entry requirements.

Regards,

Anna

Samuelxchang
    Participant
    30 posts
    2 February 2022 at 6:09:12 #933656

Thank you Annika

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 February 2022 at 16:21:46 #933657

Hi all,

Good news! If all goes well, it’s likely that the certificate obligation in Switzerland will be lifted from February 17 2022. In the coming weeks, the government will be considering several scenarios to ease COVID-measures. A decision will probably be announced at February 16. We’ll update our information in the first thread of this post once we know more.

Tamy
    Participant
    7 posts
    13 February 2022 at 14:19:32 #933658

Hello.

Can’t wait to find out the latest guidance about Covid next week!

There was a recent Swiss Travel Pass offer which has now ended, how often do discounts offer come for STP?

Thank you.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 February 2022 at 16:29:54 #933659

Hi Tamy,

Yes, I think we can expect good news next Wednesday :-)!

As for Swiss Travel Pass offers: there’s no way to tell if and when promotions become available unfortunately. As soon as we know about them, we’ll post in the rail forum (http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/rail) and you’ll find information at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/promotions and http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/promotions.

Merav
    Participant
    6 posts
    15 February 2022 at 8:33:51 #933660

hello

Thank you for the most updated and helpful internet site I ever saw!

what is the defenition of fully vacinated?

3 shots? recovery + 2 shots?

I understand that the last shot must be in the last 270 days-but is “last”?

also, I have filled the entry form – how long does it take to receive their verification e-mail?

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 February 2022 at 9:49:59 #933661

Hi Merav,

You are considered fully-vaccinated if you have completed at least two doses of vaccines approved by the Swiss authorities, EMA or WHO. For further information, refer to No.2 on the first post of this thread.

If you have recovered from Covid-19, you should have a certificate to prove this. If you recently had a booster, the validity of your certificate would count from your last shot.

You should receive a confirmation email as soon as you have successfully completed the application form for a Swiss Covid certificate. Please check your spam box. It takes about 5 days to get approval.

Regards,

Anna

luvmystang
    Participant
    106 posts
    Annika
    7124 posts
    16 February 2022 at 16:17:52 #933663

Hi all,

We’re very happy to announce great news for all travelers to Switzerland!

Nearly all restrictions will be lifted from tomorrow, February 17 2022. No more proof of vaccination, being cured or negative test results are needed upon entry. You no longer have to fill out an entry form before departure. And the COVID-certificate for restaurants, museums and other indoor areas is no longer a national requirement.

Please find updated information in the 1st post of this thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland. We don’t have all details yet, but we’ll keep adding information in the next few days.

Happy planning :-)!

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    16 February 2022 at 16:35:52 #933664

So great news!!! We are looking forward to summer 2022! 🤗🤗🤗

Marvelett54
    Participant
    12 posts
    16 February 2022 at 19:56:14 #933665

Oh wow I’m so happy we can do our trip now to Switzerland now through the alps and along the passes I’m so looking forward to busting this beautiful country this is great new for me as I’m from England 😊😊😊😊

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 February 2022 at 11:47:17 #933666

HI all,

Contrary to what was communicated yesterday, not all entry requirements seem to have been be lifted. Being vaccinated is still required for citizens from some third countries. Currently, there’s conflicting information. We’ll keep trying to find out more and we’ll keep updating the 1st post of this thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 981 through 1,000 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.