Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    31 May 2020 at 22:11:18 #932767

Hi All

I have a trip planned to Switzerland in September as well. The country may be slowly opening piecemeal but for me to go I think a minimum requirement is the opening of transportation (trains, cable cars, cog trains, etc), hotels, places to eat, Swiss attractions (like Schynige Platte), and of course an open border to US tourists. Anything less seems like a deal breaker to me. I would of course be happy to comply with any safety measures the Swiss government mandates (masks, distancing, crowd restrictions).

I have a trip scheduled for California in July. The airlines, hotels, and golf courses are now open in Pebble Beach but not the restaurants except take out. Without being able to sit down for a meal in a restaurant the experience is not really worth it. The same would apply to Switzerland I think, if it comes to that in September.

Mark

Janice3401
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 June 2020 at 0:48:36 #932768

I totally agree that without the things you mention (restaurants, Schynige Platte), it would not be the same. We are American owners of an apartment in Switzerland and were hoping that Switzerland would follow Iceland’s approach—testing all international tourists at the airport upon arrival using a test that provides results in 2 hours. Of course, this would be much more difficult in Switzerland because of multiple entry points, tourism is absolutely critical to Iceland’s economy and am not sure if current quick results tests are accurate.

Janice

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    1 June 2020 at 7:50:33 #932769

All of a sudden, those “less desirable” chair lift systems; you know what I’m talking about (open air, amusement park type lowering handle to secure you in) seem way more preferable; but the irony is that they are used at lower altitudes, or intermediate system points. The highest peaks use the enclosed gondolas, and some of them exceed the recommended 15 minutes in an enclosed space with more than 10 people.

Stay safe.

Will

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    1 June 2020 at 7:54:41 #932770

Hi Janice,

Please keep us informed of your status, given your interesting position. I would not rule out being required to self-quarantine for two weeks, either in your home in Switzerland if you are lucky, or at an airport facility location, if you are not.

Good Luck

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    1 June 2020 at 12:29:30 #932771

Hi Will

Apparently no activity is risk free and sometimes assessing the amount of risk is not so strait forward. As you rightly pointed out riding a cable car may involve a small confined space for 15 minutes or more. The risk may be mitigated somewhat by opening the windows to promote air flow. Most have at least small ventilation windows and promoting air flow could be quite beneficial. Of course limiting occupancy, mask wearing, hand sanitizers will help as well.

But your right to be concerned about public transport. Hopefully the Swiss government will institute safety measures to help lower the risk but it will never be zero. I guess each of us has to decide how much risk we are willing to accept. Personally I’m more concerned about riding in trains especially around urban areas than cable cars. But I have no real scientific data to support this.

I’m curious to see how the Swiss government balances the need for public safety and the important financial impact tourism has on the economy. Limiting tourism makes sense of course but it can’t last forever without serious consequences. I’m glad I don’t have to face that responsibility.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2020 at 12:48:29 #932772

Is tourist from USA will allow to enter In July?

Janice3401
    Participant
    29 posts
    1 June 2020 at 14:09:29 #932773

Thank you and will post any updates. BTW, love this forum. So many interesting posts and great information.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 June 2020 at 14:20:45 #932774

Hi Janice –

Glad you are enjoying the Forum.

We’re pleased to welcome you, fully expecting that you will help with –

“interesting posts and great information”

Slowpoke

Jady
    Participant
    2 posts
    2 June 2020 at 7:25:42 #932775

Hi. I have a chalet booked with a private owner from 17th July for 6 weeks. Considering we are in the UK , I cannot imagine that we are going to be able to come to Switzerland this year ( we visit every year at least twice). Have the Swiss government issued any guidelines yet for UK travellers does anybody know? Thanks guys

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 June 2020 at 3:40:43 #932776

Hi Jady,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Entry from all Schengen countries should be possible from July 6 at the latest. Whether the UK will join is not known yet. I’d wait until closer to the date before cancelling. Please keep an eye on our corona section for the latest news:

Of course it also depends on whether the UK allows people to travel. I’m not sure if that’s the case?

Jady
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 June 2020 at 10:37:14 #932777

Thank you Arno. I am keeping my eye on everything!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2020 at 14:01:54 #932778

Hello all! This forum has been really helpful so far – so thanks!

I am intending to move to Basel from the UK at the end of July. I do not yet have a work permit (although my boyfriend does) so under the current rules won’t be allowed in. However, I’ve seen that the borders with Schengen countries will be open – do you think this means I might be able to catch a flight from the UK to a country allowing UK visitors (e.g. Germany), and then travel onwards from there?

Any insight into rules / checks at the border crossings would be v. helpful!

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 June 2020 at 14:54:04 #932779

Hi Pvish! Unfortunately we don’t know when tourists from the USA will be allowed. No agreements have been made with non-Schengen countries yet. As soon as there’s more information, we’ll update the first post of this thread. I know you have a trip scheduled for next July. If all goes well, tourists should be able to enjoy the Swiss Alps then, as tourist transportation will be running and restaurants will be open. So fingers crossed this will all be available to tourists from the USA and other countries too!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2020 at 19:14:52 #932780

Hi Fishecf and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Entry from all Schengen countries should be possible from July 6, although I haven’t heard anything about the UK. Please keep an eye on the first post of this thread, Arno updates it regularly. As far as it is known whether people from the UK are allowed to travel to Switzerland, you can read about it there.

Other coronavirus and travel planning information can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus.

Ildiko

ssuda70
    Participant
    13 posts
    6 June 2020 at 5:51:47 #932781

Hi,

I am planning a family Holiday trip from Malta to Italy , Switzerland and Germany by car .

Crossing borders by car from Northern Italy to Switzerland will be possible in mid July 2020 ??

Best Regards

Simon.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2020 at 6:10:39 #932782

Hi Simon-

There are a lot of details on that point available in the first post in this thread. It is updated regularly, and has useful links.

According to that post, the borders should be open by mid July. However, it is most helpful in circumstances such as these to know an exact date for your planned travel.

And, the official plans and status can change.

Slowpoke

Anna
    6355 posts
    6 June 2020 at 6:16:47 #932783

Hi Simon,

If all goes well, Switzerland’s Federal Council plans to lift all travel restrictions and re-establish free movement of persons across the Schengen area no later than 6 July 2020. This includes opening up the the Swiss-Italian border. Please follow the latest updates here: http://www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2020 at 11:23:53 #932784

Hello

We are due to travel from the UK to Switzerland on holiday on 4 July. I understood that borders wouldn’t be open with the UK then, and asked the holiday company if I could move the trip to late August. They have refused, saying that borders with the UK will be fully open for UK tourists on 15 June.

Is this right? It is mentioned in the post at the top of the thread, but that also still refers to the 6 July date for Schengen countries.

Is 15 June a definite date for the borders to be open, an aim, or the date when borders will start to reopen?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2020 at 18:35:01 #932785

Hello Kate,

Your holiday company is right, the borders will reopen with UK on 15 June, the first post of this thread has just been edited and the prior reference to July 6 removed (that was the planned date for free traveling within the Schengen zone, but that has changed into June 15). So you don’t have to move your trip to August!

Hope you will enjoy your visit to Switzerland next month!

Greetings

Sara

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2020 at 21:17:56 #932786

Thanks for the clarification, Sara.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 1,071 total)
  • The thread ‘Does the coronavirus affect trips to Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.