Does the Swiss Travel Pass make sense for me?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2017 at 18:09:15 #811134

I am trying to determine if purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass makes sense for me or if I should just purchase individual tickets.

I am arriving in Zurich on 31 March and will take the train from the airport to Lucerne. Will stay in Lucerne for two nights and will most likely take the boat around Lake Lucerne possibly over to Rigi. Is it possible to go up to Rigi in early April?

Then on 2 April I will take a train from Lucerne to Basel where I will board a river cruise ship. So a train from Zurich to Lucerne and a train from Lucerne to Basel. The boat at Lake Lucerne and possibly the train to Rigi. And then various trips on trams, etc while in Lucerne and part of the day in Basel.

Does the Swiss Travel Pass make sense? And any tips or advice on this type of trip?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2017 at 18:43:00 #860271

Hi Rwalke and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you were only taking the train to and from Luzern (local German spelling) then I would say point to point tickets are the way to go.
    The only way to know for sure is if you find ticket prices for all trains and boats you plan on using and compare to the cost of a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass or alternatively the Swiss Half Fare Card.

We have a page on ‘how to choose the best rail pass’ here and there is a helpful excel sheet there as well.

Another point to note, the STP also covers all local transit in Luzern and Basel so you don’t have to worry about buying any other tickets during your time in Switzerland (just hop on and go).

I hope that helps, if you have further questions do let us know!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2017 at 21:11:26 #860272

Thanks Lucas. I think it’s pretty close from the cost perspective and not having to but a ticket at places probably makes it a good decision to purchase the rail pass. Thanks again for the feedback.

• The thread ‘Does the Swiss Travel Pass make sense for me?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.