Itinerary help for my 13 night Swiss trip

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 December 2017 at 7:51:53 #872241

Hi Slowpoke, and anybody else interested in this thread,

You mentioned Le Landeron in your previous post, and I would like to add that an interesting time of year to visit is the last full weekend of September (the same weekend as La Fête des Vendanges in nearby Neuchâtel) when Le Landeron hosts La Fête de la Brocante, the largest open-air antique show in all of Switzerland. The dates for 2018 are Friday, September 28 to Sunday, September 30. http://www.neuchateltourisme. ch/en/events/main-events/flea-market-festival-le-landeron.1794.html The following link (in French only) shows other activities that occur in Le Landeron during the year. http://www.avvl.ch/ I have been going to this fête for the last seven years running and I never tire of it.

Also, on this same weekend, up above Le Landeron (NE) and La Neuveville (BE) in the commune of Lignières (NE), since 1970 they celebrate La Fête de la Désalpe, when they bring the cows down from the higher elevations (La Métairie de l’Isle) to Lignières. It is the only one in the canton of Neuchâtel. I will upload a couple of videos that I made this September, as that will be the easiest way to give you the flavour of what goes on. Here is a link to their website (French only). http://www.fetedeladesalpe.ch /page5.php I note that next year it will be on Saturday, September 22, one week earlier than the other two fêtes I have mentioned. On a clear day, the views from the slopes above Lignières over to the Swiss Alps are magnificent.

By the way, I sometimes will include a link that is not in English, because I figure that anybody with an open mind will still learn from poking around the various pages. The language of a photograph or a map or a video is universal in a certain sense.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2017 at 8:42:24 #872242

Thanks for the links and tips Peterli – an area of Switzerland I haven’t explored yet.

Links in any language are always appreciated – Google Chrome can help with basic translations as well.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 December 2017 at 10:21:39 #872243

Three short videos I made at La Fête de la Désalpe in Lignières this September.

youtu.be/qwhszXZW0pw

youtu.be/LZZY5dFcwx0

youtu.be/p3jSAzBvTsY

By the way, folk music is alive and well in Switzerland. Here is a list of groups from the Association Suisse de la Musique Populaire (Section Neuchâtel, Jura, and Jura Bernois): http://www.asmp-ne-ju-jb.ch/orchestres/

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 December 2017 at 10:36:37 #872244

Thanks, Peterli

Here are a couple from near Ennetburgen.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 1:04:51 #872245

>> Three short videos I made at La Fête de la Désalpe in Lignières this September.

Thank you, I enjoyed those videos! I went to the Alpabzug in Seewis im Prättigau in Graubünden last year, and it was truly a highlight of my trip! There are some pics here if you are interested:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/alpabzug-seewis-im-praettigau-8-october-2016

I see they announce the date of the Désalpe de Lignières well in advance, which is helpful. Many other Alpabzüge/désalpes don’t announce a firm date until much closer to the event, so that makes it harder arranging to be in the right place at the right time to attend.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 December 2017 at 1:23:25 #872246

Hi Alpenrose-

I went back to your link and repeat my comments:

<<“Those are very nice pictures of the Alpabzug. They really capture the

spirit of the event and are of excellent quality. You are right about

the goatherd. That is my favorite picture, followed by the one of the

men with the cowbells and yokes.”>>

They capture the spirit of the event, and the involvement of the people, and are lively and well composed images.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 December 2017 at 1:25:19 #872247

Hi Alpenrose –

<<“don’t announce a firm date until much closer to the event, so that makes it harder arranging to be in the right place at the right time to attend.”>>

Certainly true if you come from Down Under. Perhaps you need to move to Switzerland?

😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 21:52:58 #872248

>> I went back to your link and repeat my comments: “Those are very nice pictures of the Alpabzug.

Hi Slowpoke, thanks again for your kind comments about my photos. They bring back many wonderful memories of that experience.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 22:04:32 #872249

>> Certainly true if you come from Down Under.

Yes, it took a bit of juggling. There were two “musts” around which I planned my autumn trip last year: to be in Wengen for the first week in September, and to go to the Alpabzug on 8 October. I ended up adding an extra week to my trip to make sure I didn’t miss the Alpabzug!

>> Perhaps you need to move to Switzerland?

If only!!

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 December 2017 at 23:39:25 #872250

Bon jour Peterli –

Cat care –

As I noted, here is the ladder at Schafis as well as the one on the side of the Ligerz Town hall building that you posted. Schafis is next to Ligerz. Perhaps you know it a Chavannes? When I see the wines from that slope around Switzerland, they are labelled, for example, Schafiser Gutedel.

http://www.bielerseewein.ch/l ouis.j/

http://www.bielersee-tourismus.ch/sehenswer tes/historisches/klost ersitze-herrschaftshaeuser/sch afis/

I still have find the image of the one in Kaltacker. Once I find it I’ll post it.

[Added in edit –

Well, I found it. Attached.

Here is a design from the Emmental, on the side of the Gasthof Hirschen, in Kaltacker. I was driving by there on the way to Affoltern, and noticed the new wood.

The esthetics are lacking, relative to the designs in Ligerz, but the straightforward approach may well be fine by the cats. After all, they’d likely be straightforward German-speaking cats, perhaps less accustomed to the artistic nuances one expects in the French-speaking regions. 😉 ]

Thank you for the link you provided. I did not know that there were so many. That link shows, very nicely and very thoroughly, the variety of these devices. But , for my taste, I’d like to see a bit more of the ambience.

I also particularly like the designs similar to the one in Kaltacker, with a spiral stair.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 December 2017 at 23:53:04 #872251

Hello Alpenrose666 and Slowpoke and Lucas, and anybody else (perhaps Autumnz is still there ?) following this thread.

As a follow-up to my three videos from Lignières, here are a couple of sets of photos (six per set) from Lignières this September 23. I was inspired by some of Slowpoke’s photo sets to do this. It takes a while to make each of these. If I have time, I may do another one (or two). I am also planning to do one or two showing la Fête de la Brocante in Le Landeron.

I tried to correct the order of the two images (1 followed by 2) but was unable to do so. It seems as if once an image is uploaded, these is no taking it down. Am I missing something ? I added page 2 a second time and hope that the moderators are able to delete the top one (Pg 2).

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 December 2017 at 0:58:59 #872252

Hej Slowpoke,

I like the simplicity of that cat ladder in Kaltacker. I just wonder if other critters might be tempted to climb up and snoop around. Maybe there is a special door up on that balcony that only opens after the cat’s eye has been digitally scanned. Or perhaps it will only open if it recognize kitty’s particular “miew”.

A very beautiful area, the Emmental. A bit off topic, but I saw my first self-cleaning toilet in the Emmentaler Schaukäserei in Affoltern im Emmental about six years ago. I was so impressed that I uploaded a video of it in action to YouTube. youtu.be/Iml9le_OW2o You gotta love Swiss technology ! As you know, the Schaukäserei is a wonderful place to visit and eat and the views towards the Swiss Alps are lovely: http://www.emmentaler-schaukaeserei.ch/

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 December 2017 at 4:31:56 #872253

One more photo set from la Fête de la Désalpe de Lignières. These were all taken with my new (to me, bought on Ricardo.ch) SONY Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V. It’s easy to carry around and yet has a 40x optical zoom and shoots movies in HD AVCHD.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 9:17:23 #872254

Nice photos Peter – looks like a fun day!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 December 2017 at 9:48:51 #872255

Hi Peterli –

<<“As you know, the Schaukäserei is a wonderful place to visit and eat and the views towards the Swiss Alps are lovely: www. emmentaler-schaukaeserei .ch”>>

Indeed, the views of both the Alps and the countryside are quite nice in the Emmental You’ll see some in the thread liked below, about hiking in the Emmental near Langnau (more or less).

More on the topic that you started:

A few km. from Affoltern is the Landgasthof Lueg at Kaltacker. Not too far from that cat ladder.

If you take the Wanderweg from their parking lot to Heimiswil, you have an easy walk through a nice part of the Emmental.

If you scroll way down through this post

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may/page/2

to April 20, 2015 at 3:15 PM, you’ll see some pictures of that walk.

Continue to April 15 at 4:14.

Those images relate to your topic. 😉

Slowpoke

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    4 December 2017 at 11:11:06 #872256

Thank you for sharing!

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The thread ‘Itinerary help for my 13 night Swiss trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.