Domodossola landslide – Centovalli alternative?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 1:00:50 #815883

I leave for Switzerland on Sunday, and have booked all hotels for my stay. My plan Was:

5/14 – 5/16 – Bad Zurzach (Business)

5/16 – 5/18 – Lucerne

5/19 – Booked Gotthard Panorama Express to Bellinzona (overnight in Bellinzona)

5/20 – Plan Was to take Centovalli Panorama train to Brig, then on to Wengen

5/20 – 5/22 – Staying in Wengen

5/22 – Back to Zurich, for overnight before trip home on 5/23.

I am purchasing an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass, and had planned on seeing as much as I could by train. I was really looking forward to the Centovalli route…it sounded beautiful. Any suggestions on an alternative scenic route from Bellinzona to Wengen?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 2:42:07 #884853

Hello Beth and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The replacement bus service follows pretty much the same route as the Centovalli Express. I’d stick with that plan.

Don’t forget to include via Kandersteg between Brig and Interlaken. Then will travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 3:23:02 #884854

Thank you so much…do you happen to know if the bus will also be covered with my Swiss Travel Pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 3:31:46 #884855

Yes it will. The bus is just a substitute for the train while the train is out of operation so the route is covered by the STP.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 May 2018 at 5:42:50 #884856

As far as I know the road is still closed too, so the bus partly takes a different but also scenic route.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/landslide-locarno-to-domodossola

• The thread ‘Domodossola landslide – Centovalli alternative?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.