Don”t miss Swiss-German border at Lake Konstance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 11:34:58 #818209

At lake Konstance, at Kreuzlingen Switzerland, I found the official border between Germany and Switzerland- which btw is little more than just a painted line on a road. The line of modern sculptures lined along the border, define it indirectly. the array of sculptures ends in the waters of Lake Constance, keeping you all puzzled about how the border control works in the water!!

Kreuzlingen is a municipality in the district of Kreuzlingen in the canton of Thurgau in north-eastern Switzerland. This is close from Rhine falls Switzerland. If you are visiting Zurich you should visit Rhine falls and if you are visiting Rhine falls then Don’t miss this border.

It is beautiful and unique place!! here are all the details

Location and other details: shwechan.com/lake-constance-borders/

Video about this place: youtu.be/uaHiZhTpXzY

Enjoy!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 13:21:13 #895523

Thanks for the post!

An often overlooked area of Switzerland – but a beautiful lake indeed!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2018 at 13:23:47 #895524

thank you for allowing my post!! I really feel this is the hidden gem !

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 September 2018 at 21:24:35 #895525

Hello,

If you are interested in the border between Switzerland and Germany, take a look at where it goes downriver from Kreuzlingen. The border shows as the green line on the attached list. You may find Büsingen (just east of Schaffhausen) of particular interest.

Bumm
    Participant
    15 posts
    4 September 2018 at 3:42:08 #895526

Hi Peterli,

My husband and I will be spending 12-19 September in Basel and 19-26 in Lucerne.

We are keen to explore the Swiss-German border from Lucerne too.Could you be more specific as to where to go?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 September 2018 at 5:54:54 #895527

Hello,

Why do you not start your “exploration” of the border between Germany and Switzerland in Basel ? Lucerne is well out of the way from the border. From Basel you can work your way up the Rhein as far as the Bodensee (Lake Constance). You will notice that the border is the Rhein from Basel to just west of Eglisau, but after that the border runs all over the place, mostly not along the Rhein. Are you more interested in traveling along the Rhein or following the actual border ? Are you traveling by public transport or are you renting a car ? I would not miss Bad Säckingen/Stein, the two Laufenburgs, Neuhausen (Rheinfall), Stein am Rhein, the Untersee, Mainau (north of Konstanz), and the Bodensee which at the far end is Austria. As I recall, Lucas posted a report of his trip to Stein am Rhein which included some very nice photographs.

Bumm
    Participant
    15 posts
    4 September 2018 at 14:02:25 #895528

Hi Peterli,

This is our first trip to this part of Europe in many years.We will be doing day trips from Basel and Lucerne-Basel because of the Alsace region and Lucerne because of Switzerland.We have always loved Germany .We will be traveling by public transport .

Stein am Rhein is a must(loved Lucas’ photographs!)

would appreciate any input you can impart.-the transport system is baffling!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 September 2018 at 2:12:58 #895529

Hi Bumm:

Check thislink-

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/t he-tram-that-takes-you-on-a-dream-journey/7963548

To deal with your general question, look at this map and zoom in to zoom level 32, at which point the train lines become highly visible. You can search foe locations by name, if you wish.

map.search.ch/B%C3%BCs ingen?pos=694368,283640&z=12 8&poi=haltestelle,zug

Or, map.search.ch/Basel?poi=haltestelle,zug&po s=612424,269264&z=64

I have made the train stations visible. You can , too.

Under Points of Interests/ Traffic, check out the icons for different transport media. I turned on “trains.”

Mouse over a station location icon, and the exact official timetable name for the station will appear

Then, use the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I’ve been traveling on Swiss public transport for years, so it no longer baffles me. What in particular is your concern? Perhaps we can comment

Slowpoke

Bumm
    Participant
    15 posts
    5 September 2018 at 3:18:55 #895530

Hi Slowpoke,

To sum it up,probably fear of the unknown.

We hardly use public transport here in Singapore but am rather familiar with UK because we just plain got used to it.English is our mother tongue.

we have not done much planning for this trip( we still work full time)so I guess a couple of issues.

1)we intend to draw CHF from Euros bank account -ATM at Basel airport

2)transport -thank you for your kind reply

3)weather -beyond us

you guys have been most helpful..

Ar there any free walking tours in Basel?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 September 2018 at 4:05:26 #895531

Hi,

Your trip is just around the corner. Are you flying into Basel/Mulhouse (EuroAirport) from London ? And returning to London from there as well ? Time is short, so I am thinking out loud. Here’s an idea for you. For your first week, why not rent a car on the French side of the airport (it’s all in the same building) and do your exploring in the Alsace and along the German/Swiss border in the car ? For your second week, you could return the car to the rental agency (I think Europcar is the best, and Sixt second best) at the airport, and use a Swiss train pass to travel by train to Lucerne and visit all the places in Central Switzerland that interest you.

This is a very nice time to visit the Alsace region (lots of wine-production). I’m glad you have put Stein am Rhein on your must list and I recommend that you consider visiting Mainau, just north of Konstanz, on the Bodensee (Lake Constance). May I assume that the Rheinfall (in Neuhausen) is also on your list ?

If you do decide to rent a car, keep in mind that on the Continent we drive on the right-hand side of the road in all the countries, this since Sweden switched on September 3, 1967.

Bumm
    Participant
    15 posts
    5 September 2018 at 4:56:24 #895532

Hi,

We will be doing Sin-LHR and LHR- Baasel and return will be Zurich-Sin.

We are not going to be driving as we are not familiar with the roads.

We will make it a point to visit all the places you highlighted.Thank you all so much.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 September 2018 at 5:44:38 #895533

I hope you have a wonderful visit.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 September 2018 at 6:27:21 #895534

Hi shwchan-

Members of the European Union are parties to the Schengen Treaty which guarantees the free movement of people across borders within the Schengen zone. Switzerland, which is independent from the EU, participates via a bilateral treaty with the EU.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ European_Single_Market

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Don”t miss Swiss-German border at Lake Konstance’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.