Itinerary thoughts for 7 days 28/2-6/3; 2017

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 7:43:41 #810800

Dear swiss expert traveler, my husband and i have just confirmed our schedule to visit Switzerland (first time) as the above date. I (myself) will arrive earlier on 28/2 at 8:00am; and my husband will arrive 1/3 at 22:00pm night. Our flight return to Asia will be on 6/3 at 10:00ampm. I did some reading on the forum,tips from MySwissAlps; and it did give me some idea on how to plan our trip. Would appreciate much if you could give me your comments based on my draft itinerary, as there are places that i will travel myself and the rest (more romantic and beautiful scenic places) together with my hubby.Our interest are mainly on scenic traveling,

28/2- from zurich airport direct transfer to luzern- attractions: visit Mt Titlis/ boat Vitznau, and Mt Rigi,

1/3- Luzern city tour, and some scenic tours around too (mt pilatus), lake lucern? Question: husband will join me after touch down Zurich airport, in this case does shall he buy 8 days or 4 days swiss pass?

2/3- Luzern-Interlaken;

3/3-Interlaken (overnight here? or shall transfer to Zermatt after the Day Time activity in interlaken)

4/3- Interlaken- Zermatt (overnight zermatt, but seems many hotels are booked and remaining with high price).

5/3- Zermatt scenic train tour to Chur? then back to Zurich overnight? still thinking how to utilize this day. We heard St Moritz is splendid but is too far to go esp need to back to Zurich to catch flight on 6/3.

shall we shift Zermatt trip earlier to 2/3 so it has more choice on hotel and at better price? if make it earlier, how shall i arrange my schedule? And we have checked the weather forecast,most of the days during our vacation has rains and snows. Is our itinerary looks fine?

Thanks everyone in advance for your valuable comments. Cheers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 16:40:20 #858975

Hi Unicherish and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here are some thoughts on your itinerary:

28/2: I wouldn’t try and do Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi on the same day – There won’t be time to see both properly with travel times.

1/3: Here is a good day to tour Luzern and then perhaps in the afternoon visit one of the nearby mountains that you didn’t see previously with your husband (depending on when he arrives).

2/3: Interlaken itself isn’t a typical destination. People stay there for a few nights on order to visit nearby attractions such as Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn or other activities. Was there something specific you wanted to see or do in Interlaken?

3/3: See above

4/3: Zermatt is at peak season in the winter and finding accommodation there will be tricky, especially at a reasonable price. Here is a link to some nice hotels that you can try and book.

5/3: I like the idea of spending the day slowly making your way back to Zurich, via Chur, on the Glacier Express.

Which pass you and your husband choose to buy depends on how much travelling you do by train. Some people do find that the 8 day pass is worth the cost only when staying in the country for 5 or 6 nights. Take a look at the routes that the Swiss Travel Pass covers, and look at our page on How to choose on the best Swiss rail pass for further help. 🙂

Have a read through the pages I linked above and let me know if you have further questions!

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2017 at 7:44:56 #858976

Hi Lucas, thanks for the comment. Considering we need to purchase the ticket soon, I would like your suggestion on swiss pass, i understand that there is 4 days and 8 days swiss pass. However, which pass do you think i should purchase if arrive on first day (late night about 22:00pm); and leaving on day 5 (early morning). I am wondering whether good to get the 4 days swiss pass, then on the first day buy single trip ticket (from Zurich airport to Luzern)? Or no doubt to get 8 days swiss pass? Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 February 2017 at 9:37:23 #858977

Hi Unicherish,

If your first day only includes a single trip from the airport to Lucerne I’d say a 4 day pass + a ticket for that first day is an option, but it all depends on your exact plans for day 5. If it’s a lot of traveling an 8-day pass is likely to be cheaper, and easier to use. The last link in Lucas’s post helps you decide.

As you are from Malaysia you can buy the pass through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en or http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 and print it at home. It takes 3 business days or less to receive it through e-mail. More purchase options are listed here.

• The thread ‘Itinerary thoughts for 7 days 28/2-6/3; 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.