Itinerary for Switzerland 10 day tour in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 19:01:46 #812329

Hi

We are a couple from Kolkata, India.

Need your help to fix the itinerary of our dream tour of Switzerland in September 2017.

We will land at Zurich Airport & avail Swiss Train Services to see places.

We have planned as 9N/10D— Zurich(0) – Lucerne(2) — Interlaken(2) – Zermatt(2)-St Moritz(2)-Zurich(1). The figure in bracket indicates no of nights stayed at that particular location.

We have the following queries:-

1. Whether 1 night stay at St Moritz is enough or it should be 2 nights?
    2. Can Geneva be visited (Jet d’Eau & others) from Interlaken as base (Day Trip) ?
    3. Can Montreux be visited (Chillon Castle etc) from Interlaken as base (Day Trip) ?
    4. Is it essential to include Geneva & Montreux ? If yes, then whether stay is required at Geneva or the same can be done from Interlaken?
    5. We would like to visit Rhine Falls also. If the same can be visited while staying at Zurich for 1 night towards end of the tour? Or 2 Nights at Zurich is required ?
    6. If 2 nights stay at Lucerne to see Golden Round Trip-Mt. Pilatus, Lake Luzern, Mt Rigi, Chapel Bridge, water tower & others will be okay? Any other places at Lucerne ?
    7. If 2 nights stay at Interlaken (Jungfrau Region – Grindelwald & others, Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau ) is enough ? Further if Geneva / Montreux can be covered in a day trip from Interlaken, if one night stay need to be added?
    8. If 2 nights stay at Zermatt (The Matterhorn & others) is okay to see places from there?
    9. Is there any difference between Glacier Express – Zermatt to St Moritz or St Moritz to Zermatt?
    10. Is there any difference in case of reverse trip as above? Should it be Zurich(0)-St Moritz(2)- Zermatt(2)-Lucerne(2)-Interlaken(2)-Zurich(1)?

Any further addition of place is recommended if we want to cover all main places of Switzerland ? Considering the fact that we love Natural Beauty & do not want to visit museum / church? I can add 1 / 2 nights to our itinerary if needed.

Any other tips / suggestion.

Please reply to my above queries along with any other thing you want to suggest.

Further if you can give detail about how we should proceed from each base location like Lucerne, Interlaken & Zermatt to see things. We have made an overall plan but need help to plan in detail as we understand that time management is key to see things. Further base location will be key as we have to keep our luggage at base location & will roam around as Daytrip basis.

Thanx in advance.

Regards

Juli

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 7:36:35 #865421

Hi Juli and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This looks look a pretty good initial itinerary! Lets take a look at your specific questions.

1. I think 1 night in St.Moritz may be enough – but what are you hoping to see and do there?
    2. Geneva is about 3 hours from Interlaken, so it is possible to do a day trip there but it is a long day. When in Interlaken I would focus on visiting the Jungfrau region that you are already in!
    3. Montreux is about 2 hours or so from Interlaken and is a little easier to visit if you want to (and more to see than in Geneva I think)
      Be sure to check train schedules on the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips.
    4. No it isn’t required to visit either town – be sure to read through the town links about to choose where you prefer to stay.
    5. The RheinFalls are an easy day trip from Zurich – no need to add an extra night
    6. 2 days is quite tight to visit Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi, a Lake Luzern boat cruise and to explore the town of Luzern itself – I’d try for 3 nights and 2.5 days at least
    7. 2 full days at Interlaken may be enough to visit the key areas of the Jungfrau region that you want to see. Use the timetable in point 3 above to plan your trips.
    8. Yes, two nights is sufficient in Zermatt – 1 night may be enough again, depending on the activities or hikes you want to see/do there. Click here for a list of activities in the town
    9. No difference – same route no matter which direction you travel!

I would take out both nights in St. Moritz and head straight to Zurich. Add those two nights to either Luzern or Interlaken (or one night each).

If you decide you want to fit in a day trip to Montreux I would try the following route –> Train to Interlaken and drop luggage at hotel or train station locker and continue on to Montreux on the Golden Pass route. Then return that evening in Interlaken. It’s a bit of a day but probably the best way to fit in Montreux.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2017 at 12:23:38 #865422

Lucas has givenvu fantastic advise however i suggest add one night lucerne and one interlaken.

Actually stay in Wengen instead of interlaken you will love it after all we indians fo to switzerland to see countryside car free villages and green pastures stay in wengen instead of interlaken and do dayvtrips from there.

Add Mt. Titlis to your lucerne day u will enjoy and add ballenberg open air museum to your wengen day you can either stay in wengen or Lauterbrunnen check these areas interlaken is tourist trap real experience is in wengen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2017 at 18:41:44 #865423

Hi Lucas

Thanx a lot for your detailed point wise suggestions.

It will help us a lot to plan effectively.

rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2017 at 18:42:57 #865424

Hi

Thanx a lot for your suggestions.

rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 8:34:31 #865425

Hi Lucas

Based on your suggestion we have added one night each in lucerne and interlaken.

We are still considering night stay at St Moritz by adding nights to itinerary.We are planning to reach St Moritz around 5 PM via Glacier Express from Zermatt. Pls suggest how to plan for 1 night. We will return to Zurich from here.

Muottas Muragl / Piz Nair / St moritz Lake etc we are planning.

Further, if Bernina Express is recommended from St Moritz to Tirano & back in same day.

Also pls advice if any Visa is required if we take Bernina Express to Tirano. We Indians are taking Swiss Tourist Visa for our switzerland tour.

Pls advice.

Thanx in advance

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 9:28:22 #865426

Hi Juli!

We have a list of hotels for St.Moritz that can help you with your overnight stay there. You don’t really have a lot of time to do much in St. Moritz after you arrive at 5pm though (unless you are planning the next morning before your Zurich return.

I wouldn’t suggest also trying to fit in a day trip on the Bernina Express (a very nice, but similar experience to the Glacier Express) it would make for a very long day and I don’t know where you would fit it in.

I’m no expert on visa travel so best to check with your consulate. Typically, once, you are in the Schengen Zone (https://en.wikipedia.o rg/wiki/Schengen_Area) you are fine as there are no more border checks.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 19:28:56 #865427

Hi Lucas

Thanx a lot for your suggestion.

We have checked the Visa requirment & Schengen Visa will serve the purpose.

Should we buy Swiss Travel Pass for consecutive 15 days ? Pls advice.

Also if any promotion/discount we will get now for Swiss Pass ? Based on past trend if you can advice.

Thanx in advance.

rgds

Juli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 10:24:49 #865428

Hi Juli,

I would compare the 8 day with the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass for your trip. 8 days plus 2 days of point to point tickets (this can work if your first 2 days or last 2 days of travel aren’t too busy/expensive) otherwise go for the 15 day for simplicity and ease of use for all 10 days.

You can use our web page on how to choose the best rail pass to compare prices of passes and point to point trips – this is the only way to know what option is cheapest for you.

There are no current promotions on the Swiss Travel Pass – we note them here if there are any.
    I doubt there will be any promotions for the rest of the summer but you never know. Sign up for our newsletter here to be notified right away if something comes up.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2017 at 7:26:23 #865429

Hi Lucas

Thanx.

Our entire stay will be for 12 nights / 12 days starting from 9th Sep 2017 . So we will take 15 days swiss pass.

1. If Rail pass existing rate can be increased if we wait for promotion ?

2. Further as Glacier Express & Bernina Express reservation is possible 90 days in advance, can we reserve the seat there without buying swiss pass. Or Swiss Pass beforehand buying is pre-requisite ?

3. If these Glacier Express & Bernina Express reservations availabality is plenty & can be bought later ?

4. In a nutshell, should we wait for discount promotion on Rail Pass ?

Pls advice.

rgds

Juli

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 July 2017 at 18:32:05 #865430

Hi Juli,

1./4. You can wait until about a week before your trip if you want. Then you have some time left to order and print your pass at home. They’re usually e-mailed within one business day. Pass prices will not change in CHF (Swiss francs), and normally only fluctuate a bit in other currencies. You can keep an eye on prices here. I don’t expect a promotion before September because they usually don’t offer discounts in hig season, but I am not sure.

2. Yes, reservations and passes can be purchased seperately. Please see myswissalps.com/bernin aexpress/tickets and myswissalps.com/glacie rexpress/tickets for reservations.

3. Seats can sell out. You’d best reserve as soon as your travel dates are finalized.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 3:56:47 #865431

Hi Arno

Thanx a lot for your advice.

rgds

Juli

• The thread ‘Itinerary for Switzerland 10 day tour in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.