Clothes for Vienna Philharmonic in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2018 at 23:56:27 #818189

We will be in Lucerne to begin a hiking trip in a few days. We will have hiking clothes, since we need to carry everything during the trek. We won’t be returning to Lucerne, so anything extra is just unneeded weight to carry once we leave there. We are attending the Vienna Philharmonic at KKL the first night in Lucerne. Do we need to dress in a certain way for this? Would hiking pants and a button-down shirt with casual walking shoes or sandals be acceptable? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 September 2018 at 12:50:37 #895438

How would you consider people dressed the way you suggest in a concert hall in your own coundry? Ponder that and decide accordingly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2018 at 13:42:08 #895439

Well, where we live in the Pacific Northwest of the US, we attend the symphony regularly. I prefer to dress with a little care, but most are very casual and jeans, t-shirts and runners are common. Many venues throughout the world are less formal now. Is this the case in Lucerne?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    2 September 2018 at 14:25:45 #895440

I am not sure, but I think if your clothes and shoes are clean people should not complain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2018 at 15:12:45 #895441

Hi Jilly,

I think you’ll be fine with the hiking pants if they are clean. A button-down shirt is just fine.
    i wouldn’t expect them to not allow you to enter.

Does the website mention any specific dress code?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2018 at 23:53:26 #895442

Thanks for all the advice. We have decided to cope with this by taking a set of more “citified” clothing for our few days in Lucerne, and then mailing them on to Rome, where we also will spend a couple days. They will be waiting at our hostel when we arrive in 6 weeks! It will be good to get out of the same clothes we’ll have been wearing for all that time! According to Swiss Post, we can mail up to 5 kg to Italy for 42 francs, and up to 10 kg for 46 francs.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 September 2018 at 0:30:23 #895443

Hi Jilly –

<<“We have decided to cope with this by taking a set of more “citified” clothing for our few days in Lucerne, and then mailing them on to Rome, where we also will spend a couple days.”>>

Good choice. You could have done it in neat, clean hiking attire, but, you’ll be a lot more comfortable in nicer clothes.

The acoustics in that hall are incredibly good.

Glad that you’ll have chance to check them out.

Let us know your reactions.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Clothes for Vienna Philharmonic in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.