Dress code for lunch and dinner in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Jun 28, 2018 - 11:57 PM

Upon a day of hiking/sighseeing what is proper etiquette for lunch/dinner attire? Nice Jeans or shorts and a nicer top (what i wear normally out) acceptable? Or, pants/sundress more appropriate? Do I need to change at hotel before going to a restaurant? Our lunch budget is 30ppand dinner40pp....so basic, not high end places.

And, Is certain dress expected while touring/hiking? Is shorts/tank top acceptable, or a bit more dressed up, not so casual.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5164 posts
expert
Jun 29, 2018 - 12:12 AM in reply to autumnz

Hi Autumnz -

<"Nice Jeans or shorts and a nicer top (what i wear normally out) acceptable?">> Usually.

<<"Or, pants/sundress more appropriate? acceptable?">>

Nice, but rarely necessary.

<<"Do I need to change at hotel before going to a restaurant?">>

Rarely; only in high end places.

Cities and countryside are different.

Do you have specifics?

Generally, wear what is comfortable, unless you are in a city or going to a high class restaurant in a resort area.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Jun 29, 2018 - 12:14 AM by Slowpoke
autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Jun 29, 2018 - 1:01 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Lucerne and vicinity, wengen (dinners at hotel baeren), montreux/Geneva vacinity.

Also probably depends on weather...if I'm walking around town and it's 35c outside, different than 20 celcius.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018