Drive scenic Swiss mountain pass, May 17-20

• TravelWI
    Participant
    13 posts
    9 April 2023 at 17:17:42 #829527

Hello Everyone,

I will be near the Interlaken area from May 16-20 2023. I am very interested to drive through one of the scenic Alpine Passes during this time, at the very least a day trip. I understand most of the passes wont be open. So, I have done some research on my options. Can you please suggest which are the best options?

Option1: San Bernardinopass: Scheduled to open in April end.

Option 2:Albulapass: Scheduled to open May begining.

Option 3: Grimsel Pass:On the Bernese side of the road, road is open until Raterichsboden. What does it mean? Till which point can I drive from interlaken?

Option 4: Sustenpass: On the Bernese side of the road, road is open until Steingletscher. What does it mean? Till which point can I drive from interlaken?

Option 5: Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2023 at 23:41:47 #953141

As I can see from the wording you have copied, you have been researching using the alpen passe website. The English translations used on this web site are not very good (eg the phrase “open until place X” is not good English). In normal English we would say “the road is open as far as X”. That is therefore the place you can drive to from Interlaken . On all mountain passes there are barriers at various points, sometimes these are right at the bottom of the incline , sometimes these are at various places up the road, so that the road – once clear of snow – can be opened in stages. This is so that farmers etc can reach their barns etc

This barrier is probably as far as you can go at present on the Grimsel:

goo.gl/maps/fARXv1WsN5EVfvYZ9

I would choose the Susten as the Steingletscher is a spectacular view (my personal favourite on the big passes in fact)

TravelWI
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2023 at 0:50:02 #953142

Many many thanks!

TravelWI
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2023 at 0:56:14 #953143

So, to reach this point. Do I take A2 or Route 19?

Anna
    6362 posts
    10 April 2023 at 8:16:06 #953144

Hi TravelWI,

You can find more information about which mountain passes are accessible in May here: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo

Furkapass and Sustenpass are located close to Interlaken.

Regards,

Anna

TravelWI
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2023 at 15:30:46 #953145

I just want to understand which route I need to take for Sustenpass till wherever it is open.

Anna
    6362 posts
    11 April 2023 at 9:45:33 #953146

Hi TravelWI,

The Sustenpass is open seasonally, generally between June and October. Outside of this period, it’s generally inaccessible or just partly accessible.

Regards,

Anna

TravelWI
    Participant
    13 posts
    11 April 2023 at 13:06:45 #953147

Thanks. My question was, when it is partly accessible,which route shall I have to take? Route 11 via Gadmen? or A2 via Wassen?

Swiss_Sights
    Participant
    100 posts
    11 April 2023 at 14:32:06 #953148

Hi TravelWI,

To reach the Steingletscher the road leads via Gadmen.

Have a nice tour!

Martin

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2023 at 23:34:49 #953149

The clue is on the web page: “On the Bernese side the the road is now open to Steingletscher”. The Bernese side is the Western ramp of the Susten Pass (The other end from Wassen is in in Canton Uri). So as I mentioned before, you take the road from Interlaken (via Meiringen). Go to the junction at Innertkirchen where the Grimsel and Susten pass roads split, then follow ‘Susten’ .

goo.gl/maps/DkkbDGyKT9ZQ6e5z8

Note that place names are the more prominent feature over road numbers as the way of navigating Swiss roads

TravelWI
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 April 2023 at 3:07:26 #953150

Many many thanks!

• The thread ‘Drive scenic Swiss mountain pass, May 17-20’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.