Car in Luzern & Lauterbrunnen- Buy Half fare Card?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Pleasant6
Pleasant6
4 posts
Jun 10, 2018 - 10:40 PM

Hi, I need some help. My husband and I are traveling with our 3 kids (ages 10, 15, and 18) to Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen, about 4 days each this summer. We are renting a car because we are travelling from Paris, and then to Italy after Switzerland. My question is, if we have a car, is it a good idea to buy a half fare ticket? We would like to go to Mt Pilatis, Jungfrau, and Wengen, and maybe a boat ride on one of the Lakes. Our schedule is not set in stone. Will we save enough money on the Half Fare tickets? Anything else we should add to the itinery? Thanks for your help.

Lucas
Lucas
9215 posts
expert &
Jun 11, 2018 - 11:20 AM in reply to Pleasant6

Hi Pleasant6 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are planning on using trains, cable cars, boats etc regularly during your visit then most likely a Swiss Half Fare Card is worth the purchase price. You'll need 3 of the cards for the adults and 18 year old and then a free Swiss Family Card will cover the youngest two children for free (everywhere).

However, to know for sure which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. :)

Pleasant6
Pleasant6
4 posts
Jun 11, 2018 - 3:40 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi Lucas, thank you for your help. I will add it up.

Do you know of a good chocolate tour or a hands on type of experience that the kids would like?

Lucas
Lucas
9215 posts
expert &
Jun 11, 2018 - 6:47 PM in reply to Pleasant6

There is the chocolate experience, which is part of the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne. The kids will love both.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/museumoftranspor t

Last modified on Jun 11, 2018 - 6:47 PM by Lucas
Pleasant6
Pleasant6
4 posts
Jun 11, 2018 - 8:43 PM

Thank you!

Pleasant6
Pleasant6
4 posts
Jun 13, 2018 - 7:38 PM

Sorry, I am sure this is posted somewhere, but it is all confusing to me. If we bought a half fare pass with the family card for the children, would the kids be free to Jungfrau?

Lucas
Lucas
9215 posts
expert &
Jun 14, 2018 - 5:29 AM in reply to Pleasant6

Hi,

Yes, the kids would be free everywhere you go with the Swiss Family Card - https://www.myswissalp s.com/swissfamilycard

You can find all your old posts by clicking on your username - for future reference.

Last modified on Jun 14, 2018 - 5:29 AM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018