Driving conditions in the Jungfrau region, winter

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2017 at 9:01:45 #813791
    1. We are driving to Switzerland on the 26th Dec, to stay at interlaken. We plan to go to Schilthorn on 27th early morning then down to Lucern in the evenings. Please could you advise driving conditions and if chains needed for tyres on those days. If we drive to murren or any areas before so we take the cable to schilthorn. Is anything we should know or be aware of? Is parking easy? Or where best to park and take train ? 2 adults and 2 kids 13 & 16 so not be buying 1/2 fare card as we only there for 2 days . What’s the total cost for train and cable return.
    2. if we go Jungrau mountain on 28th early morning. What is best transport or if we drive. Where we can park and get off so we take train or need to hike up? What are train times if need?
    3. We trying to sightseeing these areas on these 2 days so if any recommendations for visits other places we missed. Please advise.
    4. But Schilthorn and jungfrau are the main places we will go and other areas are late afternoon visits.
    5. Places to eat at schilthorn or nearby that’s not too pricey. Please list a few options and after jungfrau.
    6. we leaving 28th evening for Strasbourg so any good places to stop off for quite photo shot in the way? Bern or Basel or Niesen Or ?
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2017 at 11:37:36 #872685

Hi Lucyliu88,

1. I can’t tell you if chains will be needed on those days (weather is too variable) but the Swiss are pretty good at clearing highways if there is a big snowfall. Check the link above for forecasts a day or two before you travel to see what it will be like.
    2. You can’t drive to Murren – only train or cable car. You will need to park in Lauterbrunnen and go from there. Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trip . You can buy tickets online here or at the rail station before boarding your train.
    3. You can drive as far as Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and then train/cable car the rest of the way.
    4. For ideas on what to do in the Jungfrau region click here.
    5. You would need to eat at one of the restaurants on Schilthorn (https://schilthorn.ch/ en/Info/Piz_Gloria_297 0_m_._9744_ft) or Jungfrau (https://www.jungfrau.c h/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/) – or pack you can pack your own lunch – shop at the Coop grocery store in Lauterbrunnen for example. Otherwise you would need to return to one of the towns to eat.
    6. Are you looking for mountain scenery or a town to visit? If you’ve had your fill of mountains, Bern is a nice option for sure as would be Thun.
    Arno
    15471 posts
    7 December 2017 at 12:23:23 #872686

Hi Lucyliu88,

If you have booked an hotel with parking at walking distance from one of the train stations I would recommend not to use the car for those trips. It’s much easier to simply take the train straight from Interlaken, rather than driving, (paid) parking, walk to the train station where you have to switch to trains anyway. Also if you drive you wouldn’t be able to do the Jungfraujoch round trip (up via Grindelwald, down via Wengen or vice versa).

The Swiss Half Fare Card will save you quite some money if you do both Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch. It costs CHF 120 per adult but you would save CHF 105.40 on the Jungfraujoch trip alone. The 13 yr/old would even travel for free. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2017 at 14:22:19 #872687

Actually I did consider Bern as it’s capital. But still thinking of Thun as we don’t mind sightseeing and doing small towns.

not sure about Swiss half fare as we worked it out. We only there 2 days and going to 2 places so not sure if exactly worth. As my son 16 which he can get half price on trains or cable I think! He’s only just 16 unless they need passport proof.

does anyone know if must have snow boot if we only just sight seeing and not much hiking.

my hotel is near unterseen so not near station.

If park at interlaken what’s the cost?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2017 at 16:14:55 #872688

Half Fares are only valid before your 16th birthday unfortunately.

To know for sure if the Swiss Half Fare Card is worth the cost (it should be with both Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch) you can use our excel sheet to do the math. While the card is 120chf, the mountains are very expensive when buying regular tickets.

You are probably ok without snow boots but I would try and wear waterproof shoes or boots as it may be raining or snowing in late December – good to be comfortable.

Yes, parking is available at Interlaken Ost for 10chf per day – use the Swiss railways website for more details: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.7492. html

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 December 2017 at 16:22:27 #872689

Hi again Lucyliu88,

Regarding the Swiss Half Fare Card: please see the amounts in my previous reply. You almost break even on just the Jungfraujoch trip, but if you add Schilthorn too you’ll save another CHF 64.50 per adult (a normal ticket from Interlaken and return would be double that amount). And there’s the saving of the child traveling for free, where normally you would have to buy a Junior travelcard.

The suburb of Unterseen begins 100 m from the Interlaken West station, so your hotel might be very close-by.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 December 2017 at 10:58:06 #872690

Hi Lucyliu88 –

Lucas wrote:

<<“I can’t tell you if chains will be needed on those days (weather is too variable) but the Swiss are pretty good at clearing highways if there is a big snowfall. Check the link above for forecasts a day or two before you travel to see what it will be like.”>>

A further note. The shortest route to Luzern (local German spelling) is over the Brunig Pass and takes about an hour. With chains, you would drive more slowly. The elevation of 1008 meters is high enough that the pass might have snow when the valley floor near Interlaken and Meiringen at around 550 meters did not. Although it takes longer, I’d consider the train, When you come back tired late at night, you won’t have to worry about the drive.

The timetable can help you understand rail schedules ( as well as other public transport.) Lucas gave yo the link.

It gets dark at around 4:30 PM.

As you approach any Swiss Mountain Pass,there will be a at least one sign along the roads noting (in German) whether the pass is open or closed for driving. In late December it is not likely that you will have problems, but , as noted, the weather is unpredictable. As one example, last Summer, there was snow at Männlichen in August, admittedly at about 2300 meters.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 December 2017 at 11:30:32 #872691

You’re absolutely right. As an example: today there’s snow in the valley (Meiringen for example), so there is snow on the pass for sure.

• The thread ‘Driving conditions in the Jungfrau region, winter’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.