Driving from Bern to Lake Como in November

• Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    3 October 2017 at 23:42:31 #813421

I am driving down from Stuttgart to Bern, staying 2 nights and then headed to Lake Como between Nov 17-21. Does it snow on the way to Bern and on the way to Lake Como? We are driving from Bern to Kandersteg, to experience the car train heading Goppenstein and then to Lake Como. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 October 2017 at 0:52:56 #870528

Hi Boredy-

<<” Does it snow on the way to Bern and on the way to Lake Como? “>>

I wish I could predict the weather that far in advance. I would make a lot of money. 😉

This will give a good perspective:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Slowpoke

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    4 October 2017 at 6:50:07 #870529

Hi Slowpoke

lol, 🙂 @ Predicting the weather.

Perhaps what I am trying to ask is when does the routes I asked about usually snow?

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 October 2017 at 8:03:34 #870530

Hi Boredy –

I don’t know the route from Stuttgart to Bern.

Alpine passes generally close in October. After you drive down from Goppenstein to Brig, you could take the car train from Brig to Iselle.

See details and links in this thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/scenic-drive-in-november#fqDzUKDW9mqS6 v8AAFcRTQ

Not all of the comments are relevant to your route, but you’ll get a perspective.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 8:23:53 #870531

Hi Boredy,

The higher passes are going to be closing now/soon due to snow. So I would be prepared to drive in snow or snowy conditions in November. There are several car trains in Switzerland that could be used for the trip noted here.

Also, read more about mountain driving on our page here.

Lucas

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 October 2017 at 4:20:30 #870532

Thank you folks for the information.

I think my question should be, will it be safe to drive on the highway from Stuttgart to Bern and from Bern to Lake Como? lol I was trying to ask if the route from Bern to Kandersteg to Goppenstein to Lake Como snow free to drive on mid November. OR should I just forget about driving through Kandersteg (cuz of car train experience) and just take the normal route to Lake Como. I am aware no one can predict the weather, but in general, during that time of the year is all I am asking. Any answers are highly valuable in making my drive. Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 6:24:36 #870533

You will probably encounter snow on a drive between Bern and Lake Como in November.

I wouldn’t think a lot though – but if there is a storm you may be diverted or have to use car trains or tunnel on other routes to get through. In the end you would be able to safely get from Bern to Lake Como by car in November

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 October 2017 at 6:51:13 #870534

Thanks Lucas for the information. As this is my first driving trip from Switzerland, is there a highway route/tunnel route to take to avoid snow on the way to Lake Como? Do you suggest I skip the Kandersteg to Goppensteing route? I mean from Bern to Goppenstein to Lake Como, does this consist of highway road or?

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 October 2017 at 7:18:13 #870535

This is the route from Bern to Lake Como, without experiencing the car train at Kandersteg. Is this route consist of motorway(highway)?

Are you gauge on the road conditions for these 2 routes during the mid November? Thanks

Bern

Switzerland

Get on A6 from Kirchenfeldbrücke, Thunstrasseand Ostring/Route 6

8 min (2.8 km)

Follow A1 and A2 to Via Sonvico in Canobbio

2 h 51 min (274 km)

Take Str. di Gandria and SS340 to Via Giuseppe Mazzini in Menaggio, Italia

46 min (28.8 km)

——————————————————————————————————-

This is the route going through Kandersteg -> Goppenstein -> Menaggio

Get on A6 from Thunstrasse and Ostring/Route 6

8 min (2.7 km)

Continue on A6 to Reichenbach im Kandertal

Continue on Lötschbergstrasse. Take Achern, Fürten, Hauptstrasse, Staatsstrasse and Bühl to Bahnhofgässli in Kandersteg

Kandersteg, Bahnhof

3718 Kandersteg, Switzerland

Take Bahnhofgässli and Äussere Dorfstrasse to Risetistrasse

Kandersteg, Bahnhof

3718 Kandersteg, Switzerland

Take Bahnhofgässli and Äussere Dorfstrasse to Risetistrasse

Continue to Lötschberg Tunnel – Take the Lötschberg Tunnel train – Continue to Goppenstein

Take Mittaltunnel and Lötschentalstrasse to Kantonsstrasse/Route 9 in Steg-Hohtenn

Follow Kantonsstrasse/Route 9 and Route 19 to Nufenenstrasse in Obergoms VS

Get on A2/E35 in Airolo from Nufenenpass/Passo della Novena and Fontana

Continue on A2. Take SS340 to Via Giuseppe Mazzini in Menaggio, Italia

Continue on A6 to Reichenbach im Kandertal

29 min (45.0 km)

Continue on Lötschbergstrasse. Take Achern, Fürten, Hauptstrasse, Staatsstrasse and Bühl to Bahnhofgässli in Kandersteg

2 h 51 min (274 km)

2 h 51 min (274 km)

46 min (28.8 km)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2017 at 8:28:34 #870536

Hi Boredy-

Your editing of that message is confusing.

It is useful to look at a map when discussing this trip.

The Gotthard Pass Route –

Google Maps shows the “normal” routes from Bern to Menaggio, which take you through the long tunnel under the Gotthard Pass from near Göschenen to Airolo. I dislike driving through that tunnel. it is smelly, and the oncoming traffic is close to you. However, lots of people use it. Lots of trucks ( die Lastwagen) use it, too. That avoids the higher altitudes and is open all year. It does not use a car train. Snow on the approach roads to the tunnel is possible. Snow is more likely be a problem on the roads at higher altitudes. The trip takes about 4 hours.

http://www.google.com/maps/di r/Bern,+Switzerland/Me naggio,+Province+of+Co mo,+Italy/@46.5284195, 7.5376123,8.08z/data=! 4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x 478e39c0d43a1b77:0xcb5 55ffe0457659a!2m2!1d7. 4474468!2d46.9479739!1 m5!1m1!1s0x47843d067e6 6a05f:0x829849a45fdf6c 27!2m2!1d9.2388285!2d4 6.0217068

The route shown can have major back-ups and delays on weekends.

Alternate Route with Car Trains –

What is not shown in that link is the alternate route using two car trains. As I noted in my earlier post on October 4th, there is a car train from Kandersteg to Goppenstein, and also a car train from Brig to Iselle in Italy.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/cartrains

With those car trains, you would drive from Bern to Spiez at low altitude, then climb to Kandersteg, where you pick up the first train. You get off that train in Goppenstein, drive down to the valley floor and onward to Brig, get on another car train to Iselle, italy, get off the car-train and drive to Menaggio.

It is possible that you might have snow on the approach road from Spiez to Kandersteg ( or, for that matter, anywhere in Switzerland). The descent from Goppenstein to Brig is less likely to have snow problems, because the Rhone Valley is normally sunnier and drier than the parts of Switzerland north of the Alps.

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 October 2017 at 8:40:43 #870537

Hi Slowpoke, Thanks for the clarification. So do I require chains or winter tires just in case? I didn’t know I could still use the Gottard Pass driving from Bern. What would your recommendation be considering this is a mid November drive through?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 10:32:37 #870538

I think snow tires are a good idea for November in Switzerland – although it may not be an option with your rental car – you could inquire.

Chains would not be needed. Check out the traffic information before heading off on your trip to be aware if any issues on your route.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2017 at 11:04:11 #870539

Hi Lucas-

There is some sort of legal requirement for winter tires in Switzerland. Cars rented in Switzerland have them.

I forget the details, because i have never brought a car into Switzeland in the Winter from another country.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 12:50:04 #870540

I figured that too; but (an admittedly quick) Google search earlier today only gave me links that talked about insurance issues if you don’t have winter tires and are in an accident.This is reason enough to have them though!

Nothing about a legal requirement, where the police fine you if they notice you aren’t using them. It always seems to be an issue after you have an accident.

I’m also not sure what the regulations are in Germany which is where he starts from. Hopefully after mid October they all have winter tires!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 October 2017 at 13:17:27 #870541

I figured that too; but (an admittedly quick) Google search earlier today only gave me links that talked about insurance issues if you don’t have winter tires and are in an accident.This is reason enough to have them though!”>>

Perhaps that is what remember.

Slowpoke

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 October 2017 at 22:08:14 #870542

Thank you for all the valuable information. I have questions on the 2 routes listed.

The Gotthard Pass Route –

Is this also called the Motorway route? What if there is a delay along the way to the Gotthard Tunnel? Is there a way out of there and get re-routed to another safe (or minimal snow route)?

Alternate Route with Car Trains – Kandersteg to Goppenstein, and also a car train from Brig to Iselle in Italy.

How long is this trip? Is this route more or less considered Motorway?

What do you suggest? I checked with the Germany Car rental, they claimed during this time of travel down, snow tires are not employed yet. They did say it’s fine to drive as long as the route we are heading doesn’t have snow on the roads. They also claimed Motorway routes are less equipped with snow as they will be cleared. Is this true?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2017 at 15:32:41 #870543

Motorways routes are less equipped with snow as they will be cleared – I’m not sure what this means…

In the winter I wouldn’t try for any scenic routes over the mountains here. I would go through the tunnels to be on the safe side. There may be alternate routes if there is an issue before the tunnel but I couldn’t give you an alternate route as that would depend on where the issue is that day.

Personally I would take the tunnel (fast/safer in the winter) and unless the traffic jam is insane (ie the tunnel is closed) I wouldn’t take any detours and just deal with the slow down.

Too many variables at this point!

We do list Swiss traffic regulations here as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 October 2017 at 17:16:57 #870544

<<” Is there a way out of there and get re-routed to another safe (or minimal snow route)?”>>

Hi Boredy-

Not really.

You have to change you mind before you get into the traffic jams. Keep track of traffic on the internet.

This map will help you understand the routes better:

map.search.ch/?pos=712064,144384&z=2

Zoom in for details, including the routes of the rail lines.

Slowpoke

Boredy
    Participant
    17 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2017 at 16:10:46 #870546

Hi Boredy,

I don’t think I would try and plan a route this far in advance. It’s fine to have an idea of where you will go but you should wait until the day before you set off from Bern and check on road conditions at that point to find the safest route.

• The thread ‘Driving from Bern to Lake Como in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.