Driving route from Milan to Lucerne in May 2018?

• jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    11 November 2017 at 13:20:10 #813650

We plan on flying into Milan, renting a car and driving to Lucerne our first day. With stops in Lugano and Brunnen. Our trip is tentatively set for mid May 2018. From Lucerne we plan day trips by either Rail or car. We would also like to do a scenic railway excursion. I have read the section on driving here. I will order my motor vignette on line ahead of time.

Question 1. What is the most scenic route to drive going to Lucerne via Brunnen.

Question 2. My wife is very nervous about driving through the mountains, The route seems gentle on Google maps but can anyone tell me what it is like.

Question 3. We have been to Mt. Pilatus in the past. What is the best way to see either the matterhorn or some other peak, from Lucerne via rail or tour excursion?

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2017 at 14:40:51 #871789

Hi jm5245 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. The direct route that Google Maps will give you is quite nice – you will travel over the Gotthard Pass if it is open in mid-May…50/50 maybe with a lot of mountain passes. You can check out this website to check if they are open when you want to travel.
    2. The website above has images for each mountain pass to give you an idea – very winding mountain passes for sure! You can take car trains in most instances if you want to avoid it (or it is closed) click here for more information on car trains.
    3. Well there is no shortage of mountains to visit in Switzerland…I suppose it depends on how far you want to travel. There are mountains close to Luzern – noted here. For a list of the major mountains to visit in Switzerland click here (if you want to go further from Luzern).
      Use the timetable here to check out how far these towns and mountains are from Luzern.
    jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    12 November 2017 at 2:09:14 #871790

Thanks for the reply. This website appears to be a lot of help. I will ask more help as we get past the new year.

Jim

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 November 2017 at 2:42:31 #871791

Hi Jim-

Will you be jet-lagged?

If so, your plan is ambitious.

<<“We plan on flying into Milan, renting a car and driving to Lucerne our

first day. With stops in Lugano and Brunnen. Our trip is tentatively set

for mid May 2018. From Lucerne we plan day trips by either Rail or car.

We would also like to do a scenic railway excursion.”>>

The Gotthard pass route is very scenic. More so by train than by car, as long as you do not use the new “basis tunnel.” The inside of the tunnel is not very scenic.

Why not take the train to Luzern on your fist day?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Driving route from Milan to Lucerne in May 2018?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.