Driving from Zermatt to Interlaken to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 7:30:19 #812025

I’m going to be driving from either Zermat or Interlaken to Milan, Italy. Wondering which city was best to drive from on about June 10,2017? I’ve never driven in Switzerland or the mountains. Is one city easier to drive from going south?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 16:26:14 #864144

Hi Rhondalovoll and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Zermatt to Milan is about 3.5 to 4 hours and you go over the Simplon Pass which is now open and shouldn’t give you any difficulty.

Interlaken to Milan will be via Luzern (almost) and take about 4.5 to 5 hours but no major mountain pass that I am aware of.

I haven’t driven either myself but perhaps another member has.

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 May 2017 at 16:49:32 #864145

Hi Rhondalovoll,

I would say Zermatt is more difficult to drive from. It’s car free, so you first need to take a train to Täsch where you can start driving. Then a relatively narrow road (in some places) down to the valley, and then again up and down on the Simplon Pass. All doable with some experience but quite exciting if you’ve never driven in mountainous terrain before. Tips are here: myswissalps.com/car.

Annika
    7103 posts
    29 May 2017 at 16:50:38 #864146

Hi rhondalavoll,

Our page on how to drive in the mountains contains tips and tricks. It may help you to find out whether you’re up for such a ride.

• The thread ‘Driving from Zermatt to Interlaken to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.