Recommended stops Zurich to Maggia drive in April?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 15:50:55 #820486

We will be driving from Zurich to the Magic Valley on a Sunday in mid-April. As I look at the possible routes, I’m trying to figure out which will have the best places to stop (with kids) to walk around, get some good views, and see some architecture. The most direct route – 4 to 2? Or heading a little west to go through Lucerne? Any recommendations for places in particular to stop ?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 20:48:40 #906956

Hi Aarghf,

Nice to hear you’re coming to Switzerland.

First of all we would have to know HOW you are travelling, by train or car?

What to you mean by 4 to 2?

Please make your question clear in order to get the best input from the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 21:15:58 #906957

We will be driving (see first sentence!).

What I mean by route 2 to 4 are the road numbers. Route A2 to Route A4. I am looking for suggestions of driving routes that include scenic or interesting stops.

Sorry if that wasn’t clear!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 7:39:59 #906958

Hi Araghf!

The route you will be driving takes you through Lake of Zug and Lake Lucerne, Andermatt and Ticino, which should all be quite scenic!

More information about driving by car: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r

Some stops I would consider would be Fluelen for boat trips on Lake Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne

You might not want to miss the castles in Bellinzona (Unesco World Heritage): http://www.myswissalps.com/ca stlesbellinzona

Here is a link to Ticino in general: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti cino

Perhaps others have additional suggestions.

Hope this help!

Maria.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 March 2019 at 13:53:50 #906959

Hi AJB1,

Locarno is worth a stop for the town itself, a cable car trip or the Madonna del Sasso sanctuary. All details can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lo carno.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 March 2019 at 20:04:03 #906960

Hello Araghf,

There are so many threads on this website these days, and so I usually check through the “new activity” to see if any people are driving or thinking about driving in Switzerland. So the word “drive” in your title caught my attention. When driving in Switzerland, be sure to use the letter A as a prefix when you are referring to an autoroute. For instance, in Neuchâtel the A5 is the (usually fast-moving) autoroute and the 5 is the old road that has been around for years, poking through all the communes along its route. Perhaps a better example is over where you will be, where south of Altdorf the A2 is running parallel to the A2 and these two routes continue all the way to the Ticino, where you are heading.

It would help me and any other person wanting to offer suggestions if we knew how many days you are budgeting for the drive from Zurich to the Valle Maggia. Only then would I be able to come up with some suggestions. All I can say for now is that if you do have some time and scenery is important, I would not do it all on the A4 and the A2.

One other question for now: Do you have a special type of architecture in mind ? You will certainly see differences as you transition from the north to the south sides of the Alps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 22:08:17 #906961

Thanks for the responses. We will take a short day to drive from Zurich to Maggia – leaving mid morning, arriving at our rental around 6pm. This seems quite doable, but will limit what we can do along the way. In terms of architecture, I am particularly interested in Romanesque architecture, but we would like anything notable of any era. (We plan to go see Santa Maria degli Angeli while in Vallemaggia).

It looks like A2 to A4 to E35 and then A13 to Locarno is the most direct route. Should we use that as a base and get off for sights and walks? It looks like no matter which we we drive, we will go through Bellinzona (on the way to the valley and then out and on to Bern later in the week).

Recommendations for alternate routes, places to get off the main Autobahns and explore, or places to stop for a walk and a picnic lunch appreciated.

We will be staying near Maggia for a few days, so will have opportunities to explore those immediate areas from there.

Arno
    15484 posts
    23 March 2019 at 17:21:28 #906962

Hi Araghf,

A2 and E35 are different numbers for the same road (national and European numbering system). Note that the Gotthard tunnel can be extremely busy. I’ve waited for the entrance for 2.5 hours once. So I would plan breaks after that tunnel to prevent unexpected delays. Motorway 13 is not an actual motorway on all stretches and can be really busy during rush hours too. If you can visit Locarno during your stay then may be the Bellinzona castles are a nice stop. See Maria’s link for details.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 March 2019 at 23:33:26 #906963

Hi Araghf –

Mid April will be a bit cool for a picnic in the higher altitudes.

Although it will not affect your routing, you might find it interesting to know that high Alpine pass roads typically are blocked by snow until early June.

This site gives current information:

http://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 1:29:09 #906964

Thanks for all the suggestions — and links. Is the route via Chur and the San Bernandino tunnel less likely to be backed up than the Gotthard Tunnel, particularly mid day? It will be the Sunday before Easter, so presumably a fairly busy travel day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 March 2019 at 1:33:41 #906965

Wonderful Romanesque-

<<“Locarno is worth a stop for the town itself, a cable car trip or the Madonna del Sasso sanctuary”>>

Worth a detour.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Recommended stops Zurich to Maggia drive in April?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.