Driving in November Montreux to Interlaken

• Bsiess
    Participant
    13 posts
    14 October 2019 at 13:26:52 #824197

Hello Friends!

My family and I just booked a very short visit to Switzerland, 2 1/2 days. We will be staying in Montreux and we are wondering instead of train passes to rent a car. What is like driving in November, say from Montreux to Interlaken?

We are thinking of taking this drive and pass thru Bern. Any other suggestions for a must see place or must see in any of these areas?

Thx in advance?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 October 2019 at 17:42:00 #923667

Hi Bsiess,

I strongly recommend to stick to the train for various reasons:

• the views from the trains are better in general;
    • if you drive, the driver needs to keep his/her eyes on the (twisting) road at all times, thus missing views;
    • The center of Bern is not car friendly and parking is expensive, it’s much easier to get there by train. The trains drop you right in the city center;
    • November weather can be wonderful but also nasty: fog and/or freezing temperatures. Not fun to drive, and it can be risky as well.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 0:03:46 #923668

Using a car is good for stopping and starting as you please when ‘off the beaten track’ but for a ‘trunk route’ tourist journey in November there is little point. Montreux – Interlaken is a easy train journey and if you use the regular trains you can stop off at intermediate points if you wish

• The thread ‘Driving in November Montreux to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.