Driving Lauterbrunnen to Cinque Terre in mid May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2017 at 18:19:06 #811313

Hi,

We are driving our car from Lauterbrunnen to Cinque Terre in mid may. I know it is a long day of driving can you give me the fastest route on highways and how long would the tunnels be? Or can I take a partial scenic route on a mountain pass without adding too much time? Or even on the fastest route is there still pretty scenery to see from the highways? Or if we did highways fastest route can you suggest a few areas just off the highway to stop and visit that are worth a quick visit and don’t add too much more time? Also will the passes in mountains be open on May 20th? Thank you for your suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 April 2017 at 16:38:32 #861117

Hi Sunnybunch,

The quickest route is the A8 towards Luzern across the low Brünigpass, then join the A2 to Italy just before Luzern. If you’re lucky the Susten Pass is open. That route is shorter, more scenic, but don’t count on it to be quicker. Drive to Meiringen from Interlaken, and then follow the signs across the pass. I can’t comment on the Italian part of the route.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2017 at 1:21:11 #861118

H Sunny bunch.

Note Arno’s comments about the Susten. Many alpine passes are not open until mid- June…depends on altitude.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2017 at 14:52:10 #861119

You’ve already had some good advice re the Susten Pass so how about considering another alternative?! From Lauterbrunnen head to Spiez then to Kandersteg and take the car train through the Lotschberg Tunnel to Goppenstein. From there head along the Rhone Valley to Brig where you can either go over the Simplon Pass (which is more likely to be open than the Susten) or, if it’s still closed you can again take the car train from Brig to Iselle. Then drop down to skirt Lake Maggiore then Milan then Genoa. Some stunning mountain scenery in the first part, then the Italian Lakes, the Po plain and finally the breathtaking drive along the coast. Yes, along drive but worth it. One note of caution – the Autostrade around Genoa is very challenging, invariably busy, narrow, twisty, lots of tunnels and NOT for the faint-hearted!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 April 2017 at 16:41:49 #861120

Hi Morpethian-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I recall that stretch near Genoa from a ride with our salesman many years ago. At night. You description is apt!

Seems like a long drive/day, as you note. Do you think it could be done in one day?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2017 at 17:13:11 #861121

Thank you for the welcome Slowspoke.

It will be a long drive/day (300 miles min) but I did a slightly shorter one in reverse back in the summer of 2005, starting from Genoa and heading up to Beatenberg. We travelled via the Gottard and then used the Furka-Oberalp Bahn and Lotschberg Bahn car trains. We were in an Audi TT so it was great fun!

That was a dozen years ago – I think I’d probably split the journey now!!

• The thread ‘Driving Lauterbrunnen to Cinque Terre in mid May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.