Driving Meiringen – Grosse Scheidegg – Grindelwald

• SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    28 April 2023 at 3:55:14 #829709

Is it possible to drive a private auto over Grosse Scheidegg from Meiringen to Grindelwald? Or is it only for bus travel? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    28 April 2023 at 7:20:09 #953848

Hi SummitClym,

Private cars are not allowed to drive over the Grosse Scheidegg unless you are a resident and have a permit. A Postbus service is available between Grindelwald and Meiringen every hour in the summer time. You can check the SBB timetable for bus schedules: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    28 April 2023 at 9:10:45 #953849

Hi Anna

We are staying in Wengen in June.

I have looking into this trip from Grindelwald to Meiringen on the post bus and it looks like you have to reserve a seat. Having looked at validity map the fare is covered by the Berner Oberland Pass. I have translated the statement on the SBB Time table.

VELOS: Reservation required +41 33 854 16 16 or info@grindelwaldbus .ch
    1/2 price for holders of a GA and Half-Fare travelcard

We intend to catch the train from Meiringen back to Wengen.

We have travelled as far as Grosse Scheidegg and back on the postbus a few years ago.

Hope this is of help.

Jane

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    28 April 2023 at 16:44:20 #953850

Good to know. Thank you!

Anna
    6274 posts
    28 April 2023 at 20:12:15 #953851

Hi Jane,

Thank you for sharing this information.

This route (Meiringen – Grosse Scheidegg – Grindelwald) on the GrindelwaldBus is indeed covered by the Berner Oberland Pass. You can also travel with the PostAuto bus on the Rosenlaui line from Meiringen to Schwarzwaldalp via Grosse Scheidegg. You can find the details here: haslital.swiss/en/summer/see-and-do/excursions/trip-destinations/rosenlaui-total/

Regards,

Anna

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    29 April 2023 at 10:08:54 #953852

Thank you Anna,

I have looked at the website, but think I will try to book the postbus ourselves in the first instance from Grindelwald to Meiringen as we would like to just hop on a train to get back to Wengen as they run every half hour. We intend to visit the Reichenbach Falls whilst we were in Meiringen.

I also thought the four pass trip that was mentioned on this forum earlier in April looked interesting, but we leave Switzerland on the 24th June and the tour starts that day. We will consider it when we come back again and stay nearer Meiringen if we are going to book that trip. http://www.postauto.ch/en/leisure-offers/excursion-tips/2023/mountain-pass-routes-in-the-central-alps

Thank you again.

Jane

• The thread ‘Driving Meiringen – Grosse Scheidegg – Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.