Driving Menaggio to Lauterbrunnen in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 13:37:52 #815526

I’ve decided to drive from Menaggio to Lauterbrennen (staying in wengen). I know a lot of people will suggest train, its easier, probably cheaper, i can enjoy the view, etc, but we’re travelling with a 2yo and 7+ hours of bus plus train with connections and luggage and stroller is a scary thought, we much rather a 4 hour drive where we can stop for lunch/etc to break it up if she gets cranky. After 5 days we will be heading to stresa / lake maggiore

That being said, does anybody know of a good place to stop along the way, maybe get lunch? I see Faido is a couple hours out may be a good stopping point, but thats just me googling and looking at the route. Any other tips on making the drive? I’m using viamichelin, its saying 4 hours total for the drive to lauterbrunen. Thanks very much, I may have bit off more than I can chew but we are up for the adventure and would love to experience a small switzerland town even if its only for a quick stop for lunch or something.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 0:09:08 #883214

You don’t give a date – summer or winter?

Note that the Gotthard motorway has regulated traffic through the tunnel (introduced after a fire in the tunnel a few years ago), so you can sit in stationary traffic for a while at busy times

Faido is a bit down at heal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 0:17:37 #883215

Have you thought about a taxi from Menaggio to Lugano. Once at Lugano station you would only need to take two main line trains with good connections, then the local train Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 0:46:07 #883216

Sorrrt first week in june.

I did not think of a taxi but that may actually make sense. I would have to figure out if i can get a taxi with a car seat

I know there is also a bus from menaggio to lugano but ive heard it may be hard with luggage, and we will have a decent amount plus stroller

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 2:47:30 #883217

Maybe try and stretch yourself to Flüelen so you can have a break on Lake Lucerne?

The Gotthard Pass is due to open at end of May…you may luck out with a scenic drive instead of the 60km tunnel….:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 13:31:47 #883218

>> I know there is also a bus from menaggio to lugano but ive heard it may be hard with luggage, and we will have a decent amount plus stroller

I don’t know about luggage arrangements for the Italian bus from Menaggio, but I would be surprised if they didn’t load it all into a compartment under the bus, as I would think that a substantial number of their passengers would be travelling with luggage.

The Swiss Palm Express PostBus, which drops off and picks up in Menaggio on the trip between St Moritz and Lugano, definitely has room for luggage in the compartment under the bus. However, its schedule is more limited than the Italian bus. It is currently running St Moritz-Lugano on Fri, Sat and Sun until 10 Jun 2018, then daily from 11 Jun. When it is running, there is just one service per day in each direction. Reservations are compulsory.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 18:57:18 #883219

so is the gotthard pass faster than the tunnel? Or is it slower but more scenic? I’m all into scenic, but also the main reason to drive is to save time as I have a ticking time bomb infant strapped in a car seat. Any way I figure it out, the train trip is 6+ hours and driving appears to be 4

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 23:34:54 #883220

The Gotthard pass is a mountain pass road so very much not faster than the tunnel. The hairpins up from Airolo are famous.

Looking at Lugano – Lauterbrunnen by train.

Fastest train journey on this section is 4 hours 43. It may seem bizarre – but is normal for Switzerland – that the quickest train itinerary is via the north of Switzerland .

If you travel on the right trains, there will be a children’s coach available…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 2:04:19 #883221

The Alpine pass is very much slower than the tunnel. But way, way more interesting. Be careful with Google maps in Switzerland, especially on alpine passes the timing can be way off, especially if you aren’t used to driving mountain roads.

• The thread ‘Driving Menaggio to Lauterbrunnen in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.