Driving the Gotthard, Furka & Grimselpass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2015 at 16:13:16 #807189

Hello, We are travelling from Bergamo to Basel on 31 May as part of a road trip by car. We were thinking of leaving the E35 at Airolo and taking Route 2 – The Gotthardpass, Route 19 Furkapass, Route 6 – Grimselpass through to Interlaken. We plan to re-join the E35 at Hergiswil and then travel to Basel. Do you think this is something we could do? Thanks VillaFan.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 May 2015 at 17:42:02 #842914

Hi VillaFan,

Thanks for joining us! I think the topic at myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/swiss-alps-in-late-maywill-they-be-open answers most of your questions. You can skip Interlaken, it’s not on the route you have in mind and not worth a detour.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2015 at 18:21:55 #842915

That is the time of year when the passes are just opening from the winter snows. I’m not sure of exactly where to get the information ( perhaps the link tat Annika gave will do it) but there does exist some kind of information on that point. And, on the approach roads to the passes, there will be a warning sign , stating whether or not the passes are open.

I thought that the Swiss Touring Club (TCS) had it on their web site, but I could not find it on my first try. (German, French, Italian only, but the information will be clear enough)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2015 at 21:37:09 #842916

Thank you very much for your replies. I shall keep an eye on the TCS website. Best wishes VillaFan

• The thread ‘Driving the Gotthard, Furka & Grimselpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.