Driving Winterthur via Alps to Milan in November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 3:21:39 #813288

Hello,

I am from Brazil and I will be driving from Winterthur to Milan on November 12th, 2017. When I saw where I was driving through via google maps I was thrilled as I have never been there but always wanted to see the Alps from close.

Then I realized from all I’ve read that I would simply drive through a tunnel during November as most roads will be closed… I have one night I can sleep in between Winterthur and Milan and I’ve originally chose Andermatt, but then after reading about the weather conditions I was thinking about sleeping in Airolo. If anyone can help and suggest a city where I could at least get out of the tunnel and look at the mountains or sleep near one, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Tebet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 September 2017 at 13:52:31 #869904

Hi Tebet,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! In summer you could indeed have taken the Gotthard pass road instead of the tunnel, or even a longer scenic route. But most passes will be closed mid November. The Gotthard pass is already snow covered today, but still open. It will depend on the weather if it’s open when you are there, but don’t count on it. If it is open, be sure to have a winter equipped car and know how to use it.

If you spend the night in Göschenen you can easily take the train to Andermatt if that’s the place you’d like to explore. You can drive there too on a curvy pass-like road, but the train ride is short, fun and safe, so the best way in my opinion. From Andermatt you can take the cable car to the Gemsstock. November is low season, so it may not operate when you’re there. It depends on the weather. In weekends it might operate. Another option is to take a train across the Oberalp pass. It’s a 20 minute ride from Andermatt, and it operates all year round.

As for driving you’ll find lots of information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 17:27:30 #869905

Hello Arno,

Thank you for the hints, they are really helpfull. Mainly because I’ve driven on snow a couple times only and they were no on Alps…

Anyways, if I get the tunnel can I eventually drive out of it? Where please so I can plan where to stay for the night and maybe get to enjoy looking at the Alps at least. Andermatt was chosen as it is half way to get to Milan with nice views. If you could point out another place where I could drive off the tunnel and get a place to sleep and maybe a train ride to see the Alps, it would help.

Thanks Arno!

Tebet

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 September 2017 at 20:01:21 #869906

Hi Tebet,

You’re most welcome! Well, Göschenen is before the tunnel and Airolo is after the tunnel. You can’t get out of the tunnel in between, if that’s what you mean. For the Andermatt trip and to see the Alps around there, Göschenen is the best place to spend the night.

These hotels would be suitable for that plan:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 20:41:39 #869907

Great Help brother…

If you ever come to Brazil count on me for anything.

All the best!

Tebet

• The thread ‘Driving Winterthur via Alps to Milan in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.