Road trip? Dec-Jan, Zurich – Interlaken – Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2019 at 16:52:14 #824463

Hi. End December arrival- we are family of 10 person. This is what I’m thinking and would love your input!

We fly in Zurich 24th December, then fly out from Milan 5th Jan.

Plan 1

24th Dec Zurich Christmas Market

25th Dec Zurich – Interlaken (Grindelwald & Jungfraujoch & Wengen,Lauterbrunnen and Murren)

28th Dec Interlaken – Milan

Plan 2

24th Dec Zurich Christmas Market

25th Dec Zurich – Interlaken (Grindelwald & Jungfraujoch & Wengen,Lauterbrunnen and Murren)

28th Dec Interlaken – Chur / St.Moritz

29th Dec Chur / St.Moritz – Milan

id welcome suggestions.

1) Plan 1 or 2, which is the route & road conditions good to self drive ?

2) So can anybody who knows the area please advise a route from Interlaken to Milan which will be open in winter to cars.

3) or better on another MIX options Zurich- Interlaken (drive), Interlaken – Milan (train)

4) Interlaken day trip to Grindelwald & Jungfraujoch & Wengen,Lauterbrunnen and Murren, is the route & road conditions good to self drive ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 November 2019 at 21:30:48 #925126

Hi swwcyber,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Firstly I would recommend reading these guides ahead of your road trip:

Looking at your itinerary, I would opt for Plan 1, which is the safer option. Driving from St Moritz to Milan in winter is really not a good idea. Some of the roads on that route may or may not be open at this time of the year.

Another thing. You will not be able to drive up to Grindelwald, Jungfraujoch, Wengen and Mürren. These places are only accessible with mountain railways or cableways. So you will need to park your car in the valley and buy tickets to get on the train or gondola up. You might want to consider getting one of the rail or regional passes.

A list of useful links for your trip:

Hope this helps!

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2019 at 17:30:01 #925127

Hello Anna,

Is it wise choice to drive in winter Interlaken to Chur ? I read the train is inconvenient for this route. We need to catch Bernina Express Chur – Tirano – Milan.

Many Thanks

Anna
    6382 posts
    16 November 2019 at 17:55:31 #925128

Hi,

It is possible to drive on the motorway from Interlaken to Chur in winter.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 1:45:27 #925129

Your plan might work OK in summer, but not in Winter.

If you are not a regular traveller to Switzerland by car, it is not recommended to use a car or drive yourself especially in winter – there are too many variables, including

• closed roads over higher routes,
    • possible weather issues even at lower altitudes
    • paying for parking at the base station of mountain railways and cable cars

Looking at all the things you want to do you would also incur time (and presumably cost) penalties picking up and dropping off cars at various locations. As you have already been told, You cannot in any case drive a private car to any of the Jungfrau destinations except Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen

Interlaken – Chur is fine by train. The fastest journey is around 3 hours 20 mins with two changes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 9:01:11 #925130

Hello swwcyber,

Thanks for your question! The only thing I would like to add is my humble advice; to consider taking the trains throughout your journey. I will attach a useful link that compares driving versus trains.

Driving in Switzerland, in particular the Swiss Alps and the snow, is a “different breed.” It is not to be underestimated and it is stressful driving in a different country with all the weather elements on top of that. My wish is that you and your family will enjoy beautiful Switzerland by train, and perhaps take some quick power naps in between 😉

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Road trip? Dec-Jan, Zurich – Interlaken – Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.